The "Around the Corner" episodes

wiley207

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, as these are for mid-to-late 1990s episodes, but I actually remember some Sesame Street episodes from when my brother was younger and still watching the show at that time. Most of them are from Season 28 (1996-1997), or maybe one is from Season 29. These are what I remember...

In one episode, it starts with Maria telling the viewer that she and Luis are taking Gabi to the cinema to see a family movie entitled "Moving to Cleveland," and shows an advertisement in the newspaper for it (it depicts a cartoon drawing of a happy family in their car.) But Elmo overhears, and thinks Maria and Luis actually ARE moving to Cleveland. He at first thinks Cleveland is "just a couple of blocks away," until Gordon (I think) tells Elmo that Cleveland is all the way in Ohio. Elmo gets upset and tries distracting Maria by making her say the alphabet over and over, until she winds up missing the movie! She then tells Elmo they were NOT going to move to Cleveland, but that was just the name of the film! I think the episode number was 3615; IDK what the other episode numbers are...

In another, it showed how Sloppy was born, but I think it was a rerun of an episode from a previous season, with a new episode number and different segments. I recall when Sloppy was first born, Maria was like "It's a boy," but then she looked closer and was like "Oh, it's a GIRL!"

Another episode had Sloppy going to the day-care with Zoe and maybe a few others. Sloppy is involved in a presentation of "Mary Had a Little Lamb." It included a live-action song from the 1990s about going to school, a segment where Biff tries teaching Roxie Marie about South America using a globe, animated letters of the alphabet appearing over a city, and the Sesame Street News special report about what the baby monsters want to be when they grow up (I think it had the original 1970s News Flash logo intact, the larger version that takes up the whole screen and was usually replaced in reruns with the 1980s version.) I also recall it featuring the segment where Lamb Chop and Shari Lewis visit.

There was another episode where some evil witch (I think it was a witch, but she was a Large Lavender Live Hand Muppet wearing blue or something, and I think Camille Bonora or Pam Arciero voiced her) used her magic to make Big Bird sticky, so people who touch him will stick to him. (She says "This is gonna be swell! I'm gonna turn that bird into a sticky trap!" or something like that.) At the end, Big Bird shows her one way to use her magic for good, by announcing the sponsors with them!

Another episode had a return appearance by Sir John Feelgood (complete with the unseen canned applause when he enters!) Barkley would love it when John would mimic a dog barking. At the end, after John has left, Barkley feels let down, but then we hear the barking again as Big Bird is like, "I think I hear another dog coming," but then the applause is heard again as Sir John Feelgood comes back in, and Barkley is happy again! A chicken announces the sponsors (it just clucks everything, I remember the number sponsor was one.)

There was also another involving I think some performance of Little Miss Muffet (and no, it was NOT the 1971 segment starring Jim, Frank and Jerry, and it was not the rare version with the story Gina read with Camille Bonora voicing both Miss Muffet and the spider.) In this, the spider was a Fat Blue Muppet, but had formal wear on, and "normal" eyes and black hair on the top. At the end, after they have perfected the performance, the spider says "You can find me on the World Wide Web!" :coy:

Another one I recall involved Irvine getting upset about losing her blanket. Any mention of "blanket" sends her into one of her famous tantrums. Maria (I think Oscar was with her, or maybe it was Telly) tries showing her videos of some recycle rap and "Every Bit a' Litter Hurts." This cheers Irvine up, but then she starts crying again when the word "blankie" accidentally slips out. They try reading her a book about Irvine's favorite things, but when Maria gets to the page about her "most favorite thing of all," she's shocked, because "the page is all... blankie" she whispers, and Irvine begins bawling again. Near the end, it had that 1970s "Crossing the street" animated segment by the creators of Billy Jo Jive, the celebrity version of "A New Way to Walk," then the 1990s fast-motion filmed segment about crosswalk signals. Then at the end, Irvine gets her blanket back, and all is well.

I'd be amazed if anyone here can remember all these episodes!

mr3urious

Reaction score
I remember the sticky episode. The witch at first makes a letter S sticky, and it accidentally gets stuck to Rosita's face.

ssetta

Reaction score
Moving to Cleveland episode: I do remember that one. I don't remember the exact episode number, but I think it very well could have been 3615, as I do remember it being on a Friday.

Sloppy is born: This WAS a rerun from 2 seasons earlier. I don't remember the original episode number, but in Season 28 it was 3640.

Sloppy goes to daycare: This was episode 3650. I don't remember any of those sketches you mentioned being in it, but I think it also featured "Shapes in My Room" with Telly.

Sir John Feelgood episode: I remember this one too, it was 3590. And I remember something VERY unusual about this episode; although it was a Friday show, it did NOT have the extended Friday credit crawl with the statue of Liberty. But it didn't have the CTW announcement at the end of the final street scene either, so there must have been a mistake.

Evil witch episode: Episode 3585. I remember it had the classic "Henson Computer #11" animation.

Little Miss Muffet: Episode 3670, from Season 29. It also featured the final appearance of "Telephone Rock."

Irvine's Blankie: This was also a rerun from Season 26. I think the original was either 3384 or 3389 (I'm not sure which), and I think the rerun was from 3626-28.

wiley207

Reaction score
Sir John Feelgood episode: I remember this one too, it was 3590. And I remember something VERY unusual about this episode; although it was a Friday show, it did NOT have the extended Friday credit crawl with the statue of Liberty. But it didn't have the CTW announcement at the end of the final street scene either, so there must have been a mistake.
You're right! I DO seem to recall it not having the closing credits for some weird reason, and I was like "Wait a minute, this is a Friday episode! Where's the credit crawl!"

I actually seem to recall the Irvie's Blankie rerun was a Friday episode (I think I remember seeing the credits at the end of it.)
Thanks for helping though; I already submitted a bit of info to Muppet Wiki!

Also, there is one more I forgot to bring up: one I remembered when the Number 1 was upset about being such a low number and at the beginning, but I recall near the end, the Count sings a song to her on how her position in the number group is important, and she feels much better. At the end, a crying Number ZERO enters, and it starts all over again (could this have inspired Episode 4142?)

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Also, there is one more I forgot to bring up: one I remembered when the Number 1 was upset about being such a low number and at the beginning, but I recall near the end, the Count sings a song to her on how her position in the number group is important, and she feels much better. At the end, a crying Number ZERO enters, and it starts all over again (could this have inspired Episode 4142?)
I saw one of the street scenes where The Count was singing to the number 1 at the Paley Center for Media. It didn't include the part about the crying zero. It was in a package which was titled Sesame Street Insert 4390 (or was it 3533).

The beginning lyrics are like this (I think) "You're the one, the only one, the only one but me..."