Are Gorgs vegetarians?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Just because they might eat meat doesn't necessarily mean they'd eat Fraggles (sorry, but I haven't seen this mentioned yet). After all, culturally, we all eat different things. I live in Texas, where there's a fight about every other day about slaughtering horses. Some people, including Mexicans, apparently, like eating horses (French too, from what I hear). However, it's not just folks like PETA getting their panties in a twist over it. If we went to China, there'd be the ick factor of eating dog. Perhaps, since the Gorgs find Fraggles to be pests, they don't actually eat them (just "thump" them) because it'd be kind of like eating rat or something: you COULD eat it, but most folks wouldn't. Doozers would, I suppose (makes sure Cotterpin's not around), be like eating ants or something.

I think I'm with Drtooth in the "they make stuff up" category of Fraggle foods (in the sense they don't really use the ingredients we would associate with the term).

It's hard to tell if Gorgs fish for food or not. There's no freezer and I don't recall them ever stating they eat jerky of some sort. The pantry seems to have only non-meat materials in it. Marjorie, the Trash Heap, never has bacon or anything on her, just fruit skins and such. Assuming fish are normal in their proportions, they would hardly qualify as a taste for a Gorg. However, it's hard to tell if EVERYTHING in the Gorg Kingdom is unnaturally large or if just the garden is. Philo and Gunge aren't Super Rats and Wander is either roughly in the same scale as the Fraggles or somewhat bigger, but he's never on par with the Gorgs.

Slackbot

Reaction score
You both make very good points. I can easily see the Fraggles picking up small bits of data from Doc's workshop and incorporating them into their songs but not their lifestyles. Just because we never saw it happen doesn't mean it didn't--"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

I have the feeling that Matt didn't think of the "fast food" as food at all. It didn't seem to occur to the Fraggles that crackers, dog biscuits, doughnuts, or a pizza could be eaten. Probably didn't smell like food to them, or have the right texture.

As for the crown, I think it traveled through a plot hole to the Silly Creature world. Or call it magic; same thing. Sometimes magic changes the geography of the Fraggle world at just the right time, like the tunnel opening into Doc's apartment in Change of Address. Maybe the same force that created the new passage also carried the crown across the worlds. Hmm, this is getting into a Heinleinesque author-as-deity area... which I'm fine with, as long as it's used very judiciously, rather than excusing any dang silly thing the author wants to do.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it... Pa Gorg going Fishing doesn't necessarily means he's going to catch the fish to eat them. Some people fish for the sport of it and let them go.

Plus, something tells me when Pa Gorg goes fishing, he doesn't catch so much as a boot. So they can't eat what he can't catch.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Now that I think about it... Pa Gorg going Fishing doesn't necessarily means he's going to catch the fish to eat them. Some people fish for the sport of it and let them go.

Plus, something tells me when Pa Gorg goes fishing, he doesn't catch so much as a boot. So they can't eat what he can't catch.
Well I don't think so!

Slackbot

Reaction score
Fishing sounds like the perfect activity for Pa, then. He can pretend to be making a contribution to the household, and when he catches nothing because he spent all day napping he can claim the fish just weren't biting. It beats hoeing the garden.

Collgoff

Reaction score
Fishing sounds like the perfect activity for Pa, then. He can pretend to be making a contribution to the household, and when he catches nothing because he spent all day napping he can claim the fish just weren't biting. It beats hoeing the garden.
that's for sure!

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
I'm writing a Fraggle fic (as usual), and one question has come up: are Gorgs vegetarians?
I think very close to being one. I know they like eggs, Junior wanted to get the Tree Creatures egg for the very puprose of eating. And I do recall Pa mentioned he liked going fishing from time to time. Not sure he brought back what he caught though or if he ever did catch anything. But I definitely don't recall seeing them serving up a big ole T-bone steak.

As for eating Fraggles, I don't think Gorgs eat Fraggles, but in their book of remedies, I'd hate to think it, but they might of killed them to supposedly cure supposed illnesses. I recall in one of your fanfics, I believe this was the path you almost took, but Thank God you spared Wembley. (let's out a huge sigh of relief). Besides, can you imagine how many Fraggles it would take to feed a Gorg, they'd wipe the colony in a matter of days.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I recall in one of your fanfics, I believe this was the path you almost took, but Thank God you spared Wembley. (let's out a huge sigh of relief).
Oh, you didn't really think I'd off Wembley in one of my fics, did you? I hereby vow that as long as I have anything to say about it he'll live a long, happy, active life in the midst of his friends and loved ones.
Besides, can you imagine how many Fraggles it would take to feed a Gorg, they'd wipe the colony in a matter of days.
Fraggles are mostly fluff. It wouldn't be worth it to the Gorgs, catching and skinning and boning them for only a tiny scrap of meat. Maybe if they bred Fraggles, kept 'em in a hutch and fed 'em all the radish could eat...

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
Oh, you didn't really think I'd off Wembley in one of my fics, did you? I hereby vow that as long as I have anything to say about it he'll live a long, happy, active life in the midst of his friends and loved ones.
No, I knew you wouldn't, but oh the suspense leading up to it and then leaving us wondering though to what did happen by switching to another part of the story, had me glued to your story like Doozer glue till you went back to what did happen to Wembley. :busy:

Fraggles are mostly fluff.
I like fluffy. :wink: /lol