Classic Muppets vs Current Muppets

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
All I'm gonna say is times change. Which isn't really a bad thing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Won't argue there! I will say the times haven't always been great to the muppets in terms of quality but thank god that quality is back!
Yeah and I mean I do agree that it can be good when times change. I wouldn't have wanted Sesame Street to stay in Disco Land forever ::shivers::, lol.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Briefly mentioning Disco, I really like Shalamar myself. :smile:

Anyway what I think was great about The Muppets was they were timeless like the classic Looney Tunes

And just in general for any classic fictional comedy characters, it's just sad when if I walk into some sort of pop culture store and see characters in general dressing Gangsta Rap culture or buttons that you can get for $5.00 that will have a picture of them with some quote that didn't relate to the character at all like "Yo, recognize this?" "Sweet" "Having a Bad Day", etc just all these corny modern slang deadpan catchphrases basically.

But back to The Muppets, one of the things I missed around the Muppets Tonight era was there was these Muppet Parody calenders and they spoofed tv shows and movies, I've loved it. And it was NO PHOTOSHOP, NO PHOTOSHOP, NO STOCK PHOTOS COPIED AND PASSED! They used the photo puppets and specially made the pictures. I LOVED THESE but now it seems like any image of The Muppets in terms of merchandising it's just stock photos from 1999 or early 2000s. But that's just me, however if it was stock photos themselves unedited from the 70s - mid 90s, I won't mind as much. Again, just my opinion. :smile:

But like I mentioned before, I just miss the slapstick and brass rock music element of The Muppets, the bad puns and irreverent sitcom dramas with the characters. Even Kermit's anger management problems lol "YOUR FIRED PIGGY, YOU ARE FIRED FIRED!" lol That was probably the maddest I've ever seen Jim's Kermit. lol One of my top favorite Muppet Show episodes. lol

I just love when the characters are themselves. And what I loved about The Muppet Show is if you watched the characters closely and their personalities, sometimes it'll make you think what was their past like. Miss Piggy's past which it seems she makes up most of the time lol How Gonzo had a thing for chickens. And also how Miss Piggy would always have cheap attempts to impress Kermit and just drag Scooter along. lol I miss that. lol Even the one time where Bobby Benson got arrested during season 4. lol

I remember Steve Whitmire was talking once about how Jim wanted Kermit's personality to evolve and keep evolving after him with his new performer. For some reason, I don't clearly understood what that meant. I know that Kermit evolved though the years to what he became by the mid 80s. But I remember reading about how characters shouldn't copy or something like that which I also don't understand fully. Because the original character of course their personalities were created and evolved by the performer, and I would think that in terms of a new replacement performer. They would need to be just like their previous performers character because who the character was. But this is just in general sense, I'm not talking specifically about the current performers, they're great, I'm just talking about the theory I heard in general which I kind of found confusing. And of course the difference between The Muppets copaired to some voice actors of animation taking over someone's character is that in animation is usually just a voice that gets recorded but with The Muppets it's getting into the soul and heart of the character and how the previous performer felt about the character. And of course you just can't clone a performer (Unless I talk in scientific terms which would totally go off subject completely lol), there's only one. And it's not 100% perfect but it's as close as you can get. Anyway, I wanted to ask about that and put my two cents in about it as well. :smile:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
You can't have Kermit stay in the 1970's though. He has to be developed and up with current times. Jim alway made sure Kermit was up with the times in which he lived. It's no different then today. Even Steve said you have to always be developing Kermit's personality you can't let him get stale. Jim only said if anything ever happened to him Kermit had to go on right away.