Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 43

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know one of the experts decrying Baby Einstein said it would be better for kids that young to have more grown up shows on the TV, like Dancing with the Stars, simply because it's less stimulation overload. Like I've been saying for years, there's nothing wrong with showing kids more grown up shows. And as it turns out, it's a heck of a lot more useful than Baby Einstein nonsense.
It's that medicine wagon stuff that bothers me. Elmo's World was partially because research said that kids got bored watching an hour long show 15 minutes from the end for some reason and because the Elmo toy craze hit just before that. Baby Einstein and Your Baby Can Read was made to sucker suburbanite parents into thinking their kid will be a classically trained fine musician and neurosurgeon going into preschool. I'm pretty sure SW didn't realize that EW would play to that crowd, but it did. And now that crowd desperately wants it back, even though, among other things, they've completely ran out of subjects and didn't really care enough to make more than one segment in 2 years... and it was a hold over from a year before that.

As much as I hate to admit it, the problem was the cold turkey switch to ETM. I'm glad they did it, I think it was the right thing to do personally... but now I'm not too sure. They should have had EW alternate with ETM for just this season (cutting to ETM only next season). If nothing else, we have 10 ETMs in 26 episodes. That's 4 episodes shy of showing them all 3 times. I'm sure ETM will sink in by the season finale, though. Hopefully it stays as EW's permanent replacement.

Plus, it kinda sucks that SW is afraid of using anything (except occasionally) before the HD/Widescreen shift, while they had no problem with non-HD/full frame EW's. That seems just like a double standard. If they're somehow stuck with EW, the least they can do is throw in the occasional timeless sketch.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And now that crowd desperately wants it back
They're also probably worrying that their kids will throw hissy fits without an Elmo's World fix. Which wouldn't have happened if they had broaden their children's outlook a bit more in the first place, heh.

Hopefully it stays as EW's permanent replacement.
I was with Jon Stone on this matter. If the audience doesn't want it, they don't deserve it. But of course that's not how TV works, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're also probably worrying that their kids will throw hissy fits without an Elmo's World fix. Which wouldn't have happened if they had broaden their children's outlook a bit more in the first place, heh.
Kids young enough won't notice a difference, and kids that are old enough to want it back are basically on the verge of being off the demographic anyway. They replaced an Elmo segment with an Elmo segment, I don't see why kids should be upset (unless they know they lost a whole 4 minutes of Elmo-time...shhhhhhhh!). It seems the parents are more annoyed than the children, and their motive is "we want our kids to have structure." I still don't get that. Structure and routine are what people our age dread. That's something you have to deal with more the older you get. Kids need spontaneity because kids can handle it. They also need to learn that things in life that are unexpected. EW was insanely formulaic to the minute.

Not to mention, as I've always said, EW becomes its own separate portion of the show. While that expresses what the show is like now, being made up of separate segments, they all have a continuous link in age focus. EW plays to the 2 year olds the show attracted by having EW, and it was dragging the rest of the show down with it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It seems the parents are more annoyed than the children, and their motive is "we want our kids to have structure." I still don't get that.
The fad now is for parents to complain about how values and education have gone down the tubes.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
It kinda sucks that SW is afraid of using anything (except occasionally) before the HD/Widescreen shift, while they had no problem with non-HD/full frame EW's. That seems just like a double standard. If they're somehow stuck with EW, the least they can do is throw in the occasional timeless sketch.
I don't know what you're talking about. Last season, they showed the bit with the Twiddlebugs and the paperclip. And the season before that, they've shown I Gotta Be Clean. Plus, they've shown plenty of Ernie and Bert bits from the pre-HD era. Also, ever since I got an HDTV, the new episodes of SS have become much more watchable, cause now, I can see the whole image with no characters, letters or numbers getting cut off.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't know what you're talking about. Last season, they showed the bit with the Twiddlebugs and the paperclip. And the season before that, they've shown I Gotta Be Clean. Plus, they've shown plenty of Ernie and Bert bits from the pre-HD era. Also, ever since I got an HDTV, the new episodes of SS have become much more watchable, cause now, I can see the whole image with no characters, letters or numbers getting cut off.
Well, he means not ENOUGH material is shown. Why play True Mud and "Measure, Yeah, Measure" twice in one season when you could easily replace it with something else? The Birdwalk Empire bit is airing twice this season, which is again ridiculous. They have plenty of material they can play, especially full-frame stuff, but they stick to repeating the same HD stuff. That's his point.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Well, he means not ENOUGH material is shown. Why play True Mud and "Measure, Yeah, Measure" twice in one season when you could easily replace it with something else? The Birdwalk Empire bit is airing twice this season, which is again ridiculous. They have plenty of material they can play, especially full-frame stuff, but they stick to repeating the same HD stuff. That's his point.
That is a good point.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
If I had to pick my favorite ETM song thus far, I'd say the "Athletes, Athletes" song at the begging of Athlete the Musical. It's just really funky and catchy and the vocals are great. The theme song is great as well.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Fav episode is the pizza and athlete cant pick so far but fav songs are the theme and how you play the game pizza box dance and number 10 pizza