The Secret Life of a Background Character

Hubert

Reaction score
Chapter 3.3: Scooter

I walked down the street, heading towards the address that Kermit sent me. I came to a building, nothing great, but a building. I was really excited about this MuppeTelevision concept. It really did sound like a good idea, and I was ready to get assisting Kermit again. I grabbed the door handle, and began to pull open the door.

“Are you Scooter?”

I turned around. A young, red haired girl was standing there, equipped with a clipboard.

“Who are you?” I asked.
“Vicki. I’m a huge fan of yours. I watched the Muppet Show all the time when I was little. Anyway, I came here for a job as a backstage assistant. I just graduated from film school and I’m sorta trying to break into show business.”

It was then I saw me, standing directly in front of me. Me, a young kid, lost in the world of show business. Me, just trying to get in somehow and some way, even to the point I’m desperate for a job as a custodian in a theater. Me, without a job, trying to latch on to whatever I can find that will get me further. Me, hinging on the fact that my uncle owns a theater. Only this version of me didn’t have that to hinge on to. All this version had was a dream of working backstage in show business.

Kermit always stressed that it is important that we sacrifice things that make us happy if it will in turn help others. And this case, it hit me straight in the heart. I pulled a piece of paper off my clipboard, pulled a pen out of my pocket, and scribbled down a note.

“Here, give this to Kermit, it will help you out.” I handed her the note.
“Wow, thanks Mr. Scooter! I really appreciate it.”
“No problem,” I sighed, half smiling, half frowning. Vicki walked into the building. I walked down the street.

Dear Kermit,

Give this girl my backstage job. Please. I don’t really need one now anyway.

Scooter

I sighed again. For the first time in 15 years, I was lost in the world of show business.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Chapter 3.3: Scooter

I walked down the street, heading towards the address that Kermit sent me. I came to a building, nothing great, but a building. I was really excited about this MuppeTelevision concept. It really did sound like a good idea, and I was ready to get assisting Kermit again. I grabbed the door handle, and began to pull open the door.

“Are you Scooter?”

I turned around. A young, red haired girl was standing there, equipped with a clipboard.

“Who are you?” I asked.
“Vicki. I’m a huge fan of yours. I watched the Muppet Show all the time when I was little. Anyway, I came here for a job as a backstage assistant. I just graduated from film school and I’m sorta trying to break into show business.”

It was then I saw me, standing directly in front of me. Me, a young kid, lost in the world of show business. Me, just trying to get in somehow and some way, even to the point I’m desperate for a job as a custodian in a theater. Me, without a job, trying to latch on to whatever I can find that will get me further. Me, hinging on the fact that my uncle owns a theater. Only this version of me didn’t have that to hinge on to. All this version had was a dream of working backstage in show business.

Kermit always stressed that it is important that we sacrifice things that make us happy if it will in turn help others. And this case, it hit me straight in the heart. I pulled a piece of paper off my clipboard, pulled a pen out of my pocket, and scribbled down a note.

“Here, give this to Kermit, it will help you out.” I handed her the note.
“Wow, thanks Mr. Scooter! I really appreciate it.”
“No problem,” I sighed, half smiling, half frowning. Vicki walked into the building. I walked down the street.

Dear Kermit,

Give this girl my backstage job. Please. I don’t really need one now anyway.

Scooter

I sighed again. For the first time in 15 years, I was lost in the world of show business.
Wow! I know now that David Rudman does Scooter Groose. I thought he is doing a good job even thought this go-fer kid is growing up. Now his middle is Hunt, because his first performer was Richard Hunt, who died from AIDS in 1992. The next movie, "The Muppet Christmas Carol" was dedicated and in memory of Jim Henson and Richard Hunt.

Hubert

Reaction score
Chapter 4.1: Rowlf the Dog

The magician sketches were fun. They were great. The problem was, it took me out of the limelight. Instead of being resident pianist and performer, I became Merlin the magician. I was there and they knew it, yet I wasn’t acknowledged as part of the main crew, like I was on the Muppet Show.

MuppeTelevision came and went, without much thought. I wondered what my future with the Muppets would hold now. It seemed like not much had changed. I went to Disney World with the Muppets. It was fun, and they still seemed to be just as good of friends to me as they were during the Muppet Show.

In the early 90s, things slowed down a bit with the Muppets. There wasn’t much going on, until 1992, when I got a phone call.

“Hey Rowlf, this is Kermit.”
“Oh, hey Kermit. What’s up?”
“You see, we’re planning to do an adaptation of The Christmas Carol soon.”
My face lit up. “Oh, that’s great!” This might finally be my chance to get back into things.
“Unfortunately, I don’t have a very big role for you in this, but I was wondering if you could come in and sort of just do some small stuff, possibly even play the piano, cause-” He hesitated for a moment. “Cause you’re sort of easier to get.” I had no idea what in the world he meant by that, but it seemed like a touchy subject, so I wasn’t about to ask.
“Uh, yeah. Sure. I’ll be there,” I said, a bit disappointed that I wasn’t going to get a big role. I was at least happy. I figured, it sure beats not having any role at all. In fact, I couldn’t wait. The Muppets hadn’t been hanging out together as much lately. I was excited to work on another big project.
So when the time came, I went to the set for filming of the Muppet Christmas Carol. I was surprised I wasn’t mailed a copy of the script. That was what Kermit always did, mailed everyone their scripts. Then I saw Kermit, dressed in a very nice vest. I went up to him.

“Uh, hey Kermit, I didn’t get my script in the mail,” I said.
“Oh yeah,” he said, hesitating a bit, “I didn’t really mail you one because you don’t have much to say. I figured I’d save the postage, you know?” he continued, forcing a laugh way too much for my comfort zone. “Here it is.” He handed me a script.
“Thanks.”

