Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The problem with GB2 was that in between the first and second one, the cartoon series happened. It tried very hard not to be the cartoon series, yet it sorta turned into it somehow. It's a good movie, but I think too much of the plot is saddled with "Everyone broke up and we have to get the gang back together."
I'll be honest, I might be in the minority, but I liked Viggo as a villain better than Gozer. Gozer was never scary; she looked like she walked out of an '80s music video. But the whole idea of the Viggo painting used to terrify me as a kid, lol.

Plus I guess I kinda like the getting the gang back together character moments. I've always enjoyed that more than origin stories I suppose.

That's kinda the same problem with MIB2.
I don't know what you're talking about; that movie never happened, lol. :wink:

And, like I said, the cartoon series had better concepts and took the original movie into canon
It is always nice when cartoons series are allowed to achieve more than the original films. Certainly I've found that with the recent Star Wars cartoons.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, even though I have the ghostbusters 1/2 set, I don't think I've ever watched 2 to completion :/

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
You know, even though I have the ghostbusters 1/2 set, I don't think I've ever watched 2 to completion :/
I'll admit I probably saw Ghostbusters 2 in the theater first so that makes me a tad bias, lol. It's like with the Muppets, I know TMM is the best film, but I'm just a bit fonder of MTM in part because I grew up with (and again it has less of the origin story burden). :smile:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'll admit I probably saw Ghostbusters 2 in the theater first so that makes me a tad bias, lol. It's like with the Muppets, I know TMM is the best film, but I'm just a bit fonder of MTM in part because I grew up with (and again it has less of the origin story burden). :smile:
I understand what you're saying about the magic of cinema. That magic is being reduced to ipod screens without any pageantry. That said, the original Ghostbusters has no comparison. There's a reason why the initial film gains a 94% on the tomatometer and the sequel only gets a 51%. Still, that means nothing to a personal connection a viewer makes in the theater. In many ways GB2 was an unoriginal remake of the superior first film down to the "large creature" walking through the city. To each their own taste I guess. I just hope they make a GB3 to close the story nicely someday.

I also get what you're saying about origin stories. The new Spider-man reboots the franchise, but in a way that hits the ground running. I like that. It also opens up some avenues after Sam Raimi's take had unjustly squandered or painted things into a corner. The sky's the limit with the new Spidey. His underdog status is what drives the character. He doesn't need Bat-gadgets or an entourage.

Even though TMM is set up to be an origin story, GMC seems to be more of one to me. TMM is really just a road trip movie and those are fun. That's what makes it such a success. There's really not much exposition. They just meet, connect and come along for the ride. I prefer TMM because of all 7 films it really is the Muppets movie. GMC is the Miss Piggy movie, MTM is the Kermit & Miss Piggy movie, MCC and MTI are literature movies with the Muppets as supporting characters, MFS is the Gonzo movie and TM is an origin movie redux.

MTM is a fave of a lot of fans and I've been researching it a lot these days for inspiration. We'll see what comes of that. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I might be in the minority, but I liked Viggo as a villain better than Gozer. Gozer was never scary; she looked like she walked out of an '80s music video. But the whole idea of the Viggo painting used to terrify me as a kid, lol.
I can laugh about the concept of the first movie, especially since it was deemed suitable for a kid's cartoon series. But I agree that Viggo was a much more threatening villain.

I don't know if this is at all true, but Columbia pretty much just about forced them to make a second one after the success of the first movie and cartoon series. And they wound up pretty much remaking the first one, and a lot of the concepts that made the first one great were either thrown out or Xeroxed to a pale version of themselves.

I did like the sub-plot of Dana and Peter... but all and all, if they had more time and less pressure, we would've seen a brilliant sequel. It's good enough in itself, I like it, but it really needs something to it.

Plus I guess I kinda like the getting the gang back together character moments. I've always enjoyed that more than origin stories I suppose.
I think they should have gone with a plot line that the Ghostbusters were still in business, but things were tight because there were less and less ghost sightings in the area. Like something where they were all together all along, but they were on the brink of closing down. And they could have kept the Birthday Party sequence in. That was great.

