Interesting Fraggle Lyrics

Plaid Fraggle

Reaction score
I want to start a thread where we can dissect songs a tad :big_grin: I love picking things apart, even the things I love--it's so fun!! I especially think it's interesting when the lyrics seem to veer from the world-building just a wee bit.

So here goes: in the first "Convincing John" song of the show, CJ talks about a Fraggle turning into a "human bein' through and through!" I think it's notable that he says "human bein'" and not "Silly Creature," especially being that they've got the same number of syllables and seem pretty interchangeable. As far as I can remember, Fraggles have never called "Silly Creatures" humans at any other point, but they got away with it in song!

They also refer to birds in at least a couple songs (Mokey sings about them having a skyway in 'Sunlight and Shadow' and Philo and Gunge talk about a 'boid' in 'Home'), but of course when they actually encounter one, they call it a Baby Tree Creature and not a bird :coy:

There are lots of other lyrics that'd be fun to talk about. Anything you guys have ever noticed?

Hubert

Reaction score
Stuff Samba

I always thought that the line "Every Thomas Dick and hairy-face baboon" is just weird.
Maybe I can give that line some sense here.

As you may or may not know, Tom, Dick and Harry are three names commonly used to refer to different people.

"Just don't go out tellin' my secret to any old Tom, Dick, and Harry who walks in here!"

So in this instance they are playing with that phrase a bit. They say Harry but turn it into an adjective so that it is a joint phrase between both a noun and an adjective. Its more for charm and humor if for anything.

Vincent L

Reaction score
Maybe I can give that line some sense here.

As you may or may not know, Tom, Dick and Harry are three names commonly used to refer to different people.

"Just don't go out tellin' my secret to any old Tom, Dick, and Harry who walks in here!"

So in this instance they are playing with that phrase a bit. They say Harry but turn it into an adjective so that it is a joint phrase between both a noun and an adjective. Its more for charm and humor if for anything.
That makes sense now, thank you!

Princeton

Reaction score
So here goes: in the first "Convincing John" song of the show, CJ talks about a Fraggle turning into a "human bein' through and through!" I think it's notable that he says "human bein'" and not "Silly Creature," especially being that they've got the same number of syllables and seem pretty interchangeable. As far as I can remember, Fraggles have never called "Silly Creatures" humans at any other point, but they got away with it in song!

They also refer to birds in at least a couple songs (Mokey sings about them having a skyway in 'Sunlight and Shadow' and Philo and Gunge talk about a 'boid' in 'Home'), but of course when they actually encounter one, they call it a Baby Tree Creature and not a bird :coy:
Also, in "Keep On Smilin'", Gobo mentions a Grizzly Bear and a Rhinoceros; how does he know what these things are (and by name, no less)?

Slackbot

Reaction score
I've noticed that, when singing, Fraggles mention things that they should have no concepts of. Ice cream cones with zippers (Fraggles don't have freezers or the ability to manufacture zippers), highways, chicken stew, kangaroos, and so on. I just give them a bit of leeway when it comes to lyrics. They're inspired when they sing, and inspiration ain't always logical.

That said, I'm working on a song for a Fraggle fic, and I'm definitely not going to let the character mention things that are outside his experience. I'd feel I was doing a sloppy job if I did.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That said, I'm working on a song for a Fraggle fic, and I'm definitely not going to let the character mention things that are outside his experience. I'd feel I was doing a sloppy job if I did.
On the other hand, to do so would be true to the series. :wink:

Slackbot

Reaction score
On the other hand, to do so would be true to the series. :wink:
I was about to rebut this for this particular character, but... I remember some songs in which he did that. Royal throne, eagle, cowboy... I could excuse the first two as things he might have been exposed to, in concept at least, but a cowboy would be stretching it.

Ah well, I'll still keep it in focus for him 'cause that's my style!

Hubert

Reaction score
You know, the Tom, Dick and Harry thing got me thinking...its something that happens a lot in Fraggle lyrics where they blur different parts of speech and nonsense around and make a great song out of it.