"Crash and Bernstein" puppet show debuts on Disney XD

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I'm watching an episode online

1. Why are people convinced Crash looks like Walter? I hate to say it but I think this just enforces my opinion that Walter is very generic looking and looks like every other humanoid puppet that anyone can make. Walter, in my opinion, just doesn't look very muppety. The fact an unrelated company made a puppet that looks like Walter should say something about WALTER'S design, not Crash

2. People need to stop complaining about arm rods. Yes, they are thicker than they really need to be, but come on. No one complains about arm rods in the Muppet Show. I don't care if your argument is "they aren't as noticeable," its a terrible argument.

3. I believe that many of you are not giving this show the proper chance. Everyone has it in their heads that Disney sucks and Disney is evil. Just be happy that they are trying to do something other than Teen Pop Star. I'm not saying everyone needs to love the show, I'm saying try to put your bias against Disney aside.

4. my own opinion on the show? The two main characters are somewhat enjoyable, but the mother and especially the daughter need to go. The daughter is just...ugh. I would say that they could tone down on the "tude" a bit. The writing does seem to have that ADHD "everything is happening at once" thing that Fish Hooks has. it can make the show kinda hard to keep up with...I would not call the show bad, but it could use improvement.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I thought the second episode was better than the first to be honest. Again my kids are really enjoying this show...and I for one am happy to see disney trying something with a puppet rather than computer animation. My kids of course are hoping the Disney store comes out with Crash toys.....I'm not sure if I'd want that. I think one thing they are trying to do is create a Disney sitcom geared towards boys (though I think they have others that I have not seen). I do agree on the points about the daughters being kind of annoying. In classic sitcom fashion it seems there will be a B story. The problem is when the A story is Crash and the B story is those daughters it really seems to slow the momentum of the show...and the oldest daughter's voice is a tad annoying.

Drtooth

Reaction score
1. Why are people convinced Crash looks like Walter? I hate to say it but I think this just enforces my opinion that Walter is very generic looking and looks like every other humanoid puppet that anyone can make. Walter, in my opinion, just doesn't look very muppety. The fact an unrelated company made a puppet that looks like Walter should say something about WALTER'S design, not Crash
Walter has a very Sesame Street look to him. He is Muppety, just not Muppet show Muppety... but then again, neither is Mary Louise. Crash is similar to Walter, but looks a lot more like a Sesame Street AM than Walter does. I really like the look of Crash as a puppet.

Again my kids are really enjoying this show...and I for one am happy to see disney trying something with a puppet rather than computer animation. My kids of course are hoping the Disney store comes out with Crash toys.....I'm not sure if I'd want that.
Disney, especially the Disney Store, is iffy when it comes to releasing TV show merchandise. At least, as of late. They have a LOT of Phineas and Ferb stuff now (though it took them years to have a PVC set), but they completely ignored Replacements and Emperor's New School when they were around. I can't remember if Kim Possible got anything. Even when they had the Disney One Saturday Morning, there wasn't much. A set of Doug Bean Bags, a large plush Pepper Ann, and Gus and Gretchen from Recess. Not even T.J., and he's the leader. I'm REALLY hoping to see Gravity Falls stuff hit the store in time. I wanna Grunkle Stan bean bag. Or bobblehead. or T-shirt or something.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Good point....some of the older shows like recess and kim possible did get toys released at other stores if I recall..... but they were also played on ABC....I remember watching recess on Saturday mornings the first year I started teaching (seems like an eternity ago)...wow some of those shows were classics compared to what is out today...though I love phineas and Ferb..and a little upset that I missed out on the figurine set as my local DIsney store is sold out :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
They'll probably get more in. When I got my Muppet set, it was one of the last 3. A month later, they had over a dozen.

But I only see Crash toys if the series really takes off. I've noticed they stopped marketing their live action shows. I guess they were hurting when no one was buying Jonahs Bros. and Hanna Montana stuff after a while.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I've seen some things for shake it up....but it took awhile from release...which makes sense...they want to make sure the show is enough of a hit before they put their faith in merchandise I suppose.....To be honest I don't see Crash doing well enough for them to justify merchandise anytime soo....I notice that my students like it a great deal...but they are a tad biased with their teacher being a puppeteer and having Muppet posters etc; hanging up in the classroom...so I think they are more interested because they are more curious about puppetry/muppets than the average 5th grader.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I saw this the other day and it was one of the most random things I have ever seen (even taking into consideration the puppet) I will admit I'm not the biggest fan of Disney shows, just in general. And this show did indeed fit that standard. Were it not for the puppetry aspect I probably wouldn't have given a second glance. Really the only thing I liked were some of the bits with Crash in it.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
To be honest, Crash and Bernstein is probably the best show on Disney XD. Let's not forget, Tim and Paul McGinnis agreed to take part in it, so they must like the scripts and everything like that.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Check out these two interviews where Tim gets to let loose and ad-lib with Crash:
and

Oscarfan

Reaction score
To be honest, Crash and Bernstein is probably the best show on Disney XD. Let's not forget, Tim and Paul McGinnis agreed to take part in it, so they must like the scripts and everything like that.
...or they just swallow their pride like other Disney Channel employees and do it for the money.

I'm sure the two, who are good puppeteers, are glad to be performing on TV regularly, but I have a theory that no one on a Disney sitcom is proud of what they do. I can't imagine any of the ANT Farm writers turning in a script and saying "Now, THIS is what I'll be remembered for!"