2013 Muppets Wall Calendar

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Like that there's a calendar, but agree it's a little lackluster. If they were going to go the retread route, I would have rather seen a calendar with stills from the latest movie or something like that.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yeah well we all know Piggy's is old by her eyes. :/ That and we've only seems these same photos about a billon times!!! ><

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Puke.

Didn't MC host a calendar contest or something several years back? I don't recall exactly how it was done (maybe it wasn't, lol), but I remember some kind of member thing where everyone had the opportunity to contribute. Anyhow, WE should totally do a fan calendar!! Heck, my overweight farting dog could put together something better than 80's stock photos, lol.

Maybe they figure that this calendar will sell to the new fans, whom these images will actually BE new to? :wink:

KirbTreelo05

Reaction score
Puke.

Didn't MC host a calendar contest or something several years back? I don't recall exactly how it was done (maybe it wasn't, lol), but I remember some kind of member thing where everyone had the opportunity to contribute. Anyhow, WE should totally do a fan calendar!!
It's already be done before?! I was thinking of making a thread for something like that: making calendars pages as desktop wallpapers. I might still do it if no one else beats me to it...but I second the idea of a fan calender! :big_grin:

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
My most prized and my very first Muppet item ever was the 1981 Miss Piggy Cover Girl Calendar. I love Muppet calendars. I've accumulated many other Muppet calendars through the years. But it's been ages since I've bought one just for the reasons everyone has stated above. This is boring. A casual fan would not find this interesting in the very least. And like Jamie mentioned, in this techy world you have to come up with something really good to get people to buy a paper version of something as basic as a calendar. A Jason Segel or Amy Adams fan might be drawn to purchase a The Muppets movie calendar. Better yet, a movie parody calendar would do quite well, I would think. People love paradies, just look at the excitement generated through various Muppet youtube videos - although we haven't seen one of those in a while either.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Here's hoping a better one comes out when the new movie comes out...ehh what am I saying they'll probably just recycle this one. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Muppet calendars used to be among the finest merchandise.
Key Word is USED to. They also USED to be an effort. This is lazy. I think the last really good one was the circus side show one from a few years back. And quite frankly, I think that would have been better if it was just the posters without the posers pasted on them.

Uch...! I cannot BELIEVE that after all the amazing parody trailers, they could not find the budget to put out an amazing new Miss Piggy Parody Calender. When I saw the thread here, I was saying over and over "Please be new pictures, please be new pictures..."
I didn't mind the last parody calendar being recycled material at all, even though the parody trailers were amazing little viral films. But it's so disappointing we can't have a parody of something from the past 2 decades. Not even one new one. But at least those were visually stunning.

Now I know full well calendars are usually stock photos and old artwork... but I've seen GREAT calenders that use those old things. A Flintstones calendar with rare artwork, like the gang at an F.A.O. Quartz toy store (I think Fred or Barney was doing a reference to Big and dancing on a giant keyboard)... A Classic Transformers calendar that uses stock footage of anniversary merchandise character designs with computer looking back drops. A Mr. Men calendar with colorful psychedelic backgrounds.... They could have at LEAST did something better with backdrops here. Plain white highlights the lameness of the old stock photos.

Uch...those pictures are just the worst. I've always hated that Jacket on Piggy (its not chic at all!), I despise that Gonzo/Glasses picture (has he ever been defined as "cool"?) and that Scooter one is so old that it may as well be a gif. Surely the whole purpose of Muppets is humour. So how they couldn't make a genuinely FUN calender is quite beyond me...especially as Jamie could design one in his sleep.
Those early 90's slightly taking off sunglasses are so lame and dated now... they might as well have put in a soundchip that plays the theme to Fresh Prince of Bel Air when you change to that month. And that Air kiss "Magnifico" Chef? UGH! When haven't we seen that one in the last decade? And to correct you... the Scooter picture is so old, it might as well be part of a Kinetoscope.

If they were going to go the retread route, I would have rather seen a calendar with stills from the latest movie or something like that.
I don't see why they can't get screenshots of any Muppet project. Muppet movie, Muppet TV shows... If they had a calender of screen shots, like the South Park Calendars usually are, that would be a stronger concept and more visually appealing.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Why are they still using these horrible pictures? Can't they take new pictures? And why didn't they do the parodies this year?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I predicted that they'd at least use some screen stills from last year's movie, but it seems that they decided to use iconic character photos instead. I understand the thinking. They're introducing the characters to a new generation. It's much like last year's advertising featuring the characters against a white backdrop. It's just boring old photos. They have beautiful new posers built. Why are they just sitting around? Couldn't someone at the Muppets Studio take a weekend and compose all new photos? The magic of the Muppets is not in photoshopped pieces. It's that they exist and can be physically placed into situations. No digital manipulation needed.

The fact that this is not a grid calendar sealed the deal for me. The ability to write in each square and check things off are the only reasons why I purchase paper calendars. At least this year isn't like that hideous photoshop Kermit monstrosity. Eugh.

I'm still glad they released something. My idea of a great calendar? Just reprint the movie posters and lobby cards for the past 7 films. That's stock art they already have and it's art that's always welcomed by fans.