What went wrong with Muppets from Space?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know where it was stated, but what was Travelling Matt's supposed cameo?
All I remember is that it was supposed to be during the sequence at the end where everyone was at Cape Doom waiting for the ship. Matt was supposedly writing a postcard or commenting on how strange everyone looked.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Just watched this for the first time in a long time, and I have to agree with most of what was being said, but I do have one question. Why was Frank Oz not available to perform most of the time during the filming? I know he was probably directing something, but I'm sure he had to have had a contract that obligated him to perform x number of scenes or something. Fozzie seemed to be the most off of all his characters, IMO, throughout the film.

Aside from that the most notable thing about the movie was playing Spot-The-Muppet at the beginning. Nothing exceptional, nothing terrible. I thought it was harmless.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just watched this for the first time in a long time, and I have to agree with most of what was being said, but I do have one question. Why was Frank Oz not available to perform most of the time during the filming? I know he was probably directing something, but I'm sure he had to have had a contract that obligated him to perform x number of scenes or something. Fozzie seemed to be the most off of all his characters, IMO, throughout the film.
And it's not even just that. They had 3 of Frank's biggest characters in one whole sequence, and they didn't really do much of anything too in character or even notable. Somehow it feels like the movie should have had room for the Muppets to split up in COVNET and have separate adventures trying to find Gonzo, and just having him pop up just behind Kermit when they least expect it. If there's one thing in the movie that needed to be better, it's the COVNET breakout.

Somehow I'd rather they have been just in time for the alien ship to arrive than to have them wait forever for it and have Gonzo lose faith in it showing up.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The breakout sequence seemed lethargic to me. Fozzie didn't do much and Animal just had that odd gag with Kathy Griffin. It seemed to me like some parts of it might have been axed from the script or something. 88 minutes, taking time out for opening and closing credits, is pretty light for a movie.

Walter

Reaction score
Something went wrong with it?? I'm not suppossed to like it??? Oh no!!!:eek:

Seriously though, as much as I like Gonzo.. I feel like the reason the movie didn't feel as strong is because Gonzo does not really relate with any other characters(besides Camilla). I mean, when you look into the Muppets past and the friendship moments they had.. Kermit and Piggy, Kermit and Fozzie, Rizzo and Pepe, They don't really click with Gonzo as well.. I mean, the last thing I can remember Piggy saying to Gonzo that was not insulting or negative was "Gonzo, is Camilla okay?" from TMTM. Gonzo is the black sheep..The weirdo.. and that's his character. When I look back at The Muppet Show even today, I always felt bad for Gonzo because it seemed liked he was the most distant from everyone else..I know that they DO like Gonzo and would do anything for him. But still, Gonzo is,in my opinion, the most distant of the main characters.

In the end, Gonzo is probably the most difficult of the main characters to write for let alone script an ENTIRE FILM around.. I think the movie was a good time and the only nitpick I have is the lack of Muppet songs. (It sure beats MWoOz for sure!!)

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Seriously though, as much as I like Gonzo.. I feel like the reason the movie didn't feel as strong is because Gonzo does not really relate with any other characters(besides Camilla). I mean, when you look into the Muppets past and the friendship moments they had.. Kermit and Piggy, Kermit and Fozzie, Rizzo and Pepe, They don't really click with Gonzo as well.. I mean, the last thing I can remember Piggy saying to Gonzo that was not insulting or negative was "Gonzo, is Camilla okay?" from TMTM. Gonzo is the black sheep..The weirdo.. and that's his character. When I look back at The Muppet Show even today, I always felt bad for Gonzo because it seemed liked he was the most distant from everyone else..I know that they DO like Gonzo and would do anything for him. But still, Gonzo is,in my opinion, the most distant of the main characters.
I wouldn't say that, as time went on he became fairly close with Kermit and Fozzie and does have a close friendship with Rizzo that definitely is one of the reedeeming aspects of Muppets from Space.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that the Muppets didn't sing ONE song. :sympathy: I mean, come on! ONE SONG! *iiinn controooolll*

:big_grin::sing::flirt::halo::cool:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Why was Frank Oz not available to perform most of the time during the filming? I know he was probably directing something, but I'm sure he had to have had a contract that obligated him to perform x number of scenes or something.
Actually it's widely sourced that the performers work freelance. When Steve Whitmire was interviewed for Tough Pigs in 2008 he said that even with Disney owning the Muppets the Muppet performers remain freelance (I wonder if that's changed with the recent movie).

