Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Huh, Since Nobody's Gonna Post On This, Probaly For Now, I Figured I'd Post The Box Office Records This Weekend...
Huh, it's way too early to post this week's receipts. It's Saturday! The weekend box office isn't over yet. It's traditional to wait until Sunday afternoon to post the estimates. It doesn't matter who posts the weekly/weekend turnout, but let's make a point of waiting until then so that we don't create confusion. :wisdom:

Actually, this week we should wait until Monday due to the 4-day weekend. It's Saturday morning. I don't see how in the world they could legitimately estimate Saturday, Sunday and Monday's box office so listing it right now is completely strange. :skeptical:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
My dad downloaded a rip of Battleship and in limited exposure to it I can honestly say it might be one of the most soulless, contrived things I have ever seen. It doesn't seem like real people were involved in the making of it. I'm all for cool effects (I loved The Avengers), but it needs a good story and genuine emotion, and this didn't have either of those.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Even if the week still isn't over, I'm glad to see The Avengers still strong at #2. Also, I'm surprised to see Men in Black 3 at #1 in its first week... then again it's Will Smith, he's a moneymaker!

Anyways, I thought I should also give my take on Battleship. While it's 70% fights/30% plot was not terrible, it was not the best movie of the summer. Taylor Kitsch almost redeemed himself from John Carter, but it didn't make up for the fact that this will not be grossing high. Overall, I give it :insatiable::insatiable::insatiable: and 1/2 insatiable Cookie Monsters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So glad that Battleship has dropped, but I wonder if MIB3 is actually that good
I just came from seeing it yesterday. It depends on what you're looking for, but I'd say it was brilliant. The problem with Men in Black 2 was that it tried TOO hard to recapture what made the first one special. This one went in another direction. It has a couple gags that they've done before (Weird celebrity= Alien), but it manages to be it's own thing... and that's GOOD. It's not exactly crawling with weird alien creatures, instead focusing on one big bad guy and a couple incidentals who are important to the plot.

I'll also say that I was almost disappointed Jeebs, Frank the Pug, and the Twins were no where in sight. But then again, I didn't exactly like how Frank was in the sequel. And they weren't very necessary to the story.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I just came from seeing it yesterday. It depends on what you're looking for, but I'd say it was brilliant. The problem with Men in Black 2 was that it tried TOO hard to recapture what made the first one special. This one went in another direction. It has a couple gags that they've done before (Weird celebrity= Alien), but it manages to be it's own thing... and that's GOOD. It's not exactly crawling with weird alien creatures, instead focusing on one big bad guy and a couple incidentals who are important to the plot.

I'll also say that I was almost disappointed Jeebs, Frank the Pug, and the Twins were no where in sight. But then again, I didn't exactly like how Frank was in the sequel. And they weren't very necessary to the story.
Wow. This is a film that shut down production several times. They recasted and retooled the film and spent a fortune in the process. It's good to hear that they not only salvaged the movie, but made something that's actually good. I'll be seeing it soon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow. This is a film that shut down production several times. They recasted and retooled the film and spent a fortune in the process. It's good to hear that they not only salvaged the movie, but made something that's actually good. I'll be seeing it soon.
Well, I'm really close to MIB, so I have a biased. My main problem with the franchise is that the cartoon series surpasses the movies in concept and execution. I mean, I'd LOVE to see them make a movie about Agent Alpha. Not to mention they took the Worm's coffee obsession to crazy levels in the animated series. Even the plotline of the third movie was done to an extent in the series... of course, it still was about time travel and multiple levels of possible futures... but it was actually about Agent J screwing around with alien technology that causes his I.Q. to accelerate to the point he noticed multiple Agents being wiped out of existence by a militant anti-Alien conspiracy nut.

But the result was decent, at least better than the second. It did it's own thing, didn't need to copy the first one. Like how the second one ends with the universe being in a locker, cloning the first movie's big reveal of the universe being a marble in an alien being's game.

That's kinda why Ghostbusters 2, while good a movie in its own right, just didn't have what the first film did.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well, I'm really close to MIB, so I have a biased. My main problem with the franchise is that the cartoon series surpasses the movies in concept and execution. I mean, I'd LOVE to see them make a movie about Agent Alpha. Not to mention they took the Worm's coffee obsession to crazy levels in the animated series. Even the plotline of the third movie was done to an extent in the series... of course, it still was about time travel and multiple levels of possible futures... but it was actually about Agent J screwing around with alien technology that causes his I.Q. to accelerate to the point he noticed multiple Agents being wiped out of existence by a militant anti-Alien conspiracy nut.

But the result was decent, at least better than the second. It did it's own thing, didn't need to copy the first one. Like how the second one ends with the universe being in a locker, cloning the first movie's big reveal of the universe being a marble in an alien being's game.

That's kinda why Ghostbusters 2, while good a movie in its own right, just didn't have what the first film did.
GB2 had some good scenes, but didn't work at all as a film. Especially not one in the GB franchise.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ghostbusters 2 was a rare example of the harmless sequel that perhaps wasn't as good but still managed to be entertaining and didn't ruin the memory of the first one, at least not for me. I guess I like all the feel good New York pride stuff, lol.

The first film, while definitely classic, was saddled with the origin story and I do get tired of that after awhile with films in general.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ghostbusters 2 was a rare example of the harmless sequel that perhaps wasn't as good but still managed to be entertaining and didn't ruin the memory of the first one, at least not for me. I guess I like all the feel good New York pride stuff, lol.
The problem with GB2 was that in between the first and second one, the cartoon series happened. It tried very hard not to be the cartoon series, yet it sorta turned into it somehow. It's a good movie, but I think too much of the plot is saddled with "Everyone broke up and we have to get the gang back together." That's kinda the same problem with MIB2. Plus, I didn't like how dismissive J was of all the agents he was paired up with, especially revealing that he dumped Agent L before the movie started. And, like I said, the cartoon series had better concepts and took the original movie into canon (Real Ghostbusters did that too. The two episodes that came with the GB2 DVD in the Ghostbusters DVD set had events recalling those of the two movies).