The Chipmunks

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah see that's one where I personally don't see it, but there's nothing technically wrong with it so I'll let it go.
Neither do I, but I mean, SERIOUSLY, you'll have a BUNCH of people from the mixed camp JUMPING DOWN YOUR THROAT just for SAYING that, and some of them will go into long-winded discussions as to why they should be together, etc.

Now, admittedly, I did once enjoy an Alvin and Jeanette fanfic which was interesting, and I know it was mostly written because the author's favorite Chipmunk was Alvin and favorite Chipette was Jeanette, plus it was also interesting to see how Simon and Brittany were trying to scheme their way back into their respective counterparts' hearts.

Of all the mixed pairings though, the one I DON'T understand at all, but was also a popular phase at one point: Simon and Brittany. Now, MAYBE, Simon might find Brittany attractive on the outside, but would probably be turned off by her attitude and diva personality on the inside, meanwhile Brittany wouldn't be caught dead dating a nerd, so I don't get it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of all the mixed pairings though, the one I DON'T understand at all, but was also a popular phase at one point: Simon and Brittany.
Sounds like wishful thinking. From Simon's side, lol.

Though I could see the humor in that if Brittany was interested and Simon just wanted to be alone to study, lol.

TheWoodringman

Reaction score
Oh yeah, Brimon (Brittany and Simon)...
Anyway, the only canon couple that I like is Theodore and Eleanor.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like Theodore and Eleanor too, but I am the original Simanette Fan (coined the name myself).

TheWoodringman

Reaction score
Ahh, I see.
I mean, I sort of like Simon and Jeanette, but the only one I know that I like for sure is Theonor (Theodore and Eleanor)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I could care less about the couples anymore in general, the drama that's unfolded in the fandom between the canon and mixed shippers kind of killed it for me.

Interestingly enough, I remember reading a review of the series overall, saying that they felt the comparison of the 60s and the 80s series was like comparing a music comedy and a romantic comedy.

TheWoodringman

Reaction score
Oh yeah.
Actually, I'm not that much into the couples either, there can be drama about them (Watch out for the people who say that there are couples in "Arthur." EX: Arthur and Francine) but anyway...The fandom can say what they want about the couples, but THEY AREN'T ANYTHING TO GET SO WORKED UP OVER!
Geez, there JUST ANIMATED!
You can think that they're real IN YOUR HEAD...

Drtooth

Reaction score
As I've said before, the 80s series went through a few different incarnations itself during its eight-year run: the first five seasons were produced by Ruby-Spears and were some of the better episodes, IMO... granted, the animation improved over that time, but it's clear more effort was put into the overall animation during these seasons, more detail was added into the backgrounds and layouts, the music score was enjoyable, and the stories were stronger. The character designs took a while to get worked out though.
I liked how the Ruby Spears episodes contained voice actors that were on other RS shows at the time... Peter Cullen, for example. Plus, I just really like the background music the RS series had. Every series after had some very 90's synth music to it, but the RS ones sounded orchestrated. And I like their background music in general... check out this opening to their Plastic Man cartoon.

I swear, I just got the DVD of that series... can't put it down.

The first half of Season Six was produced by Fred Wolf Films, and were pretty decent (I know Drtooth hates that "Cadet's Regrets" episode though), the overall animation was pretty good, but the layouts and design were more simplistic, and the voice cast was reduced to Ross and Janice and their associate producer who did terrible voices, and the music score was rather annoying. The rest of the episodes were produced by DiC and were not very good: lots of off-model, inconsistent animation, further cheapening of the series, lot more simplistic designs and layouts, more annoying music score, etc. And the stories were pretty weak by that point too.
I can't remember if I did indeed hate Cadets Regrets (I probably mentuioned that a while back) but I HATED the fact the episode skipped on my DVD player and I had to return it. Now that I recall, I don't think it was even worth bothering, and I wish they just had 2 more RS episodes.

I did also buy SOME of the compilation DVD (namely The ALVINNN!!! Edition, The Best of The Chipettes, and the holiday specials), but I REALLY wish Bagdasarian Productions would release season sets on DVD already, even if they have to replace songs (which is tolerable), because they literally have been re-releasing the exact same compilations over and over and over again for years.
I kinda would more want the 50's series. I'm sure someone has good enough quality masters if they look hard enough. If nothing else, I wanna see those great Clyde Crashcup cartoons again. He's such an underrated character that only got respect in the modern era via Back to Alvin's Future. They even CUT his entire scene when they broadcast the Christmas special.

But the maddening thing is this.. they're not just re-releasing the same compilations that were already out for years. They're re-releasing the same compilations that were already out for years with one maddening unreleased episode per disk! Meaning if you bought them all, you'd have to double dip for one episode! Thankfully all I have is the Christmas one and the ALLLVVVIIIINNN thing, but I still have no real desire to spend 10 bucks on 3 half hours at most.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't remember if I did indeed hate Cadets Regrets (I probably mentuioned that a while back) but I HATED the fact the episode skipped on my DVD player and I had to return it.
I seem to recall you mentioning that you didn't particularly care for it.

It's not a favorite of mine either, but there's something about the episode I don't quite understand... that whole thing about the stolen classified photos and enemy agents and everything... was all that for real? I mean, was that a real, "international crisis" that was going on, or was it like war games that were being taken way too seriously? I never could figure it out, because like half of those enemy agents spoke in some kind of foreign-sounding accent, while the others spoke in no accent... and where would this summer camp be if it's close enough to an enemy camp anyway?

But anyway, I know I've mentioned this before, but has anyone else noticed that on the DVDs, none of the RS episodes retain the respective RS logo, yet most of the DiC episodes do still retain the DiC logos? Seems like there's just a couple of episodes or so that simply extended the Bagdasarian Productions logo over when the DiC logo would be seen.

And it just now occured to me, but Ross and Janice must be at some kind of peace, because I haven't heard of any kind of new lawsuit in quite a while, and it seems like for a while there, they were suing some other party like every other month.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The fandom can say what they want about the couples, but THEY AREN'T ANYTHING TO GET SO WORKED UP OVER! Geez, there JUST ANIMATED! You can think that they're real IN YOUR HEAD...
Yeah really, some people just tend to take these things as personal attacks on their intelligence or something.