What year did it all change for the worst?

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I don't really blame Sesame Street for the problem, as much as I blame the shift in society towards coddling children, and keeping everything politically correct. That's when the show took a dive, because the writers/show runners are catering towards this new generation of soft children.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Unfortunately nothing stays the same forever...society has changed the way people look at things now. You need to be extra careful what you say nowadays for fear of offending people. So in some ways I can't blame Sesame Street for the root that it's taken. Although for me personally when Jim Henson died Sesame Street was never the same...and never will be again. I always joke why is it even Sesame Street? It's more like Elmo and Abby Street.

That's not to say I disrespect Kevin Clash I think he is an extemely gifted man and after watching the documentary I have a whole new outlook of respect for him just Elmo was never my favorite character to begin with even before he became really popular. And I feel Elmo overshadows all the other great characters on Sesame Street today. And Abby well I guess I can't say whether I like her or dislike her because I never really grew up with her so...I'll say for me it's a bittersweet thing. I think it's great Sesame Street is still going strong after all this time but it's also sad that the days of what made it classic are gone. Again this is just MY personal opinion!!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think by 1998 (Season 30), SST kind of got back on track... granted, it still wasn't like the SST of the 70s and 80s, but on that same token, it wasn't like the SST of 1993-1998 either: they fixed a number of the mistakes they made, such as getting rid of ATC, and the large number of characters that took up space, while still holding onto some who did somehow leave an impression on kids, whether it was Muppets (like Ingrid and Humphrey with Natasha) or humans (Ruthi or Tara).

Some would argue that 2002 (Season 33) would be another change for the worst, as most fans whine, gripe, and complain about the new block format and everything, but research has shown (and Caroll Spinney had confirmed) that kids responded positively to the new format, and that the kids like predictability. In my opinion, SST has had some hit and miss seasons since then: it's hard to judge Season 33 since it was the first season that experimented with the new format, but I think some seasons went over really well (34, 36, 38), but some seasons were rather disappointing (35 and especially 37 because of all the Abby hype for her to only appear in two episodes and barely a third). Season 39 brought on even more changes, but I haven't been able to see a lot of these seasons, so I can't really give an opinion of them.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Is Elmo's World really a half an hour? Come on, why do they give him so much time? I can't stand Elmo's World... I turned on the T.V the other day and I saw Sesame Street was on, so I decided to stop by and see it. I went bonkers watching Elmo's World.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Could've fooled me. Then people wouldn't be whinning like their 5 years old about every dang thing! Seriously this world drives me insane nowadays you can't even sneeze anymore without someone taking offense. UGH!

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Could've fooled me. Then people wouldn't be whinning like their 5 years old about every dang thing! Seriously this world drives me insane nowadays you can't even sneeze anymore without someone taking offense. UGH!
I agree with you, Pinkflower. There's a LOT of PC nonsense that goes on in every form of media and entertainment today. I was disgusted to hear that Sesame Workshop decided against airing the footage with Elmo and Katy Perry just because a few whiny parents out there felt their kids couldn't handle it. Katy Perry wears midriff tops that show off her boobs, that's what she does aside from "singing". If someone felt it was inappropriate, maybe they shouldn't have had her on or asked her to dress more conservatively.

I mean for pete's sake, I grew up watching soap operas with my mom where people were making out in bed, in the shower, etc. and I turned out fine. Kids are exposed to far worse out there than Katy Perry's boobs.

But getting back to this thread, I don't think Sesame Street has "changed for the worst", it's just a different show for a different audience in a different time and society. I think people forget that when Sesame Street started there was NOTHING like it on television and it served a particular purpose. Now, those purposes have been retooled, and the show has tons of other things to compete with.

I'll admit, I watched Sesame Street pretty much my whole life through until college until maybe Season 30 something. But I haven't watched it in the past several years, nor do I really want to. I still love the show, and it's history and what good it does for children today, but darn it still makes me laugh everytime I tune in. When it stops doing that and helping kids, THAT is when it will take a turn for the worse.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I don't really blame Sesame Street for the problem, as much as I blame the shift in society towards coddling children, and keeping everything politically correct. That's when the show took a dive, because the writers/show runners are catering towards this new generation of soft children.
Well said, MrBloogar. Well said...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think SST's been pretty consistent, but "the show hasn't been good since X" is all a matter of perspective. I sure some fans from the 70's would have negative things to say about the 80's, the 80's about the 90's and so on.

I don't care for the block format really, but it's fine for what it is. The science experiment bits were a vast improvement. The only real issue I have with the format is it limits the number of inserts. We basically get one "random" insert each show, not counting the letter/number/Word of the Day bits. And half the time this past season, the random bit was a pretty dull film that was just filler (that "Happy and You Know It" one for example). I don't mind having more films and cartoons, as the show had been lacking them around season 33, but now Muppet inserts have taken a back seat and I don't like it.