New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
We don't need new characters taking up screen time from the other characters!
I'd like to see more of the classic Muppets.

After saying this, I don't want to read anymore about this movie! I don't want any spoilers. Excited already!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Good point, after finally getting their due after all this time I wouldn't like it if they just had to take a back seat yet again.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er, dunno if it's been mentioned already, but IGN FilmForce has an article up about Segel saying he won't even cameo in Muppets 2.
*Disappears.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The only time new characters took focus away from older characters was back when said old characters weren't recast yet... most obvious in MCC and MTI.

However, look at MTM. While it didn't have the sheer number of Muppet show characters that GMC had (Pops, Lips, The Jugband... all had pretty prominent parts). it did have some new characters that helped move the plot along. But even then, it was just some more rats and the advertising frogs. I'd tend to think any new Muppets would be there to move the plot along.

LinkLady77

Reaction score
I would agree with no villain as well. The Muppets are not Superheroes... And before anyone suggests that idea... NO WAY! Not every story needs a "good guy" vs "bad guy". Conflict and challenges exist in other ways.

Kermit and Piggy's relationship is probably the most famous aspect of the Muppets. Even during the years it was downplayed in the actual productions, Kermit and Piggy were always asked about the other in solo tv appearances. By interviewers who were likely just vaguely familiar with the Muppets. Their relationship needs to be present.

What would they be called in "brangelina" speak? They predate all these current famous Hollywood couples!!!

KERMIGGY?
Maybe PIGMET? lol

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
All right, before getting into the nitty gritty, I'll suggest that there's only so much obsessing to be done over details, plot, music and character screen time before we step back and recognize that no matter what happens with any of these things...

WE'RE GETTING ANOTHER MUPPET MOVIE, POSSIBLY LESS THAN TWO YEARS AFTER THE MOST RECENT ONE HIT THEATRES. There's absolutely nothing about that statement that isn't good news and doesn't make me smile.

Now, on to the questions:

1. What would you like to see as the plot in the new Muppet "comedy caper" type film?

I'm not particularly worried about the plot, as long as it achieves the stated goals of (a) concentrating on the comedy and (b) incorporating the classic Muppet characters. I don't think it has to be rooted in the Muppet Theatre (as per The Muppets) but I won't mind if there's some "connective tissue" to the most recent film as Stoller described. That being said, I really don't want an outright sequel and will be disappointed if it's marketed in that fashion.

2. What characters would you like to see have the leading roles?

I'd like to see "take-charge Kermit" back, now that he's dealt with the various issues that arose in The Muppets. More screen time for Rowlf, Statler and Waldorf, Rizzo and Pepe, please. And, of course, the usual suspects: Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Sam the Eagle, Bunsen & Beaker, Sweetums, the Swedish Chef and the Electric Mayhem (there MUST be at least ONE killer Mayhem song in this movie, as has been previously suggested).

3.Do you want a Muppet villain (like in Muppets From Space, Letters to Santa and The Muppets) and if so who, or would you prefer the villain to be just a human role for one or more characters?

I think it would offer more variety to the film, and to the Muppet canon as a whole, if the idea of a single villain was discarded in favour of numerous obstacles that the Muppets must overcome to achieve their goal (whatever that might be).

4. Whether they were in The Muppets or not, what five minor characters do you hope have a bigger role in the new movie?

The definition of "minor characters" is open to discussion but my votes go to Link Hogthrob, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Lew Zealand, Robin the Frog, and the duo of Johnny Fiama and Sal the Monkey. (I wouldn't mind Bobo sitting this one out or stepping back...he got significant screen time and some great lines in Muppets From Space and The Muppets, so let's spread the exposure around a bit more.)

5. What style of music would you like for the new film? Are there any characters that you hope have a song in the new movie?

As I've mentioned above, I'd love to see at least one big crazy Electric Mayhem number and, whether or not the flick follows the "Muppet road trip" theme mentioned by others, I'd love to see another great road-trip type of song like "Movin' Right Along."

Bottom line: LET THE MUPPETS SING! They didn't actually get to do a lot of that in the last movie (for new songs, anyway) and I hope that changes with this one.

Finally - I'd be delighted to have Walter back (I thought he delivered some of the biggest laughs in the previous film) and I'm not worried about new Muppets being introduced. As others have already noted, new characters didn't derail MTM or MTI and I'm sure they'd take their proper place in this new movie.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I wanna be happy about the new movie. But I can't for some reason. Becuase it's a comdey caper. I guess that means that it's gonna be like GMC in some ways. (I don't really like the idea of re-doing movies).

I've just gotta wait though. I hope this movie isn't rushed. I want it to be even BETTER than The Muppets.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
What's this that Nick Stroller said about a pilot episode?
Is that for The New Muppet Show thing? What's he talking about?

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
I wanna be happy about the new movie. But I can't for some reason. Becuase it's a comdey caper. I guess that means that it's gonna be like GMC in some ways. (I don't really like the idea of re-doing movies).

I've just gotta wait though. I hope this movie isn't rushed. I want it to be even BETTER than The Muppets.
Who said it's going to be like GMC in some ways? For all we know, it could be very different, despite being a caper movie. We can only really judge when we know a lot more of the new movie.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score

We just said it's probably not gonna be exactly like Muppet Caper I think he just meant it's gonna have that same sort of comedy feel. Doesn't mean it's gonna be something that's already been done. Again it's still early to make any kind assumptions. I was concerned too hearing the word "Caper" even though I loved MC as well but really I think that's just giving us an idea of what kind of comedy will be in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.