When you need to rant...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I feel like I don't have room to talk here, as I often contribute to muffining, but I do admit that we have been going overboard lately, almost to the point that some muffins I completely have been avoiding...and believe me, that's a first...
And you know what's weird about that? I used to be one of those people who avoided going off topic...lately though...

I'm a terrible person.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, I too am guilty of occasional muffining every now and then, it just seems like nearly every single thread anymore suddenly turns into a muffin fest, and it especially gets all the more out of hand when multiple people get into the muffining mode and there's a lot of ziffeling and overlooked posts going on.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I take responsibility too. I can admit when I've done wrong as well. It was getting out of hand so I can also say I didnt help with it. But I am gonna try and not let it get too out of hand from now on. I usually am good at least I think so of not going too off topic or if I do I try to get it right back on. And as D Snowth says there is already threads for that so I agree we need to just try and keep it there. Like I said I am guilty as well. :/

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Years ago, there were some special paperback editions released of the old Fudge books by Judy Blume, so I figured I'd pick them up because I loved those books as a kid, and never actually owned a copy of any of them.

I had actually forgotten about them until recently, so I picked one up and started flipping through it, and here's what I have to rant about: the fact that Ms. Blume made some changes throughout, I'm guessing so that it would make more sense, or be more relatable to today's children... for example, in one original book, Fudge mentions that he likes to watch Sesame Street and The Electric Company, but now he says he likes to watch Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. Likewise, Peter makes out his wishlist to Santa (despite not believing in him) which now contains such items as CDs, and a laptop computer, among other things.

Maybe I'm too much of a purist, but I was a little bothered by the changes.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Oh man I haven't read Fudge books since I was 10. We read a lot of them in school and they were one of my favorite reads. I should see if I can find some at the used bookstore. I used to love Beverly Clearly too. Ramona was one of my faves.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On the subject of books, that brings to mind another rant of mine:

What's the deal with this mentality that people have that, "Once I read it, why do I need to buy it"? I mean, are people so anti-book that they're refuse to buy it simply because they've read it? I'm sure that's what libraries are for an all, but don't you ever feel like just picking up a book you've read before and giving it a re-read, or at least jog your memory about a certain thing that took place in the book? Heck, I remember back in the day in school, every year there was always a book-fair-esque thing towards the end of the year, where there would be different kinds of books available to kids for sale; I remember in Grade 8, there was a Garfield collection book that I decided to purchase... at one point, I decided to take a minute and start looking through it before it was time to go back to class, and one other kid walked up to me and asked if I bought it. Yes. Why? What do you mean why? Well, once you read it, what do you need to buy it for? Why would you buy it if you've already read it? I simply said because sometimes I like to re-read books. Once again, I was met with "Why?"

The anti-book mentality seems to keep getting even more extreme as the years go by; I know Kanye West has made it clear that he hates books so much that when he wrote his autobiography, it was only 52 pages long.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
To me that's just like renting movies. "Why buy it when I've already seen it?" Well so you don't have to keep paying everytime you wanna watch it. I love Nicholas Sparks books and I buy them because I usually will re-read the same book at least 3 times.

My husband is a book lover as all get out and he says he likes the idea of the book is his when buying it.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I don't think it's anti-book attitudes as much as some people might be just be cheap, and think "hey I read this once from the library, no reason to buy it".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, I mean it, I really don't think it's cheapness so much as it is, there are just people out there who hate books that much, for whatever reason.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I'll admit I'm not a huge book person but I've seen people who hate them so much they wanna make a bonfire out of them. I mean we all have our personal preferences but to actually wanna burn all the books there are out there is a bit much don't you think?