Pink Animal's Everywhere!

dwmckim

Reaction score
I would LOVE it if someone presented the real Animal with the merchandise versions of him and watch his freaked-out reaction!

mo

Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO all those british girls with those animal....LUNCH BOXES!
casual fans with MUPPET LUNCH BOXES???!!!! grrrrrr......it's almost been a year since 'the best september ever' and only a week left of school......I gotta buy up those up!

Drtooth

Reaction score
ANIMAL NOT PINK! ANIMAL RED!
Actually

ANIMAL LAYERED WITH DIFFERENT SHADES OF BOTH, WHILE LIGHT REFLECTS VARIATIONS IN THE MANY STRANDS OF HAIR USED ON THE PUPPET!

Much like Gonzo's nose always being blue. It's some weird color that can't be described because the light refracts on the material and causes weird color highlights. green, purple, yellow.. it all shows up.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I imagine Animal's reaction would either be:

a) similar to his reaction to finding Piggy on the phone in MFC..."Oh...pink..."

b) running away screaming

c) crying

d) just staring at them jaw wide open and just frozen in bewilderment

e) striking them with his drumsticks because he thinks they're Muppaphones

Reactions: mo

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Animal has been represented as pink in products since the days of Jim Henson. It's not a Disney decision, it was not a Palisades decision. He's been Pantone 226 for quite some time.
The puppet did seem to skew red for most of the Muppet Show, but later projects revealed that his fur was primarily comprised of deep magenta strands among other colors.
It really all depends upon the lighting. I wish they'd mix a little more red into the PMS assignation, but he's even a hotter pink in animated forms so maybe we've lucked out.
Animal isn't really red. Or at least he hasn't been in over 30 years. He just seems that way for various reasons and I agree that the products should better reflect that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, basically what I said, but more eloquently. And with examples.

I really liked the coloring on the Palisades figure. It was a much duller magenta that suits the puppet a little better. And they managed to remember those Orange strands of hair around his eyes, too. Quite a bit of the merchandise forgets that. Personally, I was never fond of the fact that the white feathery tuft in between Big Bird's Eyes...

Is never present in any of his merchandise.

My main problem with Animal merchandise is the plush...

The Pom Pom effect. Shaggy magenta Animal becomes pink lollipop head so fast...

and again...

That's the same problem I have with most Cookie Monster plush...

Who's also always a lighter and brighter shade of blue in merchandise than the actual puppet

jvcarroll

Reaction score
It bothers me when any Muppet looks weird as a plush since the characters actually exist in that native puppet form. :rolleyes: