Dealing with depression and anxiety

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------
Ran into a depressing situation today. I have a new client, a 90 yr old woman with Parkinson's who lost her husband earlier this year and moved into an assisted living community. It's a nice place, with plenty of activities, concerts, outings, etc but she hasn't made any real friends yet. She has adult kids who care about her and visit as often as they can. Today, though, she told me she didn't see the point in still living; her disease makes her sometimes need help just standing up or eating, she is largely blind, and of course missing her partner. Since I honestly would have killed myself long before in her situation I wasn't sure what to say. I did try to reassure her and drew her into some stories about her misspent youth which finally got her to laugh...but that's momentary.

Anyone have any suggestions what else to say to her? I'm only with this client Fri mornings and a couple of short evenings during the week. I've offered to bring books to read aloud to her (I do have a very good reading voice) but that still leaves chunks of her day when she's alone, at least until next month when her daughter comes to stay the winter. I feel sorry for her but I'm not a very good counselor in this instance.
------------------

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Now, obligatory disclaimer, I'm a rehab RN, but do they have rehab services? They might be able to help her regain some strength and stability. She need not just crumble and fall over. Some adaptive devices like weighted thick-handled eating utensils and lipped bowls and stuff are available for those with poor coordination. I can find some stuff on the net if you need it.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
Now, obligatory disclaimer, I'm a rehab RN, but do they have rehab services? They might be able to help her regain some strength and stability. She need not just crumble and fall over. Some adaptive devices like weighted thick-handled eating utensils and lipped bowls and stuff are available for those with poor coordination. I can find some stuff on the net if you need it.
Not a bad idea. She does use a sippy cup but the other things would be helpful. Lots of good medical supply places in Retirement City here; will pass that along. Thank you! I just need to think of ways to keep her mind engaged. Having never lost a partner that way I can sympathize, but not empathize truly. Have already asked my office to talk to her family (I'm not supposed to directly deal with them) about counseling.
--------------

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
You know as I'm reading through a lot of these posts and even read the very first post by Charlie that started this thread I have to say some of them almost moved me to tears. I commend you all for having the courage to talk about what your going through in life. That takes a lot of guts and I'm sure for some of you it was very hard.

As silly as I am on this forum I also have had my own struggles and hard times in life. And I'm really trying to gather the courage to talk about them on here but I'm still having a difficult time being so open when I am an extremely private person. But I know that I WANT to because I feel like even though I've only been here a few months I've made friends here that I hope will last as as long as I'm a member here. Some of you are better friends then my own "real" life friends. Anyways...just wanna say love you guys and I'm also here if anyone needs to talk. Just inbox me. :smile:

jgidley

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm the only person on here with Asperger's Syndrome, but I was diagnosed with it when I was about 10. I've been taking Zoloft every day for the past 3 years or so. When it was first discovered I had Asperger's, my anxiety issues were through the roof. I worried about every little thing, ESPECIALLY the fire alarm at school. If there's anything that gives me the heebie jeebies more, it's that stupid fire alarm. The Zoloft as well as counseling every 3 months or so has really worked out for me. I don't think I ever contemplated suicide long term, only here and there when something embarrassing happens in school(which occurs a lot, especially with the popular girls for some reason, I don't even talk to them, yet they continue to nitpick me). After 4 years, the only anxiety issue I have is still that dang fire alarm. It's not as severe, though. I'm reminded a few hours or even a few days ahead of when our next drill is. Right now, though, my anxiety is in science class. My teacher went on maternity leave after the first 2 weeks, and now we have a sub(another one of my pet peeves for some reason) who is boring and absolutely can not keep our class under control. If you ask me, that's not a good combo. Out of all of my subjects in school, science is definitely the hardest. When do we have to know it in life after this? Anyway, my big unit test is on Friday, which I'm obviously going to fail because of the fact that my head is literally spinning when every single person in the room is talking and I can't pay attention and my teacher is boring and doesn't have control of the class and...AAAAA! Anyway, thank you all for listening. You guys are the best.

jgidley, AKA John

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yeah, my anxiety level's gotten higher up since today. I have midterms coming up later in the week, and sadly they're for classes I'm just not getting. Not a big fan of the teaching methods. I get a feel that I'm not learning anything.

jgidley

Reaction score
Yeah, my anxiety level's gotten higher up since today. I have midterms coming up later in the week, and sadly they're for classes I'm just not getting. Not a big fan of the teaching methods. I get a feel that I'm not learning anything.
I feel the same way too, Mo. I don't have midterms until January, though. I do well in basically every subject except for stupid Science. Again, when do we have to know about it in life?:grouchy: