Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Always promising, lol.
That's Adaption Displacement for you.

It's not that I hate light TMNT, but why must everyone make a fuss about it being dark? It's not like they weren't in the original comics... they used the Triceriton leader as a human shield, and he died... they killed Shredder by chopping his head off. Not really the same kid friendly Pizza eating action figures 80's kids obsess over. Never in their original incarnation, even though it was technically a parody that first time. Seriously, even Ripoffs of TMNT existed before the cartoon series. NO ONE respects the comics. And that's a real shame too. They're much better than any version of the Turtles. I wish someone would adapt the original closely in a DTV like they do with the DC universe.

But really... Batman can go from being on Super Friends to a Chris Nolan movie to Frank Miller's G.D. Batman, and no one bats an eye. Frog forbid the Turtles don't say Cowabunga.

Collgoff

Reaction score
I saw the first episode, and I have to say, pretty good so far. This is certainly lighter than 2k3. I can't really comment on young April, since all she did was get kidnapped. I'm really liking Rob Paulsen as Donatello... Mikey acts and sounds like Beast Boy. The show has a Teen Titans vibe to it.

They're going with the Splinter was Hamato Yoshi story, but the origin's a little different. He bought the turtles, and the (I'm guessing) Utroms were the ones that dropped the mutagen on
them when they got into a scuffle with Yoshi.

Do you think the turtles will find Yoshi's daughter and reunited with him?
I been having funny thoughts around my head and somehow Knew this orgin going to happen.

Hayley B

Reaction score
I've just been laughing when Drtooth said that Mikey is like Beast Boy. He does behave like him.

DramaQueenMokey

Reaction score
I really liked the first two episodes of this new series, I felt it had a nice balance to it. Plenty of humor and a nice air of mystery what with the turtles never having been to the surface before :smile: Though, I'll miss the word 'topside' as a way to refer to the world above ground (as TMNT 2k3 was my absolute favorite TMNT series).

I'm really into voice acting, and I've spoken to several people who didn't like the voices, but, I really enjoyed them and I felt that the actual acting part of the voice acting was amazing! Leo's and Raph's voices fit well to me, they just fit well and I don't know much about their VAs to elaborate much. I really liked how geeky Rob Paulsen made Don sound! It was really on point and it showed how versatile Mr. Paulsen is ^^ (I didn't hear any of 80s Raph XD) , I felt like Mikey's voice was great, it's not as high-pitched as Beast Boy's thankfully because as much as I love Greg Cipes, I REALLY hated Beast Boy in Teen Titans. Mikey kind of sounds like a mix of Beast Boy and Caleb (they guy on the Disney series W.I.T.C.H) who Greg Cipes also provided the voice for, but, thankfully I can hear more of Caleb in Mikey and less of Beast Boy.

Another thing I really liked was the fighting, actual fighting! And even though it was semi-off screen and that the guy was robot, think about it: Michelangelo STILL slashed a dude across the face with the little blade in his nunchuck! And then there was that guy Snake that I thought the turtles killed twice! Because, really, they left him for dead the second time (which I have no problem with XD)

Leonardo has always been my favorite turtle, but, I think Raphael is my favorite 2k12 turtle because of his sarcasm, his constant questioning of Leo and the way he goes about it, it's different because now Leo isn't as sure of himself as his other incarnations and therefore, the questioning gets to Leo which makes Raph feel like he has more power! Another reason Raph is becoming my favorite is the fact that his pet turtle show's that even a tough guy has a sensitive side -insert aww-

Speaking of Leo not being sure of himself all the time, I really like that. It hints at the fact that maybe he'll fail really soon and harden up into a much more serious type, which could lead to some stories.

Now for what I didn't like:
-Raph's green eyes...I just don't like them...They're supposed to be yellow and I can't say I liked blue-eyed Leo either, but, I'll get over that

-How much Don is into April...I mean, I just feel like he's set up to fail and hopefully, Don and April don't become Don/April in this show....Where's Casey already?

Other than that, I'm excited to see where this series is going!

Hayley B

Reaction score
This is actually the 2nd time I heard that the TMNT comic was really violent. The 1st is when the ladies from TMZ brought it up. They also burnt Shredder's body so he wouldn't return?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll be frank. I don't have an issue with a show being dark. I have an issue with a show thinking it's dark when it's not. :wink:
2k3 is pretty light compared to the comics. Especially Zuli... even the comics were light compared to stories by Zuli. But then again, I went through the entire series start to finish, and when it gets really dark, it gets real. Characters die quite a bit, and Baxter Stockman slowly becomes a suicidal abomination at the hands of Shredder's gigantic henchman Hun. You probably gave up early in the show... but trust me... it got really good the later it went on.

But when they made Fast Forwards light? They failed. It was pretty much unwatchable the first part of the series, the characters became Flanderized... Raph turned into Oscar the Grouch/Grouchy Smurf saying "I hate the Future" at least once an episode... To me TMNT 2k3 ended at the end of the "lost" season, where everything tied up nicely.

I've just been laughing when Drtooth said that Mikey is like Beast Boy. He does behave like him.
Dude... it's the same voice actor.

Another thing I really liked was the fighting, actual fighting! And even though it was semi-off screen and that the guy was robot, think about it: Michelangelo STILL slashed a dude across the face with the little blade in his nunchuck! And then there was that guy Snake that I thought the turtles killed twice! Because, really, they left him for dead the second time (which I have no problem with XD)

Leonardo has always been my favorite turtle, but, I think Raphael is my favorite 2k12 turtle because of his sarcasm, his constant questioning of Leo and the way he goes about it, it's different because now Leo isn't as sure of himself as his other incarnations and therefore, the questioning gets to Leo which makes Raph feel like he has more power! Another reason Raph is becoming my favorite is the fact that his pet turtle show's that even a tough guy has a sensitive side -insert aww-

Speaking of Leo not being sure of himself all the time, I really like that. It hints at the fact that maybe he'll fail really soon and harden up into a much more serious type, which could lead to some stories.
I've noticed the Turtles are more like Teenagers than ever before in this series. Somehow, they always felt like 20 year olds in both 87 and 2k3. Leo seems to be less the complete straight man of the group, and I like his obsession with the Filmation Star Trek expy. It seems to characterize him as less stern. Hopefully it won't be a complete obsession like they Flanderized Splinter into becoming a Soap junky like in Fast Forward.

The fighting really looks good in this series. CGI does that justice. I especially liked Raph's signature move of locking someone's arm into his sai blade and flipping them.

Hayley B

Reaction score
Dude... it's the same voice actor.
I was thinking just the behavior was the same. Didn't really try to memorize the voice. It's been a while since I watched Teen Titans. But that's good to know.
----

I was kind of hoping this was where the girls talked about the comic. Particularly the curly hair girl said something about it, onetime. This is just about the Michael Baine idea.

Hayley B

Reaction score
^ Michael Bay, sorry. It's not letting me edit because of the video. :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was thinking just the behavior was the same. Didn't really try to memorize the voice. It's been a while since I watched Teen Titans. But that's good to know.
I had to stop watching halfway through the episode to look it up. Even in the previews I was getting strong Beast Boy vibes from Mikey.

But then again, the show overall seems to be inspired by Teen Titans... those little bouts of anime double takes, especially.