But I have read of occasions where certain performers started out under contract. In the Muppet Central interview with Karen Prell she says she was only under contract for her first year, and Michael Earl has said on many occasions that he started out under contract for three years. Interestingly, it seems both performers were let go from Sesame Street as soon as their contracts were up.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I didn't realize that the performers worked freelance, I would have thought they would have had to sign a contract before a movie so they could commit to filming.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The breakout sequence seemed lethargic to me. Fozzie didn't do much and Animal just had that odd gag with Kathy Griffin. It seemed to me like some parts of it might have been axed from the script or something. 88 minutes, taking time out for opening and closing credits, is pretty light for a movie.
The only problem I have with The Muppets is that there was too much concept in the run time they were allotted. They cut out quite a bit, but the movie had a break neck pace that made the most of every single moment. Other than the Me party segment, nothing dragged the movie down.

MFS is quite the opposite. There are just too many drags in the script that stop the movie cold and ruin the pacing. A lot of it was Clifford checking mail, Kermit painting the house... and just droning portions of too few Muppets acting bored. The card playing scene? What was that about? Gonzo rushes in and says "I'm from OUTER SPACE!!" He could have just yelled that off the roof tops and got the same reaction of characters running out to see what the explosion was. Not 4 of the Muppets bored to death playing cards.

Here's how the COVNET break out should have gone.

Kermit, Fozzie, and Pepe should have been the only ones that broke in, with Floyd and Animal in the car for back up (having left Bunsen and Beaker behind... I still think that part was pretty brilliant). Piggy was back at Cape Doom covering the story, cutting to a sequence where she worries if Kermie is safe. Using the invisible spray, the three of them split up undetected looking for Gonzo (who just walked out of his holding cel after talking to the sandwich... Bobo forgot to lock the cel behind him), and the invisible spray wears off at compromising moments. They aren't caught, and manage to remain incognito. They all regroup to think up another plan to get Gonzo. Fozzie asks "okay, now how are we supposed to rescue him?" Gonzo pops up behind him and says "Find Who?" Fozzie replies "Well, Gonzo, we have to go find Gonzo." Realizing that, Gonzo points out they still need to find Rizzo. Fozzie asks, "Yeah! Where is he?" Rizzo pops up and says "WHere is who?" Fozzie replies "You know Rizzo, we have to... WOULD EVERYONE CUT THAT OUT!?!" Just a corridor away from escape, they manage to sneak closer to the exit without making a scene, even though it's clear that Gonzo escaped at that point and they just started to alert the guards. Meanwhile, back in the van, Animal grows impatient, Floyd is unable to hold him back. Animal storms the base (the guard is still affected by the Mind Mist), causes a ruckus before the others are almost out, causing a massive chase that leads them in circles (where they run into, and knock over Van Neuter, who himself is being chased by the rest of the rats)... there's large spread confusion, they use the door in a jar (to the same extent in the film) and manage to escape. Gonzo points out that it's almost time for the aliens to land, and they speed off in the Mayhem Van with Agent Singer and Bobo in hot pursuit.

Meanwhile at the landing site, everyone gets sick of waiting for both the aliens and Gonzo (both are late), and everyone else seems dejected until the Alien Gonzos touch down. After asking where the one called Gonzo is, one of the Muppets waiting says that he didn't show up yet. The head alien says "We're a very busy people. Maybe we should try again next century." With that, the Mayhem bus careens to the beach, passers by jump out of the way. The bus skid to a stop, Gonzo jumps out of the door, runs, collapsing at the base of the ship and says "I'M HERE! I'M HERE!"

And basically everything's basically the same from there.