How can someone hate Elmo?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, Kevin has built himself quite an empire, not just from performing Elmo (although that does have a lot to do with it), but he's also very involved with SST behind the scenes as well, producing and directing quite a bit... then again, a number of the Muppeteers have also been involved behind the scenes more and more as well: Joey Mazzarino is currently head writer (though he's been writing for years), and Jim Martin does a lot of directing as well. Rickey Boyd's had some behind the scenes involvement as well.

As for necrophilia... well, you know what pedophilia is right? Well, it's like that, only instead of kids, it's dead bodies.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Elmo myself, but I do like the fact that other characters share the spotlight every once in a while. I do admit, Kevin Clash brings plenty of funny moments as Elmo, but I don't like the fact that Elmo seems to get more attention than the other characters on the show. I think Sesame Workshop is making the right move by including other characters with him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
*Sigh*...I too dislike what has happened to Bert & Ernie, with Steve being away and all. But that's topic for another time.
I wonder how Steve's schedule is. I see a LOT of Eric's characters popping up on the show, but not so much Steve. But the flipside... they're so popular in Germany, they're supposedly pushing out all the other German characters that aren't the horse and sheep. Still, I blame the fact that SS doesn't show all the Ernie and Bert's great Adventures AND the block format just about kills any room for older clips.

As far as Grover, does anyone see those Elmo-Grover debates? Like some fans feel Elmo replaced Grover as the "cute" monster on the show. Any Grover fans wanna elaborate on that?
Elmo only "replaced" Grover when Frank Oz was still his only performer. Now it seems like he's got a LOT of focus, almost more than any other classic character. And that's all due to being recast. Out of the four characters, Big Bird, Grover, Elmo, and Abby, Elmo is the ONLY one that didn't get a Macy's parade balloon. Grover was chosen over Elmo! Also, while Elmo is just getting his second segment, Elmo the Musical, Grover has had 2... the now defunct Global Grover and Super Grover 2.0 (which has become one of the show's pet segments... they run it virtually every episode to the point of rerunning episodes 3 times a season).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Also, while Elmo is just getting his second segment, Elmo the Musical, Grover has had 2... the now defunct Global Grover and Super Grover 2.0 (which has become one of the show's pet segments... they run it virtually every episode to the point of rerunning episodes 3 times a season).
Wait a minute... I thought Elmo the Musical was just a one-shot bit, you mean to tell me it's going to be a recurring segment? Oh God help us...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wait a minute... I thought Elmo the Musical was just a one-shot bit, you mean to tell me it's going to be a recurring segment? Oh God help us...
A recurring segment that replaces the stale Elmo's Wolrd segment with something more focused and coherent. It's a compromise, if anything. They cannot completely divorce a 15 minute Elmo segment at the end of the show. The next best thing is to replace it with another Elmo segment. I was saying they should go with Elmo's Backyard, but anything is better than EW.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
*Sigh* I guess even Sesame Street is inpenetrable from the world of crappy musical series like Glee and Smash...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Aw, come now... you know as well as I do Sesame Street was ALWAYS Musical.

Besides... If I see Elmo talk to a baby style filler again... RRR! You can tell even the show makers were losing interest with it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
*Sigh* I guess even Sesame Street is inpenetrable from the world of crappy musical series like Glee and Smash...
But Sesame has GOOD songs (well, Glee uses good songs)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As far as Grover, does anyone see those Elmo-Grover debates? Like some fans feel Elmo replaced Grover as the "cute" monster on the show. Any Grover fans wanna elaborate on that?
Well Grover's thing is that he knows he's cute and isn't ashamed to talk about it, lol.