Performers' Successors Questions

Whatnot1988

Reaction score
I am sorry if this thread is poorly timed, but I have two questions regarding the recasting of Muppet characters (Sesame, TMS, or otherwise).

I have been noticing a pattern regarding these recasts: With a few exceptions, it is common knowledge that Eric Jacobson has acquired most of the Frank Oz characters, Matt Vogel has most of the Jerry Nelson (RIP) characters, and David Rudman got several Richard Hunt characters, while most of the Jim Henson characters are either performed by Steve Whitmire or Bill Baretta.

My questions are:

1. If Disney or Sesame Workshop (highly unlikely but still...) wanted to bring back a "lost" character whose original performer is long gone, would they automatically turn to a single performer? I could imagine Bill Baretta doing Bip Bippadotta, for example.

2. Does the fact that two characters have nearly-identical voices influence the producers?

anytimepally

Reaction score
2. Does the fact that two characters have nearly-identical voices influence the producers?
Probably but not always. Otherwise, Dave Goelz would have been given Rowlf, who doesn't sound all that different from Waldorf.