I looked through the script, not seeing any lines for me. That’s when I realized that I must not have a single line. It was just that Kermit didn’t want to outright tell me that. I was once again saddened.

The set was filled with tons and tons of Muppets, all getting into costume, rehearsing, and running around. Some I hadn’t seen for years. That was when I overheard a conversation taking place behind me.

“Remember George, tonight at 6:30,” a voice was saying.
“Yeah, I remember.”
“What’s this again?” an older sounding voice chimed in. I turned around, Droop, George, and Pops were back there.
“Nothing much,”
“Nothing much? It’s like the biggest event of the year,” a voice interrupted.
I walked over. “What are you guys talking about?” I asked.
“Oh, nothing that important. But you’ll find out soon enough.”

I was puzzled. It seemed like there was something secretive going on between the three. But I shrugged it off. They were good guys. It’s not like they’d be plotting to take over the Muppets or anything.

But then that day, throughout the whole filming process, everyone seemed to talking to each other and whispering. It was as if the crew was planning a surprise party for me or something. You don’t know how many times I head “tonight” and “6:30” and “dinner,” however those related. But Droop was right. I would find out soon enough.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Chapter 4.1: Rowlf the Dog

The magician sketches were fun. They were great. The problem was, it took me out of the limelight. Instead of being resident pianist and performer, I became Merlin the magician. I was there and they knew it, yet I wasn’t acknowledged as part of the main crew, like I was on the Muppet Show.

MuppeTelevision came and went, without much thought. I wondered what my future with the Muppets would hold now. It seemed like not much had changed. I went to Disney World with the Muppets. It was fun, and they still seemed to be just as good of friends to me as they were during the Muppet Show.

In the early 90s, things slowed down a bit with the Muppets. There wasn’t much going on, until 1992, when I got a phone call.

“Hey Rowlf, this is Kermit.”
“Oh, hey Kermit. What’s up?”
“You see, we’re planning to do an adaptation of The Christmas Carol soon.”
My face lit up. “Oh, that’s great!” This might finally be my chance to get back into things.
“Unfortunately, I don’t have a very big role for you in this, but I was wondering if you could come in and sort of just do some small stuff, possibly even play the piano, cause-” He hesitated for a moment. “Cause you’re sort of easier to get.” I had no idea what in the world he meant by that, but it seemed like a touchy subject, so I wasn’t about to ask.
“Uh, yeah. Sure. I’ll be there,” I said, a bit disappointed that I wasn’t going to get a big role. I was at least happy. I figured, it sure beats not having any role at all. In fact, I couldn’t wait. The Muppets hadn’t been hanging out together as much lately. I was excited to work on another big project.
So when the time came, I went to the set for filming of the Muppet Christmas Carol. I was surprised I wasn’t mailed a copy of the script. That was what Kermit always did, mailed everyone their scripts. Then I saw Kermit, dressed in a very nice vest. I went up to him.

“Uh, hey Kermit, I didn’t get my script in the mail,” I said.
“Oh yeah,” he said, hesitating a bit, “I didn’t really mail you one because you don’t have much to say. I figured I’d save the postage, you know?” he continued, forcing a laugh way too much for my comfort zone. “Here it is.” He handed me a script.
“Thanks.”

I looked through the script, not seeing any lines for me. That’s when I realized that I must not have a single line. It was just that Kermit didn’t want to outright tell me that. I was once again saddened.

The set was filled with tons and tons of Muppets, all getting into costume, rehearsing, and running around. Some I hadn’t seen for years. That was when I overheard a conversation taking place behind me.

“Remember George, tonight at 6:30,” a voice was saying.
“Yeah, I remember.”
“What’s this again?” an older sounding voice chimed in. I turned around, Droop, George, and Pops were back there.
“Nothing much,”
“Nothing much? It’s like the biggest event of the year,” a voice interrupted.
I walked over. “What are you guys talking about?” I asked.
“Oh, nothing that important. But you’ll find out soon enough.”

I was puzzled. It seemed like there was something secretive going on between the three. But I shrugged it off. They were good guys. It’s not like they’d be plotting to take over the Muppets or anything.

But then that day, throughout the whole filming process, everyone seemed to talking to each other and whispering. It was as if the crew was planning a surprise party for me or something. You don’t know how many times I head “tonight” and “6:30” and “dinner,” however those related. But Droop was right. I would find out soon enough.
Awww! The poor thing! Poor Rowlf! I knew he didn't get any spoken parts at all. Kermit was performed by Steve Whitmire and he did not get a big role either. Dave Golex and Steve did become the top two performers to play their twos stars for the movie which were Gonxo (Charles Dickens) and Rizzo the rat himself.

Hubert

Reaction score
Awww! The poor thing! Poor Rowlf! I knew he didn't get any spoken parts at all. Kermit was performed by Steve Whitmire and he did not get a big role either. Dave Golex and Steve did become the top two performers to play their twos stars for the movie which were Gonxo (Charles Dickens) and Rizzo the rat himself.
Just to let you know, Dave's last name is spelled Goelz.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Just to let you know, Dave's last name is spelled Goelz.
Uh-oh! Yep! I spelled his last name wrong! I didn't know it was "Goelz." Still Rowlf did get his own role back in The Muppets after like 20 to 22 years of having a small role or no role at all. I love that dog!

Hubert

Reaction score
Uh-oh! Yep! I spelled his last name wrong! I didn't know it was "Goelz." Still Rowlf did get his own role back in The Muppets after like 20 to 22 years of having a small role or no role at all. I love that dog!
I say I love that dog,
Like a bird loves to fly,
I say I love that dog,
Like a bird loves to fly,
I call him in the morning, say
"Hey there, Sky!"

Tell me where that's from and I'll give you a million dollars (not from anything Muppet related)