Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Just when I thought toy manufacturers couldn't sink any lower, they have what they call Classic Battleship: the Movie game.

Yes, they made a game, based on a movie, based on a game. Its just like normal, not-electronic Battleship, but I guess one player has alien ships or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You realize that's half the reason they made that movie, right? That's like the Transformers toys that look like the movie versions of themselves. Battleship was made for no other reason than to sell merchandise. And thankfully, it doesn't stray too far from a board game. Just Hasbro's crummy Lego knockoff.

But now that I think of it... I know virtually nothing of any kiddy movies that aren't CGI coming out this summer. There's usually one or two I'm complaining about by now. Thankfully, the only thing I'm ticked about is that I have to see Ice Age 4 to see a theatrical Simpsons short.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
There is a Candy Land movie in the works and there were also Ouija and Viewmaster films in development that lost funding after a couple years. Not kidding.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Candy Land I get, but...Ouija board and Viewmaster?

I guess a Ouija board movie wouldn't be any different than all the generic horror movies about people playing with Ouija boards summoning evil spirits, but what on earth would you make a Viewmaster movie about? O_0

Drtooth

Reaction score
There is a Candy Land movie in the works and there were also Ouija and Viewmaster films in development that lost funding after a couple years. Not kidding.
That's still better than seeing this Weegee in theaters...

But seriously.

Back to the movie merchandising...

If you think Battleship the game the movie the game is the worst movie merchandising of the year... here's the most counter intuitive thing being marketed to kids this year...

Madagascar freaking Tofu. A movie about a Lion is selling Tofu. Sure, there's the usual stuff... ice pops shaped like The Skipper's head, McDonalds figures, Airhead bars... But TOFU?!?!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Gotta give them credit for marketing something different :stick_out_tongue:

But really, what kid would want to eat tofu? I don't even eat the tofu that my school puts in their rice dishes

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I'm very excited about TDKR. I'm not so sure if it'll be as good as TDK but I'm hoping it is. The Amazing Spider-Man looks interesting enough. It looks like they won't screw that up.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
That's still better than seeing this Weegee in theaters...

But seriously.

Back to the movie merchandising...

If you think Battleship the game the movie the game is the worst movie merchandising of the year... here's the most counter intuitive thing being marketed to kids this year...

Madagascar freaking Tofu. A movie about a Lion is selling Tofu. Sure, there's the usual stuff... ice pops shaped like The Skipper's head, McDonalds figures, Airhead bars... But TOFU?!?!
I guess tofu makes more sense than selling kids diabetes. I just don't think it will work. Kids don't purchase it and tofu requires preparation before it becomes appealing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But really, what kid would want to eat tofu? I don't even eat the tofu that my school puts in their rice dishes
Kids of Vegans who force their vegan lifestyle on their kids? The couple times I actually ate tofu was awful. It's like a rancid mushroom with the texture of a rancid boiled and burnt egg.

I guess tofu makes more sense than selling kids diabetes. I just don't think it will work. Kids don't purchase it and tofu requires preparation before it becomes appealing.
I get carrots and fruits. I remember Bugs Bunny on snack sized packages of carrots with some sort of peanut butter dip (or something). I think that would work better.

But still... considering the first movie was about a Lion who had to fight his primal instincts for fear of eating his Zebra friend... either it's fitting or the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Still... they also have them on packages of raisins. but personally, I'd rather just have them release the 2 Pez dispensers they only released in Europe the last go around. They did release the Penguin one over here as a Wal*Mart exclusive if you bought the DVD special pack of the second film. I was too far away to frequent Wal*Mart, so I missed out on that opportunity.

But if they don't release a line of rainbow Afro Circus wigs... lost opportunity.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
A Viewmaster movie! Wow! I can't even imagine what the plot would be. That sounds like the most boring concept for a film either, unless some production company decides that Connect Four is ripe for a blockbuster.