Frank Oz: "New Muppets Too Cute"

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Watching the video back (again), I think Frank came across as remarkably amiable. He was also very diplomatic on his response on his thoughts on "The Muppets", when he really could have been mean. I think whats important to reiterate and remember, this guy had almost as much involvement in the creation of the Muppets as Jim Henson. You only have to watch any interview with Jim where he talks about Frank and gives him most of the credit. I personally feel whatever Frank says with regards to the Muppets is inherently right. These characters where born from his and Jim's imagination. The successors who have taken on these characters, and done a bloody good job(!!!) have had to "interpret" Franks and Jims characters which is VERY different from creating them. Think about it, the Muppets weren't really cute...at all. Even down to their "shabby" appearance.

I'll agree with everyone that says that Disney did a great job with "The Muppets"...they did. The box office, the reviews, everything cannot be disputed - whether it was everyones taste is down to personal preference really. I doubt there's ever been a universally loved movie ever created (Ghostbusters has GOT to come close :wink: ). BUT the Muppets need to take a step closer to their origins. I want to see them blowing each other up, I want to see the cartoonesque violence, I want to see more of the (relatively) close to the knuckle humour - can no-one remember Statler and Waldorf taking a machine gun and shooting at all the Muppets after the "Why can't we be friends?" number? Thats the Muppets I remember and want to see again. The completely barmy, irreverent, non-sensicle, undiluted, crazy bunch of characters the world fell in love with. Do I think Disney could deliver that vision...who knows, as shareholders have a huge influence and a reputation for conservative entertainment...exactly the opposite of Frank and Jim's Muppets in my humble opinion.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Watching the video back (again), I think Frank came across as remarkably amiable. He was also very diplomatic on his response on his thoughts on "The Muppets", when he really could have been mean. I think whats important to reiterate and remember, this guy had almost as much involvement in the creation of the Muppets as Jim Henson. You only have to watch any interview with Jim where he talks about Frank and gives him most of the credit. I personally feel whatever Frank says with regards to the Muppets is inherently right. These characters where born from his and Jim's imagination. The successors who have taken on these characters, and done a bloody good job(!!!) have had to "interpret" Franks and Jims characters which is VERY different from creating them. Think about it, the Muppets weren't really cute...at all. Even down to their "shabby" appearance.

I'll agree with everyone that says that Disney did a great job with "The Muppets"...they did. The box office, the reviews, everything cannot be disputed - whether it was everyones taste is down to personal preference really. I doubt there's ever been a universally loved movie ever created (Ghostbusters has GOT to come close :wink: ). BUT the Muppets need to take a step closer to their origins. I want to see them blowing each other up, I want to see the cartoonesque violence, I want to see more of the (relatively) close to the knuckle humour - can no-one remember Statler and Waldorf taking a machine gun and shooting at all the Muppets after the "Why can't we be friends?" number? Thats the Muppets I remember and want to see again. The completely barmy, irreverent, non-sensicle, undiluted, crazy bunch of characters the world fell in love with. Do I think Disney could deliver that vision...who knows, as shareholders have a huge influence and a reputation for conservative entertainment...exactly the opposite of Frank and Jim's Muppets in my humble opinion.
Well said Reevz. You pretty much have hit the nail on the head and probably expressed better what I've been trying to say in my last several posts.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
BUT the Muppets need to take a step closer to their origins. I want to see them blowing each other up, I want to see the cartoonesque violence, I want to see more of the (relatively) close to the knuckle humour.
Actually, they have. Watch things like the viral or Disney XD videos (Bohemian Rhapsody, Stand By Me, etc.)--those things heavily feature classic Muppet-style eatings, explosions, violence, etc.

Watching the video back (again), I think Frank came across as remarkably amiable. He was also very diplomatic on his response on his thoughts on "The Muppets", when he really could have been mean. I think whats important to reiterate and remember, this guy had almost as much involvement in the creation of the Muppets as Jim Henson. You only have to watch any interview with Jim where he talks about Frank and gives him most of the credit. I personally feel whatever Frank says with regards to the Muppets is inherently right. These characters where born from his and Jim's imagination. The successors who have taken on these characters, and done a bloody good job(!!!) have had to "interpret" Franks and Jims characters which is VERY different from creating them.
That does not mean Frank is always right! :mad:

And, no, the Muppets were not "cute" in the new movie anyway!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I realized something. As much as I'm disappointed but completely understand what Frank said, Frank said it with a lot of dignity... but most of all, at least his refusal to work on the film Didn't hold up production on it for the past decade, like SOME people. Seriously... just make the third one Animated, and get the cartoon voice actors back.

BUT the Muppets need to take a step closer to their origins. I want to see them blowing each other up, I want to see the cartoonesque violence, I want to see more of the (relatively) close to the knuckle humour.
I bet the Chef sequence would have qualified if used. They certainly have that humor in the virals... but the thing that bugs me is that at some point, someone (Kirk or Jim) said something about explosions, and the characters obsessed with them aren't funny in our modewrn world.

But a little buddy of mine kinda disagrees with that.

He LOVES to blow crap up. He actually makes Crazy harry look sane.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Just because it's Frank Oz doesn't mean he's always right. However like I've said I respect the man even more in this interview if that makes any sense. And I'm not saying he's wrong in this interview I just don't fully agree with it.

When I first saw this film cute wasn't going through my mind at all. Just thank god their back!!!!

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Actually, they have. Watch things like the viral or Disney XD videos (Bohemian Rhapsody, Stand By Me, etc.)--those things heavily feature classic Muppet-style eatings, explosions, violence, etc.
Very much agree!

That does not mean Frank is always right! :mad:
Very much disagree :smile: I see it as this - if I were to write a story with no ending, and someone were to chose to write the ending whilst I was still around and I said "no, thats not how it would end", would that make me, as the creator and originator wrong? If Frank came back on board with the Muppets, made Fozzie pink, have an afro, three eyes and a beard and rap all his dialogue, I would be perfectly cool with that because he created Fozzie*

*If you ever read this Frank, PLEASE do not do this...in-fact I'll copyright the idea just so NOBODY can do that!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
And in this case while I see Franks issues with the film I'm gonna have to fully disagree with him on the latest film. Sorry Frankie!!! Not that the probably cares what we think anyways. Lol! I just did not think the Muppets had any cuteness in this film at all. If you wanna get into cute. LTS had cute written all over it!!! Now if he'd said that was cute Id fully agree with him on that!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Very much disagree :smile: I see it as this - if I were to write a story with no ending, and someone were to chose to write the ending whilst I was still around and I said "no, thats not how it would end", would that make me, as the creator and originator wrong? If Frank came back on board with the Muppets, made Fozzie pink, have an afro, three eyes and a beard and rap all his dialogue, I would be perfectly cool with that because he created Fozzie
Two Words... George Lucas.

That is all.