The Muppets Go To The Movies

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I just watched the whole special on Youtube a while ago. I thought it was pretty awesome. (If I'm correct, I believe this special was to help promote The Great Muppet Caper.) I'm just wondering what thoughts you all have on this TV special.

****SPOILERS****
My favorite parts in this special were.....
*"Silent Strawberries" (The foreign film. I couldn't help but laugh at this part. I just couldn't help it. Loved the interaction between Beaker and The Swedish Chef, though. Never thought I'd hear the day Sam says anything like "Wocka wocka wocka" even if it was part of the foreign film's English script. :laugh: )
*"The Wizard Of Oz" (To quote Janice "I love Oz. I may move there." :flirt: I had a feeling Fozzie and Gonzo as The Lion and Tinman foreshadowed them playing the same roles in "Muppets Wizard Of Oz." Although, I kinda would've like Scooter to play the Scarecrow in "Muppets Wizard of Oz" Janice would've made a cute Dorothy, but we all knew Miss Piggy wasn't going to give that up so easily.)
*"Tropical Heatwave" (Bring on the big musical number for Miss Piggy! And I love the penguins. :zany::zany:),
*"Act Naturally" (This was beautifully sung and probably one of the best numbers Jerry Nelson and Richard Hunt have performed together. I couldn't help but say "Awwwwwwwww" when Floyd kissed Janice on the cheek. :sing::flirt: )
* "Tarzan and Jane" (I thought I was expecting someone like Link to play Tarzan. But when Gonzo came out as Tarzan, that just made it funnier for it's 30 something seconds or so....)

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite things the Muppets have done. I really enjoy watching this. "The Wizard of Oz" skit was really good, as was "The Three Musketeers" and "Casablanca."

I laugh the most probably at the beginning as Fozzie spells the Muppets wrong and Kermit corrects the announcer.

Looking back, with Kermit locking up the theater at the end of the night, it could have been a good way to end "The Muppet Show."

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I love this special. Ironicly I was going to put up a thread about this special because to me, this is the final Muppet Show episode because it's the same set.

I love the Heatwave musical number, great musical score. Was it Jack Parnell the Muppet Show music guy?

But the one that cracked me up the most was "Silent Strawberries" lol Anytime Sam is upstaged, it's one of the funniest things about The Muppets. lol Because he's so dang serious. lol Unlike today of course. :attitude:

Also Mulch returns and basically his final appearance until his comeback on Muppets Tonight. "Hot Cross Bunnies? I just got it!" lol

I think I have that special on my ipod, if not I got to put it back on there. I have a copy of it when it was taped off of Nickelodeon (aka My generation lol). And I transmited the VHS to DVD. :smile:

Probably one of the top 5 best Muppet Specials ever. I would love to say #1 but then I would have to think of all the specials just to make sure. lol

So much good stuff on there. Link as the Stupid one "quoted by Scooter" in The Three Muskateers parody

Also here's a little inside gag, read the credits.....Gummo Birdman is in the credits under writers I think. lol

But yeah, to me this special has a special place in my heart because to me, this was the final bow and final curtain to the original Muppet Show. :smile:

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
I love this special. Ironicly I was going to put up a thread about this special because to me, this is the final Muppet Show episode because it's the same set...
But yeah, to me this special has a special place in my heart because to me, this was the final bow and final curtain to the original Muppet Show. :smile:
Nicely said. I feel the same. It puts a nice ending to 'The Muppet Show" for me. I have this on my ipod, too, so I can watch it anytime I am in the mood for something Muppets.

The upstaging of Sam is well done. Watching him read the narration is very funny.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
Nicely said. I feel the same. It puts a nice ending to 'The Muppet Show" for me. I have this on my ipod, too, so I can watch it anytime I am in the mood for something Muppets.

The upstaging of Sam is well done. Watching him read the narration is very funny.
I agree!!! I can't help but crack up at that part!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think I have that special on my ipod, if not I got to put it back on there. I have a copy of it when it was taped off of Nickelodeon (aka My generation lol). And I transmited the VHS to DVD. :smile:
I'm right there with you. I was obsessed with this special when I saw it as a kid on Nickelodeon. I even convinced my Dad to do a couple of the skits with me for my Mom, lol.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I'm right there with you. I was obsessed with this special when I saw it as a kid on Nickelodeon. I even convinced my Dad to do a couple of the skits with me for my Mom, lol.
Which ones did you do?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Which ones did you do?
I remember doing the opening song, the Three Musketeers, the haunted house, the WWII sketch. May have done a couple of others. I even typed out the scripts for my Dad to read. I still can't believe it frankly, lol.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite Muppet specials, right up there with A Muppet Family Christmas, Muppets at Walt Disney World, and The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years.

A lot of people see this as promotion for The Great Muppet Caper, but I don't see it. It has three clips from the movie and a new performance of Hey a Movie! (plus an instrumental version plays at the end), and that's it.

Pros:
  • The opening rendition of "Hey a Movie!" I wonder if the use of various film clips here (in addition to music rights, perhaps) is what's kept it from having video releases in the U.S.
  • The Three Muskateers, Wizard of Oz, Silent Strawberries, Tarzan, and the closing segment.
  • The show-stopping finale, including a grand shot of the outside of the theater.

Cons:
  • No Bunsen, Dr. Teeth, Lips, Louis Kazagger, or large monsters (though Bunsen and Dr. Teeth can both be glimpsed in The Muppet Movie finale clip and the Beauregard taxi-driving clip). And I can't remember if Zoot appears.
  • Only whatnots in the western sketch? I would have preferred the jugband to have been used here.
  • At the end, as the camera pans past the stage, we can sort of see the orchestra, but there's so many other characters in front of view. This would have been a way to see Lips, but all those characters blocking the orchestra, the only musicians we see there are Animal (and maybe Nigel... Can't quite tell if I actually see him conducting or not). I wonder if they actually had performers performing musicians, though Floyd is among the group of characters standing in front of the orchestra.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
A lot of people see this as promotion for The Great Muppet Caper, but I don't see it. It has three clips from the movie and a new performance of Hey a Movie! (plus an instrumental version plays at the end), and that's it.
I do think it was being used as a promotion. Especially when Piggy makes a big point of saying "that Fred Astaire tribute you did in The Great Muppet Caper!" It just had that vibe of "hint hint, go see our movie!" Lol