Disney Junior Channel launches March 23, 2012

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney XD started off really good, and then they go and pull all of the good shows (I'm looking at you, Static Shock -_-) and replace them with misguided attempts at catering to the older audience. To be fair though, I do like I'm in the Band :embarrassed:
I applaud it's Marvel Comics programming. That and Phineas and Ferb. Still, they just want the boy equivalent of what the Disney Channel has become.

Too bad we didn't get TRUE Jetix (the kind Europe had). Then we'd get a lot of classic Fox Kids shows back, as well as the European only Gadget and the Gadgetinis. They had to go and take them all down off of Youtube... grrrrr. Not even a DVD release in the US. But I found it highly ironic that they had shows that Cartoon Network felt they were too good to show before ToonDisney changed.

Yeah, but there's always three magic letters: DVD (Althoug there's more shows and seasons left that Disney probably won't release anyway!)
Disney hates to put things on DVD... or rerun them on television...or post them online on hulu...or even generally acknowledge them. They don't even put their current programming on DVD in sets. They just trim them to make "movies" and release them at 15 bucks each.

Walter

Reaction score
gosh..I wish that Disney Junior could just stay on Disney Channel and Disney develop a channel devoted soley to classic programming like Darkwing Duck, Mickey Mouse Club, and Rescue Rangers...

I can only dream of a channel where i can watch The Muppet Show AND Gargoyles in a row..I can dream, can't I??:fanatic:

Drtooth

Reaction score
gosh..I wish that Disney Junior could just stay on Disney Channel and Disney develop a channel devoted soley to classic programming like Darkwing Duck, Mickey Mouse Club, and Rescue Rangers...
The hot thing in the industry is 24/7 preschool programming for some insane reason. The original version of Noggin got it right. Preschool programming until mid-afternoon, older kid programming until midnight, late night classics for those willing to wake up late and watch/video tape/DVR.

That said, if you even have the cable network that includes Disney Junior, you pretty much have on-demand, I'm guessing. On Demand pretty much makes 24 hr preschool programming networks completely pointless anyway. If little Jimmy absolutely has to see Mickey Mouse Clubhouse at 3 Am, On Demand has it anytime.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
DirecTV doesn't have on demand. I think it's like the only one that doesnt.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even then, I don't buy the "my Rainman-esque 3 year old demands to see Secret Agent Oso at 2 in the morning" stuff. And if it's that midnight feeding jazz, you could put on a test pattern. Kids aren't that developed to get any benefit from those shows yet.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
They have "Timon and Pumbaa", "The Little Mermaid", "Jojo's Circus", "Stanley", "Rolie Polie Olie", "101 Dalmations" and "Jungle Cubs", but no Bear?! That's messed up...Why can't they leave more of the newer shows on the Disney Channel block and let this channel carry more of the older shows?
I think the reason why they refuse to air any older shows is because:
A. those were the most successful old shows on Disney Channel (ratings wise)
B. how Disney Junior treats the shows. For example, look at Timon and Pumbaa. Out of 85 episodes of that show, they only aired 10 of them, including the last episode of the show! (they only air a select number of episodes of some older shows on Disney Junior).
Bear may come on sometime in the future. Replace one of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse slots with Bear and call it a day.

If anyone wants to still watch Bear In The Big Blue House, they have DVDs of it. Heck, some people are potty-training their kids with the "Potty Time With Bear" DVD! But if you don't have money, there are some episodes on YouTube.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those with DirecTV, you'll be getting Disney Junior starting this Saturday July 14. Hopefully, Bear in the Big Blue House will be added to the lineup soon. (Bear already airs on Disney Junior Canada.)

Disney Junior will Launch Saturday, July 14 to Millions of DIRECTV Customers Nationwide

BURBANK and EL SEGUNDO, Calif., July 13, 2012 – DIRECTV and Disney have reached a new agreement to add Disney Junior, a 24-hour channel expressly for kids age 2-7 and their parents/caregivers, to DIRECTV’s programming lineup beginning tomorrow on channel 289. Disney Junior launched in 2011 as a daytime programming block on Disney Channel and expanded to a 24/7 channel in 2012. It is one of the most sought after channels by DIRECTV customers and will be permanently added to their programming options as a basic channel.

Disney Junior’s animated and live action programming blends Disney’s unparalleled storytelling and beloved characters with learning components, including early math and language skills, as well as healthy eating and lifestyles, with an emphasis on social and emotional development. The original series include “Jake and the Never Land Pirates,” “Doc McStuffins,” “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse,” “A Poem Is…,” “Handy Manny,” “Little Einsteins” and “Special Agent Oso.” Disney Junior also airs Walt Disney Studios’ and Pixar’s classic and contemporary animated films, as well as Disney’s many non-theatrical sequels so popular with children and parents.

“When it comes to children and families, nobody has the tremendous programming to compare with Disney,” said Derek Chang, executive vice president of Content Strategy and Development for DIRECTV. “Our customers have been clamoring for us to add Disney Junior since they first heard about the concept, and DIRECTV is happy to place our trust in Disney as a partner in building this exciting new family service.”

“We are pleased to reach this agreement with DIRECTV to provide Disney Junior’s high quality, valuable and family-friendly programming to their customers,” said David Preschlack, executive vice president, Disney & ESPN Affiliate Sales and Marketing. “We know parents are passionate about having top quality television options for their families, and now millions will be able to watch outstanding preschool programming on a 24/7 channel unlike any other on television. With the addition of DIRECTV, the 24-hour Disney Junior channel has distribution agreements that cover approximately 55 million U.S. households.” Disney Media Networks’ flagship Disney Channel is fast becoming the most popular programming service among DIRECTV homes. The number of children viewers aged 2 through 11 has surged more than 19 percent in the past year alone, and total viewership has increased 15 percent during those same 12 months. Disney Junior will now take a place in the DIRECTV channel guide directly adjacent to Disney Channel at channel 289.

Hubert

Reaction score
That's good that it's airing on the Canada channel...hopefully it will come here. It's been years since I last saw Bear, I'd love to watch it again.