Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Last night I logged on to Facebook and the first thing I saw was Muppet Wiki's post on Jerry's passing, and I'm thinking to myself, "WHAT?!". But I had a real bad feeling that it would happen at one point or another. Earlier today while I was watching Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration (for old time's sake), I kept getting chills or nearly started tearing up whenever any of Jerry's characters appeared/spoke (as well as during Bein' Green and I Don't Want to Live on the Moon; yeah I know these clips don't involve Jerry, but it's the truth). Of course that's when I realized that it's going to be hard to watch or listen to anything with his involvement (especially if he's performing with Jim and/or Richard).

When I was in 6th grade (about 5 or 6 years ago) , I wrote to Sesame Workshop (see the Fan Mail thread for the reason why I did) and sometime later, not only did they send me a letter back, but they also included these autographed photos of Oscar, Ernie, and The Count. Even if Jerry didn't sign the photo of The Count, that one is the holy grail/most important of the three (three vonderful photos! ah! ah! ah!), as of right now, for an obvious reason.

Currently, I'm trying to work on a video as a tribute to Jerry Nelson, and I'm hoping to upload it on YouTube or something.

Otherwise, I know that Matt Vogel will do a fantastic job taking over his characters.

RIP, Jerry Nelson! You were one of the best performers ever, and every Muppet Fan is going to miss you so much! :batty: :search: :sing: :fishy: :crazy: :cluck: :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, when I was in Grade 8, there was a bizarre little page that was made over the school P.A. system that really caught my attention:

"Would Jerry Nelson report to the main office, please? Jerry Nelson please report to the main office."

I'm it wasn't THE Jerry Nelson, but heh, what are the odds of hearing something like that in school?

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
You know, when I was in Grade 8, there was a bizarre little page that was made over the school P.A. system that really caught my attention:

"Would Jerry Nelson report to the main office, please? Jerry Nelson please report to the main office."

I'm it wasn't THE Jerry Nelson, but heh, what are the odds of hearing something like that in school?
That's strange. I never heard something like this before but it was interesting to hear that.

Shangothefrog

Reaction score
It's indeed a very sad day for all Muppet fans. Thank you, Mr. Jerry Nelson for bringing your characters to life. Floyd Pepper, Camilla, Pops, J.P. Grosse, Robin The Frog, Ma Bear, Lew Zealand, Louis Kazagger, Crazy Harry, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Slim Wilson, Sherlock Hemlock, Mumford, Biff, Herry Monster, Mr. Johnson, Sam the Robot, Count Von Count, Gobo, Trash Heap, Pa Gorg, Uncle Deadly.....are now voiceless (moment of silence).

You'll be missed, along with Jim Henson, and Richard Hunt. RIP

jgidley

Reaction score
ABC News did a brief little tribute to him tonight, mentioning how before Twilight and True Blood, everybody's favorite purple vampire was Count Von Count, who taught generations of kids how to count, and that he also brought to life other characters as well, including Mr. Snuffleupagus, and they also mentioned that there was a fear that some felt Count would be too scary a character for the kids watching, but it was Jerry's charm and whimsy that made him such a beloved character for millions of kids.
If anyone has a clip of either that or the NBC story, that would be great