Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
According to my textbook, Autism is not considered a Learning Disabiliy

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Yes, Dyslexia falls under a Specific Learning Disability

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Heh, someone actually asked me not too long ago how is Steve able to read if he has dyslexia (as mentioned in one of my very first YT vids), to which, I danced around the question by simply saying it's a retcon. And anymore, it pretty much is, it just depends on what the situation calls for.

But I digress, dyslexia is one of those that apparently is cause for controversy, in that some feel it shouldn't be classified as an actual disability, even though it is.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
People with Dyslexia can read with enough practice :/

One of my professors has dyslexia and if he didn't tell us he had it, I would never have guessed considering how much he writes on the board and reads out loud

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think like with other things, such as allergies or something, perhaps dyslexia can either range from being mild to severe... for example, an old school friend of mine could read and write like your average joe, but admitted that occasionally, through his eyes, it looks as if certain letters in certain words flip-flip as he reads, so when you have a sentence like, "I have a pair of pears", it may end up looking like, "I have a piar of paers" to him.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Exactly, there's a spectrum. It's not as simple as "they can't read."

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But I digress, dyslexia is one of those that apparently is cause for controversy, in that some feel it shouldn't be classified as an actual disability, even though it is.
People just don't like the stigma of being called "disabled." It sounds negative. And I guess they would argue that if the world was more accommodating it wouldn't have to be a disability.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
People with Dyslexia can read with enough practice :/

One of my professors has dyslexia and if he didn't tell us he had it, I would never have guessed considering how much he writes on the board and reads out loud
I had a Spanish teacher in H.S. that had dyslexia-- she used to say she preferred Spanish because so much of it is phonetic compared to English.