The "Have You Ever Wondered..." Thread

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I've been wondering is this...

If you lose an appendage, it won't grow back.
If you lose a tooth, it won't grow back (unless it's a baby tooth you lost, then grew in a bigger one).
If you lose an arm, a leg, a finger, a toe, they won't grow back.
So how is it if you completely pluck out a hair, it eventually grows back? I mean cutting hair is one thing (like mowing grass, it all still has its roots, it'll grow back), but to remove it completely, out of the little pores it grows from, eventually, it grows back.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Your hair is made out of dead proteins, specifically keratin, which is the same stuff your nails are made out of. The follicle is what produces produces the hair. Your hair really isn't "rooted" the same way a plant is. Besides, you lose hairs from the the follicle all the time. It's called shedding :stick_out_tongue:

Hubert

Reaction score
Your hair is made out of dead proteins, specifically keratin, which is the same stuff your nails are made out of. The follicle is what produces produces the hair. Your hair really isn't "rooted" the same way a plant is. Besides, you lose hairs from the the follicle all the time. It's called shedding :stick_out_tongue:
*steps off of thread, considering Sarge already knows what I'm about to say*

Hubert

Reaction score
People shouldn't ask science questions if they don't want a real answer :stick_out_tongue:

Of course, I tried to simplify that by a lot :stick_out_tongue:
*laughs at the fact that I was right: Sarge really did know what I was about to say*

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Please tell me you are pulling a Hubert and are not being serious...

Vincent L

Reaction score
Please tell me you are pulling a Hubert and are not being serious...
No, I'm serious. I'm really curious how they're made so short.

(since when did "Hubert" become a adj? :stick_out_tongue:)

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Children and midgets (or little people...whatever it is they prefer being called) :/

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No, I'm serious. I'm really curious how they're made so short.
Nature. The actors who played the Munchkins in Wizard of Oz had Hypopituitary Dwarfism. They also hired some children to round out the cast.