Could we stop embedding Youtube videos in threads?

Hubert

Reaction score
I like the idea of embedding Youtube videos directly into posts. The problem is that when they're embedded, they seem to really slow down the page loading and scrolling and stuff, to the point where you almost have to dodge threads that you know have videos embedded into them. So I'm just asking, could we possibly try to cool down on embedding videos a bit and just link to them instead?

Hubert

Reaction score
Wait...we can choose...I'm just saying that maybe users could do more linking instead of embedding...

bandit

Reaction score
Oh yeah! I did wonder about that too. I thought maybe I missed something somewhere along the line because the videos were always embedded but my intention was to put up links most of the time. Glad to know it's a programming thing. It would be nice to have the option, though, you're right.

Hubert

Reaction score
Oh...I didn't realize that we couldn't link...I kinda thought that we could. Then maybe what I'm more asking is, can we have the choice?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The only way I can see to "link" a video at the moment is to paste the link, break the hyperlink and put spaces between key parts of the url that tell it is a link :/

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Or better, let us choose if we want to embed or link.
That would be a better solution honestly... especially in cases where some videos disable embedding, so you'd have to have the direct link to it to see it anyway.

KingR76

Reaction score
I like to embed videos. (Thats of course when I post them either here or elsewhere) by embedding a video you give someone a slight preview of what the video looks like - with a link you don't always know what you're going to see - I've been caught out one or two times when people have put a picture of something with just a link and only later you click on the link and see what you've let yourself in for.

An embedded video gives the person the opportunity to see what they're going to watch and this is why I have and will always embed videos (Its not as though I make a habit of it so its not like there'd be video after video after video.)

Hubert

Reaction score
Right...I do like the concept of embedding videos, my only issue is that it really seems to slow down threads, making them practically impossible to load and use half the time.

Vincent L

Reaction score
Workaround: use a link shortener like goo.gl