Muppet Wizard of Oz - Positives and Negatives

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Hmm...while I agree it was a Gonzo movie I will have to disagree with you. To me in MFS it looked like him and sounded like him but to me he wasn't Kermit. And I dont think Kermit & Piggy have to ALWAYS BE the center of attention but you can't deny that that's not one of the main appeals of the Muppets whether your a fan them or not. That was something Jim Henson always made sure of in all three movies was that their relationship was an important part of the stories. And then when he past it got pushed to the back for 12 years. I'm not saying it's the ONLY MAIN appeal to the Muppets because there's so many other important things besides Kermit. But it is an important one. And I'm not even talking about just Kermit and Piggy but he showed little concern for Gonzo as well.

As I've said before Kermit himself said that MFS was not the last movie you wanna do you want to do a better one. Anyways back on topic...

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
That's a really good point. For that matter, is it just me, or did none of the Muppets really seem to be all that close in MFS? Gonzo and Rizzo have a few little moments, sure. And I see what you mean by Kermit not showing much concern for Gonzo. Sure, he has a few little moments (concerned about Gonzo's safety after he's kidnapped, worried Gonzo might have finally lost it, etc.), but one really would expect much more from Kermit.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I expected much more out all of them. Not just Kermit. That was one film that had the potential to be something really good. However this was the same director who did Alvin and the Chipmunks and Hop. Need I say more?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Muppets From Space seems to have been invaded by pod people. Many of the characters don't seem right. Kermit is detached for most of the film. Miss Piggy doesn't share even one romantic glance at her frog the whole picture. I understand Gonzo's doubt and inner-journey but he didn't have enough zany moments. He's Gonzo! And don't get me started about Fozzie. Did he take a Sudafed before coming to set? MFS has some great scenes and a few touching moments, but it lacks the spark and charm of the 6 other Muppet pictures.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I think we need to start a "Positives/Negatives for MFS" thread.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
There's already a thread on here about what went wrong with MFS.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think every Muppet movie/special should prominently feature the Electric Mayhem in a musical number. That hasn't really happened since Muppet Family Christmas. Well, Studio DC, but we'll overlook that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wow I couldn't have said that better myself. Brilliantly said DrTooth!
Thanks. I was going to mention the comic book Muppet Snow White where Piggy voluntarily chooses to be the Wicked Queen to show her acting depth, but got insanely angry and jealous when she realized that Kermit was playing the prince, and what's worse, Spamella Hamderson was playing Snow White. But that came out over 5 years after MOZ, so it's just a hindsight thing.

Side note: If they ever want to another Classic Retelling, get the guy who wrote that one. It's like MCC the way it SHOULD have been.

I think every Muppet movie/special should prominently feature the Electric Mayhem in a musical number. That hasn't really happened since Muppet Family Christmas. Well, Studio DC, but we'll overlook that.

EHHH! You forgot the "Rock and Rollin' around the World" number at Muppets at Walt Disney World. The ONLY time they had Clifford as part of the band in a kinda sad what could have been in hindsight.

But yeah. I understand the time constrictions and the way too much crammed in for more aspects of the new movie, and the fact that they haven't been fully recast until those DC specials... but next film NEEDS a strong EM number. As far as MoZ goes, Naptime, as meh as it is (and it's the second best song in the film) is the furthest they got in years. Even though it was just repeating "Naptime" rhythmically. Much better than the background gig in MCC. I did like the "Don't argue politics, just play the gig" bit in MTI, though. Still, I wish they did more in "The Witch is in the House" than just accompany...

But that is the ONE positive thing I can say about it... The EM were back to a bigger extent than the previous films and specials.