Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I really really wish I could see it. I've been looking forward to it and I just don't think I'll be able to get to the theater in time. Hopefully it won't take as long as coraline did to come to dvd

Drtooth

Reaction score
We saw "The Campaign" tonight. When my dad asked if I wanted to, I declined and said "It looks insipid." And it kinda was. It tried to be smart and satirical, but all the vulgarity took away from it. They're not trying to get laughs from the extreme ridiculousness of how it fits into the campaign like a satire WOULD do, but just tried to make it a laugh before of how inappropriate it was. And the ending? When it cut to black, I went "What?"
Sounds a lot less vulgar than our real life campaigns.

I'm probably going to try to see it, I guess... It seems like they're trying to do the same thing they did with The Other Guys, trying to hide vital social commentary into a frat boy movie... sounds like Other Guys did a better job.

Though I still want to see this because they supposedly mock two of the three worst figures in American politics, the Koch Brothers.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Sounds a lot less vulgar than our real life campaigns.

I'm probably going to try to see it, I guess... It seems like they're trying to do the same thing they did with The Other Guys, trying to hide vital social commentary into a frat boy movie... sounds like Other Guys did a better job.

Though I still want to see this because they supposedly mock two of the three worst figures in American politics, the Koch Brothers.
I haven't seen The Other Guys, so I can't judge. And yes, they DO mock the Koch Brothers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just feel I have to point this out.

Know how when I was talking about the new Spider-Man film, I said that, considering the Daily Bugle became both print and televised news media in the film, JJJ would probably be an O'Reily Factor type editorial show host?

Turns out they already are doing that in the new Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. They usually make these cartoons adaptions with the upcoming movies in mind. The Batman was heavily influenced by the Chris Nolan movies, even though it premiered a year before the movie came out, and more or less, they had a similar Joker concept... at least in the fact the character was full blown crazy, and not a criminal king pin like other versions of the character (though the cartoon version was a less homicidal kinda crazy).

So I'm guessing that the Ultimate cartoon either predicted that JJJ would be in a similar role in the second Amazing Spider-Man film, or it's just such an obvious way to handle the character in a post-print media world.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You can tell that Paranorman's completely under the radar, which is very disappointing on all levels (&^%$ August release date! Doesn't help that it couldn't be released in September or October when a horror comedy kid's film would do wonders because of Hotel Transylvania and Frankenwenie getting those respective release months).

Mainly because I haven't heard anyone shaking their fist at the twist ending, where...

after Paranorman's stereotypical teenage sister has spent a good portion of the movie trying to get this stereotypical jock to notice her, finally asks him to take her out on a date "just not to a scary movie," the jock responds with "Oh! I should totally introduce you to my boyfriend. he LOVES chick Flicks!"
in so much as that was an AWESOME gag with a great payoff.

But had this movie been popular like it should have been, you KNOW who'd be up in arms and they'd TOTALLY spoil that gag.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Just looked up "Hotel Transylvania" hoping it would be based on the Chelsea Quinn Yarbro book...eeesh. Not even close. Selena Gomez has a leading role?

.....WHY?

------------

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
The previews look funny for Hotel Transylvania. I wanna see it. I agree about the Selena Gomez part. :rolleyes:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just looked up "Hotel Transylvania" hoping it would be based on the Chelsea Quinn Yarbro book...eeesh. Not even close. Selena Gomez has a leading role?
I'm trying to keep an open mind, as the director is Genndy Tartakovsky.

I can't say it really grabs me so far, but I'm a fan of his work, he got completely screwed by CN recently... it's nice to see him move on.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Paranorman, I want to see. Hotel Transylvania looks good too. But I have my eyes set on Frankenweenie. I'm a big Tim Burton fan. I know, I know. Run out of good ideas, uses too much Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter... I disagree. He's got superb directorial skill and I really love the short film he made in the 80's that it's based on. I'm glad he's making it and additionally keeping it in black and white.

I've been gone for a while, while I'm here. I'll give you my response to Brave and Madagascar 3. One word to describe both: awesome! Brave was Pixar's first fairy tale foray. And they did it perfectly. Not their best film by any means but was not their worst at all *cough* *cough* Cars 2 *cough*... And great jokes from the supporting characters. It was just a great story.

Madagascar 3 on the other hand, was great but not the best. It's story was good but I prefer the first or the TV series anyday. Stefano stood out however. Julian was funny as ever. But the story was a little all over the place and rushed. Alex's love story wasn't that interesting though, nor Melman and Gloria's. But, overall it was a great and an okay addition to the franchise.