"Peanuts" movie in development for November 2015 release

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought Charles Schultz didn't want anyone to touch the Peanuts? While he was alive he didn't want anyones ideas but his own. Because it didn't feel like it was his anymore if he did. He wanted the same after he died.

But it's like why not. They will become forgettable if you don't air or think of them once the next generation comes around. They had it stapled in their minds that "people still know who Popeye is". But it's like nower days Popeye cartoons don't get aired anymore as to back then. So him and anything can be forgettable in time.
I'm surprised there are loopholes. I guess the not letting anyone touch his work only meant he didn't want anyone to forge the comic strip (something that happened to most comic strips over time, the quality lags... but then again, that usually happens when the same guy still does it) or to make television specials that weren't based on his previous works. Boom's comic books have new stories with some Sunday Strips reprinted, and they're of pretty high quality and only available in volumes of 4. I just wonder what that could mean for a movie. Will they manage to make a new story line, or will it be based on months of strips, like Happiness is a Warm Puppy was.

As for Popeye, at least he's having his own comeback. He's still beloved by classic animation fans and all, but he doesn't have anything near the exposure he used to have. No syndicated programing blocks of old Popeye cartoons for example. But Roger Langridge's IDW published comic is great... almost a Thimble Theater forgery with rare examples of references (and even then, the only references were to Tintin and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, fleeting ones at that)... and even respects to very obscure Thimble Theater characters like O.G. Whattaschnozzle in back up comics. I wish they'd take a cue from Langridge and go full on classic Popeye. Thimble Theater strips were the best.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Oh no I mean not to be as bad as the terrible Live-Action Scooby Doo movie. I love the Peanuts too, and I also love Scooby Doo in his original form. That Scooby Doo movie is pure garbage in my opinion. Scrappy would never be a villian. I know some people dislike him, but I don't. And Shaggy would never sacrfice his friends out of cowardice. I'm glad the Nostalgia Critic reviewed it before he retired.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Oh no I mean not to be as bad as the terrible Live-Action Scooby Doo movie. I love the Peanuts too, and I also love Scooby Doo in his original form. That Scooby Doo movie is pure garbage in my opinion. Scrappy would never be a villian. I know some people dislike him, but I don't. And Shaggy would never sacrfice his friends out of cowardice. I'm glad the Nostalgia Critic reviewed it before he retired.
That's true! Sure Scrappy is not as smart as Scooby-Doo, but he IS not a villian. Shaggy likes his friends, not scrafice them. Also, I loved it in cartoon form when I was a kid.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Right! Shaggy actually suggested "Let the monster eat Fred and Velma." He'd never say that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The whole Scrappy being evil thing dates a little ways back before those movies... Cartoon Network seemed to like toying with the idea that Scrappy was so greatly an oppressed character, that he was on the verge of snapping... I even remember that particular little promo where he's like working like a watch dog/pup whatever outside the Cartoon Network headquarters, and basically goes off those who cross his path that day, even to the point of making Dexter cry. Finally, after the announcer announces, "Cartoon Network: home of the cartoon stars", to which Scrappy chimes in, "But not for ME! NOT FOR ME, MAN!!!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Scooby -Doo movie suffered the Brady bunch effect. They were spending 90 minutes to make jokes about the original cartoon. I don't think this will be the case at all. The Schulz estate has very big veto power, and I'd imagine whoever writes this will be under heavy scrutiny to keep the characters' integrity. And if somehow the writer doesn't, we'll see the Schulz estate ban any other movies from ever happening.