People Who've Remade Their Own Work

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not to sound jaded, but money is pretty much always in the picture somewhere. That doesn't make them all bad people, that's just the way the business goes.

A little bit of both, but he's pretty much out of it and in his own little world. The sad thing is, other people have proven that the problem is indeed him, as everyone who touches the Star Wars franchise at this point (even Lego) has done a better job than the last 3 movies. Even Detours looks better.

Well, in the case of Mahna Mahna, is that really so much remaking it as it is trying it out for different productions?

Yes and no... seems that he hit the perfect version when it hit The Muppet Show. Meanwhile, the Sesame Street one is boring by comparison.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Frankenweenie remake? How does it compare to the original? Based on the previews and trailers, it almost looks a far more complex production with a lot more secondary characters making up the cast.

Ignatz

Reaction score
I think it can be part that they are not completely happy with how the original worked it either because of executive meddling, low funds or inexperience. Even Alfred Hitchcock did it, remaking his 1934 film The Man Who Knew Too Much in 1956 with James Stewert and Doris Day (the film which brought us 'Que Sera, Sera'). He said this about the two films "Let's say the first version is the work of a talented amateur and the second was made by a professional".

Drtooth

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Frankenweenie remake? How does it compare to the original? Based on the previews and trailers, it almost looks a far more complex production with a lot more secondary characters making up the cast.
I'm going to have to wait on it... but I just cannot resist stop motion animation in any form. Three stop motion films in a year, in an industry dominated by CGI. That's one of the best things that's ever happened in a long time.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Even Alfred Hitchcock did it, remaking his 1934 film The Man Who Knew Too Much in 1956 with James Stewert and Doris Day (the film which brought us 'Que Sera, Sera'). He said this about the two films "Let's say the first version is the work of a talented amateur and the second was made by a professional".
Definitely agree that the remake is more polished and professional. But the original has Peter Lorre, can't beat that! :wink:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------
"Evil Dead II" is basically a remake with a better budget (and some new, clever gags) of the original, by the same crowd as the first (Raimi, Tapert, Campbell, etc). I don't mind stuff like that. I didn't see the original "Frankenweenie" but the new version looks wonderful, best I can tell (won't be able to see until it comes out on dvd...yo tengo no dinero).

I honestly can't think of anything I'd like to see remade at all. The things I like, I tend to like for their originality as much as anything else. Wouldn't change that for the world.
------------

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've got the original FW on tape somewhere... I KNOW I have to have it somewhere, because I believe it's also on one of my old Classic SST tapes...

It's a pretty good and clever little twist on the classic Frankenstein story, and it features a VERY young, clean-shaven, almost unrecognizable Danny Stern. XD

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't mind stuff like that. I didn't see the original "Frankenweenie" but the new version looks wonderful, best I can tell (won't be able to see until it comes out on dvd...yo tengo no dinero).
If Sgtfloyd didn't post it, Frankenweenie is usually on special edition Nightmare Before Christmas DVD's. I saw it once, and I remember enjoying it on the small budget parody B-movie student film level, but the new movie looks much more interesting and engaging being stop motion. Seriously... I'll watch Bob the Builder's older episodes with great delight. I have that much a stop motion bias. It's harder than it looks, and it looks impossible. I've tried it. After accidentally moving the table the 20th time after starting over after 2 frames of animation, you get a greater appreciation for those things.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I remember that movie! I did enjoy it back in the day, I'm a sucker for dog stories, lol.