RIP Andy Griffith

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Did anybody ever see "Return to Mayberry", the Andy Griffith reunion from the 80s? Really a very fun, heartfelt movie.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I almost feel like i lost my dad all over again. Andy was a shiriff and my dad was a cop.
so ya really sad.

Hubert

Reaction score
TV Land is playing episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, and they just had one that worked really well in honor of him. Rest in peace, Sheriff Taylor.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed for some reason, when it comes to old black-and-white shows, TV Land has been playing them in PAL format (they run 4% faster, making everything sound a little sped-up)?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed for some reason, when it comes to old black-and-white shows, TV Land has been playing them in PAL format (they run 4% faster, making everything sound a little sped-up)?
Are they making time for commercials?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Probably, considering again I read a while back that half hour shows were being shortened again from 21 minutes to 18 1/2.

I've noticed when TV Land started playing Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie again for a short time a couple of years ago, they cut out even more than they already had. Hallmark Channel's also REALLY butchered up I Love Lucy as well.

There is one alternative these networks could try... you know how some DVD players have that rapid play feature, where you can play content at either 0.8% slower or 1.3% faster? I tried watching an un-cut half hour episode of a show on rapid play, and found it runs about 17 minutes: if these networks could figure out a way to air their shows like that, they could still play them uncut, and actually gain some more precious commercial time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think it's worth pointing out that we actually have something rather special here in East Tennessee... y'know how in Vegas (and other places really), they have all those Elvis impersonators? Well, in East Tennessee, we have Mayberry impersonators. Yep, years and years ago, a couple built something of a replica of Mayberry in their backyard, with the courthouse, the diner, Floyd's Barbershop, etc, and we have a Barney, an Aunt Bea, Gomer, Wally, Otis, even Ernest T. Bass. I had a brief encounter with our Barney impersonator once when I was a cameraman at ETPtv (now East Tennessee PBS), he was making a guest appearance on a local show we do that showcases retrospectives of old Western serials, and before we started taping, he snuck up behind me as I was framing the shot, and in his best Barney Fife, asked me, "Is that camera aimed fast?" I got a kick out of that, and during the show, he also did Barney's famous accidental gunfire (trick gun of course). Our Barney has even appeared in a few commercials, usually during the holidays, don't drink and drive kind of things.

Now if anyone ever decided to start up M*A*S*H impersonators, I nominate myself for Radar O'Reilly, lol.

Hubert

Reaction score
Cool...Mayberry impersonators...sounds fun...I think I also read somewhere that in Jamestown, NY (Lucille Ball's hometown), they have I Love Lucy character impersonators.

TheWeirdoGirl

Reaction score
What can I really say? He was an amazing person. Its hard to believe that he's gone.

dwmckim

Reaction score
There is one alternative these networks could try... you know how some DVD players have that rapid play feature, where you can play content at either 0.8% slower or 1.3% faster? I tried watching an un-cut half hour episode of a show on rapid play, and found it runs about 17 minutes: if these networks could figure out a way to air their shows like that, they could still play them uncut, and actually gain some more precious commercial time.
Heck, i practically live off my dvd rapid play - it's very rare i watch any dvd not on the fast speed - great timesaver! Of course then, when i tune in to watch a show live that i'm used to seeing on the dvd fast speed, it always sounds like everyone's on drugs because i'm not used to hearing them at normal speed.