Palisades-style Hanna-Barbera figures

jvcarroll

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on a new line of Hanna-Barbera collectibles? They're less detailed than Palisades while more articulated than the HB figures of the past. These guys can apparently get into a variety of poses, yet the articulation points do look a little raw. I'd have to see them in person, but I like what I see. Here's the article: Jazwares Unveils New Line of Hanna-Barbera Collectibles

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I hear Jazwares toys tend to not be the best quality :/

Drtooth

Reaction score
Jazzwares has come quite a ways in becoming an action figure producer. It's original Megaman line left much to be desired (except for the Retro Rotos). And I really do like their Finn and Jake, despite them being rotocast and giving them floppy rubbery arms that can't hold up their accessories (not to mention the lack of action figure sized Ice King and lack of Lemongrab on any angle). Their Regular Show line looks great, if funky due to the fact the character designs translate kinda weird in 3-D.

But there's something special about this HB line up. First of all, there's nothing but respect from me for this line, and I'll tell you why. Back before the action figure collapse in the last decade, we could have any random thing made into an action figure collectible. Old sitcoms, old cartoons, old movies... anything went. Then when the collectors market both spontaneously glutted itself and collapsed, the only toys you could find were movie merchandise. And that's mostly the retailers' fault. The Transformers:Animated merchandise was constantly screwed over by whatever Bay movie came out, and the same crap was being pulled with Transformers Prime (even though the designs of the show are almost exactly like the movie ones). So basically, not only is making merchandise specific of cartoon shows that are ONLY cartoon shows absolutely amazing, and a step in the right direction... but now we're talking classic cartoons, some of which haven't been on TV in years.

Of course, I have noticed a resurgence of Tom and Jerry for some reason. They're always making questionable DTV movies... but everything else is clearly collector's market stuff. Personally, I'd be happy just with Hong Kong Phooey. I have that oversculpted statue thing from MacFarline toys that I'm too afraid to take out of the package, and missed BOTH Funko's Bobblehead and Action Force vynal figure. No way I'm missing that. There are also pretty TRU overpriced PVC sets of Jetsons, Flintstones, and Tom and Jerry as well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And I really do like their Finn and Jake, despite them being rotocast and giving them floppy rubbery arms that can't hold up their accessories (not to mention the lack of action figure sized Ice King and lack of Lemongrab on any angle). Their Regular Show line looks great, if funky due to the fact the character designs translate kinda weird in 3-D.
See, this is another reason why I hate modern CN: every single new show they crank out gets ******* merchandise and stuff! Back in the day, only Dexter and PPG got merchandise because they were their two most successful series: Cow and Chicken, Courage, all the others may have gotten an occasional fast food premium, and the Eds didn't get any merchandising until after they were supposed to end after their standard 52 episodes, but once KND came into play, practically every new CN show suddenly got the full-on licensing and merchandising treatment.

Course it really doesn't matter anymore, in recent years, I've lost that "crazy collector" fascet of my personality... even if they were to bring out merchandise of some of those older CN shows today, I probably wouldn't buy anything.

Drtooth

Reaction score
See, this is another reason why I hate modern CN: every single new show they crank out gets ******* merchandise and stuff! Back in the day, only Dexter and PPG got merchandise because they were their two most successful series: Cow and Chicken, Courage, all the others may have gotten an occasional fast food premium, and the Eds didn't get any merchandising until after they were supposed to end after their standard 52 episodes, but once KND came into play, practically every new CN show suddenly got the full-on licensing and merchandising treatment.

Wanna see my Chowder collection? it's 3 out of 4 figures I got out a gumball machine. Plus, Mattel's CN toy line up of the Eds, Grim and Mandy, and Fosters (among others that never got produced) were lousy and impossible to find.

Plus, I wanna get honest here. I HATED all the PPG merchandise. Large doll like figures with small character PVC pack ins. Other than the plush toys, that is... the Dexter stuff was actually quite good, but impossible to find as well. The KND line was amazing because that's what toys should be. Especially the 6 pack of small PVC figures that put Bandai's Teen Titans mini line to shame. They were the first CN toys to be done right. Then there was the impossible to find Samurai Jack line.

But I'm very excited about the Regular Show and Classic HB lines. I hope that both do well enough to have a series two. I'd LOVE to see a large Scale 2 pack of Dasdardly and Muttley in either show attire.

robodog

Reaction score
I really REALLY want that Hong Kong Phooey. The rest I can take or leave.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, does anyone know how that Space Ghost compares with the SG Coast to Coast action figures from 2002 or so? I never managed to snag anyone but Zorak.

Kinda wish Tom and Jerry were bundled together, and they had George Jetson to go with that Rosie, but so far so good.

But yeah, the Hong Kong Phooey is the pick of the bunch.

robodog

Reaction score
You're right. Tom and Jerry should have been packed together. You can't really have one without the other. I've never really been that big a T&J fan though.
I also question why they have Rosie without any of the other Jetsons characters. You kind of need at least George.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're right. Tom and Jerry should have been packed together. You can't really have one without the other. I've never really been that big a T&J fan though.
Money I guess. it all comes down to having to buy 2 7 dollar figures instead of one package of 11 dollar figures like HKP and Spot or Space Ghost and Blip. Though, if they did that, they could have made Tom and Jerry in scale with each other. I know back when Playmates had the Simpsons line, Itchy and Scratchy were together.

I also question why they have Rosie without any of the other Jetsons characters. You kind of need at least George.
Or Astro for that matter.