None Like it Hot: The "I Hate the Heat" Club

mr3urious

Reaction score
Global Warming IS the culprit, it's just that so many people out there refuse to accept it, simply because of Al Gore
I've been wanting to do this for a while, so here goes. (takes deep breath)

Global temperatures have naturally fluctuated since the dawn of time, the main culprit being the sun and cosmic rays from space, not humans. CO2 is a byproduct of temps, not a cause. Plants need it to grow and to produce the air we breathe.

http://friendsofscience.org/assets/documents/FOS Essay/GlobalTroposphereTemperaturesAverage.jpg

As you can see from this NOAA satellite data, there's been a slight trend toward cooling in the last decade due to solar activity calming down the decade before that, but its warming continued due to the oceans retaining a lot of the sun's heat. The rest of the data can be found here.

Also, the Earth has been way hotter in the past, yet life still flourished. Other planets have experienced warming, too, so it's BS to think humans have a significant impact on climate.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, I'm not funded by the oil industry or anything else like that. I'm just providing some balance to all this hysteria.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for a while, so here goes. (takes deep breath)

Global temperatures have naturally fluctuated since the dawn of time, the main culprit being the sun and cosmic rays from space, not humans. CO2 is a byproduct of temps, not a cause. Plants need it to grow and to produce the air we breathe.

http://friendsofscience.org/assets/documents/FOS Essay/GlobalTroposphereTemperaturesAverage.jpg

As you can see from this NOAA satellite data, there's been a slight trend toward cooling in the last decade due to solar activity calming down the decade before that, but its warming continued due to the oceans retaining a lot of the sun's heat. The rest of the data can be found here.

Also, the Earth has been way hotter in the past, yet life still flourished. Other planets have experienced warming, too, so it's BS to think humans have a significant impact on climate.
Oh, all that, "Aw, this is just the earth going through a cycle it's gone through since the dawn of time" is more BS if you ask me.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Yes. The earth goes through climate cycles.

NOT THIS @#%$#^#$ FAST IT DOESN'T ON ITS OWN. It takes meteors, or, say, third-world countries who don't give a rat's behind about climate change to keep burning COAL to influence the temps THAT fast. "Global warming" is an inaccurate phrase...but "climate change" IS real. And we ARE having a disastrous effect on it...and soon it'll be too late to stop. We're likely already past any chance of reversing it.

Er...and that NOAA report also says the nasty weather is pretty much here to stay. So a lotta people are going to have to move. Soon.

More kids, fossil fuel and coal burning, and willful ignorance, anyone?
---------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Er...and that NOAA report also says the nasty weather is pretty much here to stay. So a lotta people are going to have to move. Soon.
Well, they say on the news last summer, when all those terrible spring storms tore up the south during the spring, that at this rate, in the next 30 years or so, what we now consider "extreme" weather is going to be normal. You even said at one point that that area of the country you're living in is going to be completely inhabitable in the next 20 years because of the insufferable heat increase.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Well, at least you guys aren't threatening to burn me at the stake like so many other stories I've heard about skeptics.

Vincent L

Reaction score
The forecast for today is 38 degrees C. The hottest we had so far.
(still short of the 40 some of you have, I know)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about what all is going on right now...

The last I heard, our part of the country was supposed to be above average for the month of July, yet with the exception of the first week or so, our July so far this year has actually been average, which hasn't happened since 2003 or so: our average for July is usually supposed to range in the mid-to-upper 80sF (high 20s/low 30sC), and with the exception of one day (yesterday), that's actually what we've been experiencing, which has been great; we've been having thunderstorms almost everyday this month, which has really helped (though when the sun comes out immediately afterwards, it's like a sauna outside). Now what gets me worried is what is August going to look like for us? The last I heard, our part of the country was going to be below average for August, but since our July turned out to be the opposite of what they predicted, is the same going to be said for August? Will August be ABOVE average for us this year? Granted, August is one of our hottest months, and on average, our Augusts are SUPPOSED to be in the high 80sF (low 30sC), however for the last few years August has been in the range of 100-115F (37-46C), and if August turns out to be above average, what does that entale?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Please don't begrudge me too much, but right now in my corner in the world we have rain, and after a massive heat wave, a cold front moved in and it's 67 degrees, high around 75. Wish you were here.