Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
So far I haven't seen any previews here in the UK, so I'm sincerely hoping that they do not invade my turf!

While I read some of you talking about Thomas the Tank Engine, (which I loved as a wee tot) I couldn't help but remember seeing a preview of his latest movie at the cinema recently. A movie so epic, so dramatic, so exciting...that they're only showing it for two days! Yeeeeah...

Oh, and on a final note, CHRIIIIIS!?! CHRIIIIIIISTOPHER!!! WHY?!?! YOU WERE DOC BROWN!!! YOU WERE AWESOME AND VERY TALENTED!!!! I RESPECTED YOU!! WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING STUFF LIKE THIS!!!!! WHYYYY!!!!

*breaks down crying*

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I saw ads for this thing just the other day and figured it was just some direct to DVD thing at first. I was shocked when I realized this thing was going to theatres. The characters are horrifying. There's absolutely nothing appealing about them. I hope this thing doesn't take off. I'd hate to have to encounter merchandise at Toys R Us while I'm hunting for toy dogs for my collection.
I don't think anything is as horrifying as Boobahs...thank god those things are gone. I was genuinely disturbed and terrified by the opening to the show alone :embarrassed:

But yeah, these things are pretty creepy. Has anyone done some nightmare fuel art yet? I'd like to see it :stick_out_tongue:

robodog

Reaction score
I loathe Boo Bahs. Back when I was collecting Poo-Chi robot dogs the Poo-Chis were located right next to singing, motion activated Boo Bah toys at my local Wal Mart. Every time I went to buy a new Poo-Chi I had to contend with those singing horrors. The slightest motion would set the darn things off. You have no idea how much I wanted to build a bonfire right there in the middle of Wal Mart and toss every single one of those abominations into the flames.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think anything is as horrifying as Boobahs...thank god those things are gone. I was genuinely disturbed and terrified by the opening to the show alone :embarrassed:
Teletubbies was popular ironically, but Boobah was a nothing show with nothing for no one. If it was about fitness, the characters were fat... if it was for preschoolers, the characters were too creepy looking...there was virtually NO appeal on any count. And it bombed in a very embarrassing fashion, with all the merchandise getting deep discount clearance and still not moving.

And sad thing is more often than not, it's the low-to-no budget movies like these that end up becoming cult classics generations later.
Depends. Smaller produced independent films get the audience they deserved after time, movies that should have been hits but weren't became huge cult hits (look at Labyrinth), and films that are so bad they're good... or even so bad they're terrible that deserve to be mocked (like the tedious E.T. Knockoff Mac N' Me and it's CONSTANT McDonalds adverts).

This could be cult for being horrible... I want the RiffTrax guys to get a hold of this film and slaughter the heck out of it.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Where I used to work, a Boobah thing came in and we accepted it in trade for the sole purpose of scaring the living bejeebers out of one another with it. D--d thing kept popping up in people's lockers, hanging from manager's ofc ceiling, etc...until we finally DID take a power saw to it. Satisfying.

-------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Teletubbies was popular ironically
Teletubbies did to people in the 90s what Pufnstuf and other Krofft shows did to people in the 70s.

Teletubbies was popular ironically, but Boobah was a nothing show with nothing for no one. If it was about fitness, the characters were fat... if it was for preschoolers, the characters were too creepy looking...there was virtually NO appeal on any count. And it bombed in a very embarrassing fashion, with all the merchandise getting deep discount clearance and still not moving.

Depends. Smaller produced independent films get the audience they deserved after time, movies that should have been hits but weren't became huge cult hits (look at Labyrinth), and films that are so bad they're good... or even so bad they're terrible that deserve to be mocked (like the tedious E.T. Knockoff Mac N' Me and it's CONSTANT McDonalds adverts).

This could be cult for being horrible... I want the RiffTrax guys to get a hold of this film and slaughter the heck out of it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Teletubbies did to people in the 90s what Pufnstuf and other Krofft shows did to people in the 70s.
I can't say I'm a huge Krofft fan, but it's a weird comparison. Krofft shows are all about story telling, and Teletubbies was an illfated, yet successful, attempt to make shows for kids too young to watch or even enjoy TV by making things flash and repeat themselves. I saw some of the H.R. Puffenstuff movie, and it really felt tongue in cheek. A lot of the psychedelic stuff seemed at the time in that show and all deliberate... Teletubbies was a druggy show due to the fact that druggies' brains usually turn into that of a baby with snark cynicism.

Still, at least H.R. got intentional laughs out of it. Teletubbies was torturous to watch and not even so bad it's good, unless you watch it in 2 minute bites. I did like the one with the cut scene of the extremely hairy, swarthy guy with a thick somewhere weird in Europe accent singing to his daughters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't say I'm a huge Krofft fan, but it's a weird comparison. Krofft shows are all about story telling, and Teletubbies was an illfated, yet successful, attempt to make shows for kids too young to watch or even enjoy TV by making things flash and repeat themselves. I saw some of the H.R. Puffenstuff movie, and it really felt tongue in cheek. A lot of the psychedelic stuff seemed at the time in that show and all deliberate... Teletubbies was a druggy show due to the fact that druggies' brains usually turn into that of a baby with snark cynicism.

Still, at least H.R. got intentional laughs out of it. Teletubbies was torturous to watch and not even so bad it's good, unless you watch it in 2 minute bites. I did like the one with the cut scene of the extremely hairy, swarthy guy with a thick somewhere weird in Europe accent singing to his daughters.
Well, what I mean was, both kinds of shows were meant to be aimed at little children, yet they're overall weirdness garnered the attention of older kids and adults as well, who started watching, as you always say, out of irony.