Eric Jacobson as Cookie Monster?

bluebomber95

Reaction score
Now, we all know that Eric Jacobson has pretty much taken over all of Frank Oz's characters, aside from a few segments a year. The only character of Frank's that Eric hasn't taken over is Cookie Monster--now played fabulously by David Rudman. However, I think that Eric was originally supposed to take over Cookie Monster. Just listen closely to Cookie in the Sesame Home Video intro at the beginning of this video:

That sounds an awful lot like Eric. And, it makes sense chronologically. Eric began doing Bert and Grover around 1998. That's around the time that this intro replaced the old one. Frank was probably busy, as he usually is, so they got Eric to do Cookie Monster. After all, David Rudman didn't start doing Cookie until a few years later.

Just sort of interesting, in my opinion.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Eric didn't start doing Frank's characters until season 30. That intro pre-dates it. I'm pretty sure he never did Cookie on the show.

bluebomber95

Reaction score
Eric didn't start doing Frank's characters until season 30. That intro pre-dates it. I'm pretty sure he never did Cookie on the show.
Muppet Wiki states that Eric started doing Bert in 1997. This video was released in '98. Plus, it just sounds like Eric and not Frank or David. Listen closely, and I think you'll hear it.

jgidley

Reaction score
bluebomber95, I'm sorry that I didn't notice your thread here. I just started one earlier this evening without knowing. I do agree with you, though, that it sounds like Eric. I've noticed with any character Eric does that he tends to emphasize the T's in his sentences.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Muppet Wiki states that Eric started doing Bert in 1997. This video was released in '98. Plus, it just sounds like Eric and not Frank or David. Listen closely, and I think you'll hear it.
I don't know a single bit before season 30 where Eric did Bert. I'm pretty sure he didn't even perform him until season 31. He did some Grover in season 30. And again, the video you post appeared on VHS as early as 1996, so it predates what I say and what you say.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Muppet Wiki mentions that Eric Jacobson started performing Bert and Grover in 1996, but it's not cited, and I kind of doubt that info. Maybe he was learning to perform them at the time, or performing while Frank Oz did the voices, but I don't know for sure (out of all the main performers Jacobson seems to get interviews the least often). But then if they were training him to take over Oz's characters it's a wonder he didn't perform in Muppets Tonight or Muppets from Space.

bluebomber95

Reaction score
Eric, despite sounding a great deal like Frank, has a slight bit more nasally sound to his voice, which you hear in this video. Plus, Cookie doesn't sound quite as gruff. Additionally, why would they get Frank to do a 5-second home video logo? They probably just assumed no one would notice, but I noticed! MWAHAHAHAHA

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, years ago, around the time that Frank Oz's characters were given understudies (who have pretty much become recasts by this point, even if Jacobson and Rudman still consider them Oz's characters), I'd read that they did a few segments where Jacobson performed Cookie Monster, and I believe this was done sometime after Rudman started occasionally performing Cookie Monster. And lately I've been wondering if Jacobson really did perform Cookie Monster a few times or if it had just been some fan gossip. If he did perform Cookie Monster a few times, could anybody point out some segments where he performed the character?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Eric, despite sounding a great deal like Frank, has a slight bit more nasally sound to his voice, which you hear in this video. Plus, Cookie doesn't sound quite as gruff. Additionally, why would they get Frank to do a 5-second home video logo? They probably just assumed no one would notice, but I noticed! MWAHAHAHAHA
Well, they obviously would've done it while he was in for a recording session or filming.