It is always nice when cartoons series are allowed to achieve more than the original films. Certainly I've found that with the recent Star Wars cartoons.
I like cartoons based on movies, and while they are hit or miss, I find there are more hits than misses. I think The Mask was a pretty good cartoon series, I certainly enjoyed Rob Paulsen hamming it up more than Jim Carey (and that's the movie I think he was the best in). Real Ghostbusters was a very well done show, I think the title "Extreme Ghostbusters" was the only reason anyone hated the second series (It was very smartly written as well)... but when it comes to Men in Black, the cartoon series was one of the best action cartoons of the decade. And that was a decade of high quality action cartoons (Gargoyles, Batman TAS). And it had such deep continuity and concepts that wouldn't have been foreign in the movie series. I wish they adopted the quick clones into the movies.

But as for the new Star Wars cartoons... simple. Those are better because George has no control over them, and they've gone to bright young writers that want to expand on the groundwork of lost potential of the prequels. If only George collaborated with that kind of fresh vision, the prequels would have been much better than they were.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
In many ways GB2 was an unoriginal remake of the superior first film down to the "large creature" walking through the city.
Oh for sure; It's definitely a staple of sequels to copy what was popular in the first film. Again it's just a very personal thing; I like all the New York stuff, even if it does get sappy, lol.

And they could have kept the Birthday Party sequence in. That was great.
Yup, even though it hilariously dates the movie ("Aw I thought it was going to be He-Man!") Lol.

But as for the new Star Wars cartoons... simple. Those are better because George has no control over them, and they've gone to bright young writers that want to expand on the groundwork of lost potential of the prequels. If only George collaborated with that kind of fresh vision, the prequels would have been much better than they were.
All I have to say is the cartoons made me care about Darth Maul, and that alone is incredible! :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
[quote="heralde, post: 890432, member: 5983"

Yup, even though it hilariously dates the movie ("Aw I thought it was going to be He-Man!") Lol.[/quote]

By the time the film came out, He-Man was old hat. But I have NO doubt in my mind it was a jab at Filmation for the whole naming debacle.

All I have to say is the cartoons made me care about Darth Maul, and that alone is incredible! :wink:
Darth Maul is wasted potential. He had the potential to be an amazing character and a downright nasty villain, but George figured spending forever in the Naspod racing champeenship was a better way to blow the movie. :rolleyes: That's all I'm saying about that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Darth Maul is wasted potential. He had the potential to be an amazing character and a downright nasty villain, but George figured spending forever in the Naspod racing champeenship was a better way to blow the movie. :rolleyes: That's all I'm saying about that.
I do think we're seeing the beginning of the end of the movie moguls, at least whatever respect they once had. In recent years people like George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and James Cameron have opted for the style over substance model or the "let's destroy whatever good we created just to make it look modern" model. They don't deserve the respect they once had and perhaps they never should have gotten that sort of god like worship to begin with. You need people to tell you when you're wrong and I doubt they've heard that in a very long time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The reason why the first Star Wars films were great (and this has been proven by the writers of the Cracked web site) was that George collaborated with other people and just took all the credit. The prequels were all George, so that speaks volumes.

But the older visionaries get, the less vision they have and the more perfectionist they become. All great directors fall into this eventually. They get stuck in the same routine, making the same movies... they become so important they refuse to bounce ideas off of anyone else and only want yes men... it happens. That explains Tim Burton casting Johnny Depp in all of his movies.

But enough of that.

I'm going to say this... I'm pretty disappointed Pirates: Band of Misfits didn't do too well. The animation alone was worth seeing it in 3-D. Sure, it wasn't Wallace and Grommit writing quality, but it still was a funny well written project. A tiny bit pop cultury, but not along the lines of a Shrek film. And it really stinks there was no promotional tie ins, which helped hide the film from the public. They would have done wonders at BK or something, some merchandise (even though TRU was burned badly by Arthur Christmas).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The reason why the first Star Wars films were great (and this has been proven by the writers of the Cracked web site) was that George collaborated with other people and just took all the credit.
And we the audience are very quick to swallow that kind of nonsense. We romanticize one person and don't want to hear about how important the whole team is. We are as much responsible for the prequels as Lucas is.

But the older visionaries get, the less vision they have and the more perfectionist they become. All great directors fall into this eventually. They get stuck in the same routine, making the same movies
It's unreasonable and unrealistic to think even talented creators can keep churning out great projects forever. But Hollywood will suck these things dry for every last buck. Again I think the fans own some responsibility for the prequels.