The Official October/Halloween/Fall Thread

Slackbot

Reaction score
I live autumn because it means that the hot stinky sweltery summer is over and I can look forward to being in my natural habitat once more...said natural habitat being a denim jacket. It's also great because there are a bunch of holidays in there.

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday of the year. It's so much fun. Last year I got to wear my Patchwork Girl costume at work, and though it didn't even place in the office costume (read: popularity) contest, it got loads of compliments for weeks afterward. Alas, this year we won't be having such a contest, but I'm thinking of dressing up anyway, wearing a wig and different makeup so I look like a normal person who doesn't happen to be me.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Trader Joe's has pumpkin chai mix! Tried it yesterday. REAL pumpkin not just spices. Very very nice even though the weather won't be autumnal here until, oh...January...

----------------

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I liked halloween a lot better when I was a kid, but haven't enjoyed the holiday much in the past decade... But in the last few weeks I've actually been in the holiday spirit. I feel in the mood to see some old horror movies that I haven't seen, and there are a lot I haven't seen (I have not seen any movies in the Child's Play, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, or Friday the 13th franchises).

I trick-or-treated until I was in the 9th grade. Then I was diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks before halloween, and stopped trick-or-treating ever since (I was also close to if not the age when most people stop). Even without diabetes, I usually had trouble deciding on what I wanted to be for halloween every year, and usually settled on being either a ghost or a vampire (one year I was Peter Pan, another year I was the Tin Man, and moving in the costume was a pain).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
another year I was the Tin Man, and moving in the costume was a pain).
You mean to say you were actually in a costume made out of actual tin? Because I was the Tin Man one Halloween too when I was a kid, but the costume was basically really thin foam rubber to give it shape and such.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You mean to say you were actually in a costume made out of actual tin? Because I was the Tin Man one Halloween too when I was a kid, but the costume was basically really thin foam rubber to give it shape and such.
I can't remember what it was made of (I think cardboard). But I still struggled with bending my legs.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I can't find a good enough Halloween party aimed at adults. I tell ya, last year I found one in the paper called "Mel Brooks Halloween Party" and I was super excited being a huge fan myself, I'm thinking "Yes, Yes, Yes, gonna meet some Mel Brooks / 70s parody movie buffs, like minded people and perhaps someone dressing up as a hippie dictator. Guess what? It was just Spaceballs on a little TV screen in a bar, that's it. And I couldn't even hear the volume that well. Also I must be the only adult I know besides my best friend who don't like the taste of acholol. So I got a Root Beer instead. lol Maybe it was coke, don't remember, but I wanted to add Root Beer just for a cheap laugh. lol At least one of the bartenders I talked to said he lost all his friends in college as well as his girlfriend after he showed them "Meet The Feebles". I'm laughing like crazy because that's one of my all time favorite movies EVER! :wink: And I chatted with some guy who was a regular, but other then seeing two teenage guys play fighting while on the job of being so called professional DJs and strobe lights (bad swearing music), that was it. I was kind of disappointed. Same as this year, you know it seems like there's rarely any social events that are big and exciting. Occasional small groups and parties, nothing exciting in my taste. I even struggled to find groups of interest on Meetup.com, but that's another story. lol

Well at least I always have a yearly celebration with just me and my best friend (basically the only friend I've got in my social life, but I've been friends with him since I was 8 and we talk to each other every week and see each other every other week). We would have ourselves movie nights, well we have movie nights every single time we hang out. It's our thing. lol We're DVD collectors. But we have a special one for Halloween. TV Specials and Movies. I think I played the Vincent Price episode to him a few times, I try to find something with The Muppets to put within the line up. As well as the Beavis & Butt-head special we watch every year, I try to find some Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, South Park, etc. lol And for movies he brings the 80s slasher / Classic Universal and I just bring the really bad campy movies. I think last year we watched Santa's Slay, the Evil Santa. lol It's historical. lol I think we've seen some pieces of Jack Frost too (not the creature shop one, the horror movie of the killer snowman) lol And we've seen Poultrygiest: Night of The Chicken Dead a couple of times. So corny, gotta love Troma. lol :stick_out_tongue:

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I wanted to be the first person to post this........

Happy early but somewhat on the way Halloween!:batty::scary:
I LOVE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!! :flirt: My favorite Halloween/Christmas movie! Well...there's one you gotta love about this movie. It's about Halloween AND Christmas....and both holidays aren't even two months away from each other.

Anyways I love Halloween! Last year I went to my friend's Halloween party (Even though, I was the only who really dressed up.....); the year before I went Trick or Treating with a few other friends of mine on her street and watched a marathon of "The Addams Family". I really wanna convince my friend to have a costume party this year. :fanatic:

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I LOVE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!! :flirt: My favorite Halloween/Christmas movie! Well...there's one you gotta love about this movie. It's about Halloween AND Christmas....and both holidays aren't even two months away from each other.

Anyways I love Halloween! Last year I went to my friend's Halloween party (Even though, I was the only who really dressed up.....); the year before I went Trick or Treating with a few other friends of mine on her street and watched a marathon of "The Addams Family". I really wanna convince my friend to have a costume party this year. :fanatic:
I've been getting more and more into The Addams Family myself. Specifically the 2 1990s movies and the original Charles Addams comics. I've always had a dark irreverent since of humor so when I sat down watching the grim jokes in the movie, I'm laughing at every gag like crazy for a solid 2 minutes straight. lol One of my favorite scenes is when the family is looking for something to donate to a charity auction and the wife (Morticha I think her name is) goes with Lurch and they open a cabenate and pull out body bags and she reads the tags "Uncle Nicknack's Spring Wardrobe, Uncle Nicknack's Winter Wardrobe, Uncle Nicknack." lol :stick_out_tongue:
I watched half of the first episode of The Addams Family TV series from the 60s and even though it was funny, to me it was more light and not as morbid or dark as the 1990s. And the daughter Wendesday in the 1990s movie is so brilliant for a kid but her in the first season of the 1960s, it's one of those "Kids say the darnest things" situation. Like Sherly Temple with a wig but the actress in the 1990s movie, CREEPY AND BRILLIANT FOR HER AGE BACK THEN. lol

Speaking of Halloween / Christmas movies, my fav has to be Gremlins in that genre. It's clearly a Christmas movie gone completely wrong. As as much as everyone loves cute little Gizmo, perhaps I'm the devil's avacate on this one but I always enjoyed Stripe and the Evil Gremlins because they are just funny. lol They are evil, but funny. And it stops being a horror movie and turns into the classic 40s Warner Bros Slapstick Screwball Cartoon humor and slight parodies of Maniac from Footloose to Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs. lol I just ordered Gremlins 2, I haven't seen that one in ages. That's when the evil Gremlins become more Hand and Rob puppets and interrupt the movie trying to shoot John Wayne in a Western movie. lol And the intellectual Gremlins cracks me up when he shocks Grandpa Munster from The Munsters (he's in the movie, plus if you see the first one, Chuck Jones of Looney Tunes fame makes a cameo near the begaining in the first bar scene "Yep, the bat never looked better" was his line. lol). "Well we just want civilization." Let me share this clip, I love it. lol