Dying Fleece Issues!

Animal31

Reaction score
I have used both Polar Fleece and Antron on my puppets, I love the colors available in Polar, but I can't say I agree it hides seems better than even the new Antron....

Nor do I think it has the same stretch to it?

Thanks

Goochman

Reaction score
I have to whole heartedly disagree. Although I never got to use original Antron and I've been told it's superior to the new stuff, I still couldn't disagree more that Polar or Blizzard fleece is comparable. I have used all types of fleece and as for what's available today, I think Antron is still FAR superior in every way.

davidmartiste

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up Tom aka TheCreatureWork. I have only recently started working with Antron and wondered why my seams didn't hide so well. It made me wonder "was I doing the stitch wrong?" I had a couple of swatches of the original Antron from a puppet making workshop I took a few years back. I decided to do a side by side comparison. I cut small swatches of the older and newer Antron. They were both sliced up the middle of the swatch and sewn with the same ladder stitch. The original Antron was obviously more wiry on the surface and the stitching disappeared immediately. On the newer Antron, the stitches were immediately visible giving that 'toothy' look. You know what I mean if you've worked with this stitch with any fabric other than the original Antron. The new Antron has a much smoother surface than the original and had to be picked and scratched in order to hide the seam better. Still, the seam does not compare to the one on the old Antron which needed virtually NO picking.

muppet88

Reaction score
Anyone know why they stopped making the original Antron? The original was 14oz as opposed to the 12oz they make now, right?

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Pepsico purchased the company and stopped all production for a brief period- the original Antron was made from carpet fiber- this new stuff is still made from carpet fiber but (my theory) is that they use a cheaper more stain resistant fiber. I think the original also came in 12 and 14oz.

Goochman

Reaction score
A tip for hiding seams with the current Antron....

Get a small wire brush, like tooth brush size and lightly brush over the seams. it works well and is much faster than picking. If you want a look like the old Antron, use a larger "dog" wire brush on the entire piece.

is awesome

Reaction score
Ya I've never worked with the old antron, but I am just struggling with the new stuff. It's almost easier for me to hide it with just polar fleece. Probably because the antron fleece I bought didn't really dye solidly, so you can notice the seam through the color difference.

TML

Reaction score
to get Kermit vibrant green I used powder procion dye. Kelly green with a sprinkle of RIT royal blue. Matches the MR poser (after many, many trials of types of dye)

is awesome

Reaction score
hmm, I've never heard of procion dye. How does it compare to RIT dye?

TML

Reaction score
It's made by Jacquard. Used for tie dying. google it! They are more vibrant.