Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
The counter is now at roughly $225,000 as of this posting date. According to Box Office Mojo, this must gross $5 million at most in order for it to be considered a legendary flop. Let's hope for the best, people!
The (corrected) budget for the film was 20 million. Even if no one saw it, it's a 20 million dollar loss. That's a bomb, sure, but not even a legendary one. Mars needs Moms... THAT was legendary failure, mainly do to it's high budget. Now it depends on scale of percentage losses, if it's a loss greater than 90% of the budget THAT would be a massive flop relatively.

But it seems they knew this movie wasn't bound to make money, that's why they did it low budget. This thing is going to have a <20 million dollar loss no doubt... but hardly a $100,000,000 loss like MNM.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Here's a list of box office bombs from Wikipedia, where bombs are defined by the movies that lost the most money from production to ticket sales.

By percentage of budget lost, A Troll In Central Park as the biggest flop of all time, losing a mind-boggling 99.70 percent of its budget.

EDIT: Mars Needs Moms lost 77.72 percent of its budget.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I was using as reference by the way... just didn't feel like posting it.

It's all about Scale. Troll in Central Park, adjusted, lost about 36 million, but it was pretty cheap to produce. But MNM... HUGE overblown budget... same with Green Lantern. It made like 200 mil... but out of a 300+ mil....

Mars Needs Moms....just looking at that title, you know it's going to be a REALLY stupid movie.
It's based off a kids book by Berkeley Breathed, the cartoonist behind the Bloom County comic strip and an established children's book author. I never actually read that one, but have read some of his other ones... they're very sweat, well written and well illustrated kids books that are at the top of their class.

But THAT's the problem. It was a kid's book, and kids picture book adaptions to the big screen? Ehhhhhhhh.... the words unnecessary filler keep coming into my head. At best there was Shrek that BARELY managed to resemble the original (in so much the fact that Shrek was a reluctant ogre, there was a talking Donkey, and there was an ogre princess... that was COMPLETELY different from the movie one). I don't want to mention that other film as a bad example (people actually like it, and that bugs me as a fan of the original book), but it's basically an adaption in name only with a certain event sort of like the book, but explained and rationalized to the point where it becomes something less.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's based off a kids book by Berkeley Breathed, the cartoonist behind the Bloom County comic strip and an established children's book author.
Bit of an oxymoron, considering Bloom County, and the spin-off Opus are rather edgy, borderline adult comic strips.

But I digress, did he actually a children's book with Opus? I seem to recall a storybook from Grade 2 about a penguin in bunny pajamas.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bit of an oxymoron, considering Bloom County, and the spin-off Opus are rather edgy, borderline adult comic strips.
You... uh... know about Dr. Seuss's uh... earliest work, right? He kinda did some... uh... particularly not politically correct stuff. And I don't mean just his WW2 editorial cartoons.

But I digress, did he actually a children's book with Opus? I seem to recall a storybook from Grade 2 about a penguin in bunny pajamas.

A Wish For Wings that Work. That was turned into an animated special...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Have you seen this? Is it any good?
When it fist aired, man. I taped it too. But since my VCR is gone, I'd have to get the DVD provided it's even still in print.

But lemme tell you something. It's a stone cold shame that there was never any other Bloom County animated specials. The animation was the most beautiful thing you'd ever see. Bill was even more fun in animation. Great, classic special that unfortunately is forgotten by everyone but Bloom County fans.