Your Thoughts: Fraggle Rock on The Hub beginning October 10, 2010

bandit

Reaction score
No I get what you're saying. I think that's pretty typical of most TV shows that have "the big ending." There's this sense of having to be all epic and huge because "it's the last one; have to go out big!"

Plus the whole show has been building up to "Will Doc ever meet the Fraggles?" And once that happens, everything after that is going to be a little anti-climactic, almost by design.
Yeah exactly! I can't say it isn't neat for him to have met them but at the same time, I just felt like there was something a little forced in all of that. It is much better when WE the audience have the bird's eye view of it. When the audience can see the way they are connected but the characters themselves only see some kind of tenuous connection and are not exactly sure of what it is....It adds a little realism, I think. It allows the kids to kind of figure these things out for themselves. I don't know. I wish it had been just a little different but if you ask me what I would have liked to see...I don't really know.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It is much better when WE the audience have the bird's eye view of it. When the audience can see the way they are connected but the characters themselves only see some kind of tenuous connection and are not exactly sure of what it is....It adds a little realism, I think. It allows the kids to kind of figure these things out for themselves.
I think you're right. I just think the concern is always that if a TV show doesn't deliver the big satisfaction in the end, the fans will revolt. I think that's another reason why things end up going big.

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
I maintain that the final few episodes of Fraggle Rock felt a little off to me. They obviously had their high points, and the idea is good but I felt like once Doc actually meets the Fraggles, some of the magic was gone.
I've said this before but one thing Jim Henson said in his creation of this show is that if it ever became too obvious that this show was meant to teach children about diversity, then it would miss the mark. Well, the final episodes really clonk one over the head with it. We are all connected. It's a nice enough thought and certainly I can't say it isn't sweet...but it just didn't have the right Fraggle feel to me. *shrugs* That's just me, though. Almost every other fan would probably disagree with this assessment.
For me, the last two episodes were the best in my book for ending an already great series. As a child when I saw it in the 80s, the idea I got from it, that it was possible to actually see a Fraggle if "touched" by one and that no matter where you go, there was a chance the Fraggle hole would be there if you believed in the magic. Although we know in real life it'll never happen, but when Doc finally sees Gobo, I couldn't help but feel all excited inside that it finally happened.

As I said in another post, it didn't have to stop with Doc discovering them, if the show had continued, there was a whole new door of possibilities for the show to continue. I hated it took 95 episodes before Doc finally got to see one, while Sprocket gets to see them, play with them, and even explore their caves. Lucky dog.

In no way would I say the show lost any of it's magic or fraggle feel, it's just impossible in my eyes. When it ended in Change of Address, it left me wanting more Fraggle Rock more than ever, but since that was their finale, I knew the magic would have to continue in me and it's fans.

bandit

Reaction score
You're right. But I think to add to this...It's entirely possible that the general public -does- feel that way. I mean, to a certain extent, we do all want a strong climax and satisfying resolution....erm....Well you know what I mean.

bandit

Reaction score
For me, the last two episodes were the best in my book for ending an already great series. As a child when I saw it in the 80s, the idea I got from it, that it was possible to actually see a Fraggle if "touched" by one and that no matter where you go, there was a chance the Fraggle hole would be there if you believed in the magic. Although we know in real life it'll never happen, but when Doc finally sees Gobo, I couldn't help but feel all excited inside that it finally happened.

As I said in another post, it didn't have to stop with Doc discovering them, if the show had continued, there was a whole new door of possibilities for the show to continue. I hated it took 95 episodes before Doc finally got to see one, while Sprocket gets to see them, play with them, and even explore their caves. Lucky dog.

In no way would I say the show lost any of it's magic or fraggle feel, it's just impossible in my eyes. When it ended in Change of Address, it left me wanting more Fraggle Rock more than ever, but since that was their finale, I knew the magic would have to continue in me and it's fans.
Well I guess this is a perfect example of what Fraggle Rock was all about. Different people have different viewpoints and different tastes. Agree to disagree on this one. There's no right or wrong when it comes to an opinion, I suppose. I just know I felt exactly the same way....except you know, completely the opposite.

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
I think you're right. I just think the concern is always that if a TV show doesn't deliver the big satisfaction in the end, the fans will revolt. I think that's another reason why things end up going big.
Yeah, had it been a sad/bad ending, I'm not sure how much I would have kept the magic alive. I myself can't stand watching sad/bad endings to anything... TV series, movies, reading books. If they have a sad/bad ending, I usually 99% of the time never watch or read them again, even though I might of loved watching/reading the series. Example: ALF, loved the series, but the sad/bad ending killed it for me and I'll never watch it again, knowing what happens in the end.

On a side note though, I do tend to love sad/happy endings. :wink:

Tom Fraggle

Reaction score
Well I guess this is a perfect example of what Fraggle Rock was all about. Different people have different viewpoints and different tastes. Agree to disagree on this one. There's no right or wrong when it comes to an opinion, I suppose. I just know I felt exactly the same way....except you know, completely the opposite.
Exactly. :excited:

Sort of like the Gobo/Red thing, they agreed to disagree and disagree to agree.

And the only person that will believe my opinion, is me... Why? Cause it's my opinion. :sigh: But it's always fun to read other opinions and know we can agree to disagree or disagree to agree and still get along with each other.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If they have a sad/bad ending, I usually 99% of the time never watch or read them again, even though I might of loved watching/reading the series.
I have to admit I can be the same way. It's hard to get the bad taste out of your mouth sometimes. You don't want to go through all the emotions again knowing it will end badly. You need some kind of hope.

Well, I guess that's what retcons are for, lol.

bandit

Reaction score
I can see that. Most people like happy endings. Oddly enough, for me it all depends on the tone the series has to begin with. If you have some epic war going on, ala Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc....then death, guts and glory are the way to go!