Songs You Can't Stand

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Glee absolutely ruined "Livin' on a Prayer" for me... even hearing Bon Jovi's original causes the hairs on my back to stand on in. *Cringes*
I watched one episode of Glee and will never watch it again. It was the Rocky Horror episode. Luckily, I am not a fan of Rocky Horror to begin with so it didn't ruin it for me, but I guess the fact I was so turned off by it spared me from having many songs ruined :stick_out_tongue:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I watched one episode of Glee and will never watch it again. It was the Rocky Horror episode. Luckily, I am not a fan of Rocky Horror to begin with so it didn't ruin it for me, but I guess the fact I was so turned off by it spared me from having many songs ruined :stick_out_tongue:
I'm a gleek, yet the songs are really hit-or-miss for me. I can see why some artists don't allow their songs to appear on the program. I prefer it when the do something different/creative with a piece rather than karaoke it. Still, more songs are ruined on those contest game shows than by the professionals on Glee.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes, they really did ruin those songs... one thing I can't comprehend was the unusual censorship of "Sweet Transvestite"... they still used lyrics like, "By night I'm one Elmo of a lover", and "Sweet Transvestite", but the word "transexual" is replaced with "sensational"? Why is it only ONE dirty word was censored but not others? Besides, that one word messed up the flow of the song... I mean, that was pretty much the point: "I'm just a sweet TRANsvestite, from TRANsexual, TRANsylvania".

Princeton

Reaction score
Yes, they really did ruin those songs... one thing I can't comprehend was the unusual censorship of "Sweet Transvestite"... they still used lyrics like, "By night I'm one Elmo of a lover", and "Sweet Transvestite", but the word "transexual" is replaced with "sensational"? Why is it only ONE dirty word was censored but not others? Besides, that one word messed up the flow of the song... I mean, that was pretty much the point: "I'm just a sweet TRANsvestite, from TRANsexual, TRANsylvania".

They did that a few weeks ago with Cell Block Tango, which bothered me more than "Transvestite" (but that's because I'm too busy watching Heather Morris' yummy dancing).

Anyway, here's my list of songs I can't stand:

1.1000 Miles (don't know singer)
2. Bad Day (don't know singer)
3. Your Body is a Wonderland (John Mayer)
4. Don't Know Why (Norah Jones)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't mind "Bad Day" so much, no it's the greatest song in the world, but it's almost kind of like a musical pick-me-up, if you ask me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And on the subject of songs being ruined, here's another one...

A while back, I don't remember what daytime talk show it was on, but Miley Cyrus did an absolutely terrible cover of Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation"... horribly off-key, and all the more humiliating, Joan Jett was singing with her.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
And on the subject of songs being ruined, here's another one...

A while back, I don't remember what daytime talk show it was on, but Miley Cyrus did an absolutely terrible cover of Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation"... horribly off-key, and all the more humiliating, Joan Jett was singing with her.

I think I died a little a on the inside

Drtooth

Reaction score
I understand Gaga's role as provocateur and her modern-day Warhol entourage type wardrobe. She's creative and a very talented pianist and singer. An artist that can actually sing and play an instrument is unfortunately uncommon these days. However, her songwriting seems to swipe a lot from everybody else. She should just have somebody else write for her instead. For better or worse I don't see much career longevity for her like Cher or Madonna have experienced because in the end it comes down to songwriting.
Absolutely... but when it comes to the field of modern pop music, she's at the very least one adapt to it. And I'm talking about the field of Kei$ha's lame emasculation pop, and L(a)M(e)FA(il)(p)O(p) that write one party rock club song that gets overused over and over. She's quyite good as a pop artist, but I do agree... there are types of music she's MUCH better at than the one that made her famous. I usually give slack to aging musicians that do old jazz standards, but she's actually MADE for that. She's so incredibly adapt at playing music that's the polar opposite of her onstage brand.

Still, I'm one of the few that like her better than Madonna. I NEVER liked Madonna, save for the fact she had the sense of humor to let Weird Al lampoon her song as Like a Surgeon (which, Weird Al yet again proves his version is superior). Dick Tracy is one of my favorite movies for some reason, and even I find her presense there more commercial than necissary (especially since Mandy Patankin does a better job as 88 Keyes).

I tried VERY VERY VERY hard to watch Glee. I just can't. There's something off about the whole thing that I can't point my finger on. Sue's the only bright spot on the show. Everyone on the show has talent... it's just... something about the show just doesn't sit right with me.

But I agree. I very much disliked the Rocky Horror episode (save for Sue's Dick Dasdardly type role in it) because I'm a BIG fan of Rocky Horror. Some of the songs fell completely flat, and I give them credit for doing something "different" for Sweet Transvestite... but the reason why that's such a great song is that Tim Curry has so much fun with it. He growls and snarls sexually, almost channeling a parody of Mick Jagger. The girl they got singing it sang it too straight.

Plus, I think they ruined "Don't Stop Believing." That's not even Journey's best song. Now it's like the one song they ever did, and I blame Glee for that. Plus Family Guy's cover was so much funnier.

mr3urious

Reaction score
and L(a)M(e)FA(il)(p)O(p) that write one party rock club song that gets overused over and over.
The only reason they're around is because of nepotism. One of the guys just happens to be the grandfather of a famous Motown producer.