I Miss the Munsters :(

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I love this pilot, super funny. My kind of humor. lol :stick_out_tongue: Though Herman's face looks slightly different.
It's not uncommon for there to be various little changes from pilot to series. I seem to recall in the official series pilot (the one that was basically the rehash of this one, only in black-and-white, and with Yvonne De Carlo and Butch Patrick), Grandpa's nose almost looked more like a witch's nose.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
You know what's so ironic, how Martica Addams and Lily Munster look so very similar. Was there any controversy between the two? They aired around the same time but of course Addams Family came first since they were comics in The New Yorker.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know, but it's been pointed out, even on TV Tropes, that possibly the reason they radically changed Phoebe to Lily was that Phoebe was essentially a clone of Morticia, which I can see... similarities between Morticia and Lily, not so much.

Heh, you know what's funny? I just remembered one episode of the show where they received a visit from a very distant relative who was a werewolf... you talk about cheesy and campy, he actually looked like a guy wearing a werewolf costume, as opposed to clever makeup as with the rest of the cast.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
It's not uncommon for there to be various little changes from pilot to series.
Even season 1 in most TV shows can be kind of primitive but evolve as the seasons go on. The Muppet Show for instance, the main characters like Gonzo, Fozzie, and Miss Piggy. And even one of my favorite shows ever "Spitting Image" series 1, the sketches were kind of long and mostly dialog but as the show continued it got more slapsticky and cartoon visual humor and more irreverent and silly. lol And sometimes shows can become a roller coaster. Look at The Simpsons, they started as primitive shorts on Tracy Ullman (If anyone knows if these shorts or on DVD, please let me know.) Basicly Matt Groening's sketches animated, then they visually evolve, then the show became more satirical and slapsticky from season 3 / 4 between there onto (well in my opinion) 15th season, and then it got more PC, G-rated, etc. But to safely put it, it's just my opinion. But one of the things that I've learned is how esspecially in animation how characters are usually get in stone during the production process, I remember hearing some artists on blogs finding it controversal but I still don't have much of an opinon over it except that I heard that sometimes it's the network or companies doings in terms of speeding up the creative process putting pressure I suppose, then again, I'm not 100'5 sure.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, so, I watched the 4 episode Car 54 Where are You marathon on Me-TV. Now, remember, this show predates The Munsters by some time and has Al Lewis and Fred Gwynne. An episode concerned that Fred's character was too shy and stand offish when it came to women, and the precinct was trying to inflate his self esteem so he could ask the Chief's daughter to the Mardis Gras party. Of course, this gets out of control and they turn him into a Casanova.

To which Al Lewis's character replies "I've created a Frankenstein!"

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Okay, so, I watched the 4 episode Car 54 Where are You marathon on Me-TV. Now, remember, this show predates The Munsters by some time and has Al Lewis and Fred Gwynne. An episode concerned that Fred's character was too shy and stand offish when it came to women, and the precinct was trying to inflate his self esteem so he could ask the Chief's daughter to the Mardis Gras party. Of course, this gets out of control and they turn him into a Casanova.

To which Al Lewis's character replies "I've created a Frankenstein!"
Sorry, I'm a little confused, is this a Munsters' episode? What's Car 54? and Me-TV?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Me-TV is a relatively new (I say relatively because it's been around for quite some time, yet, my cable provider JUST NOW started to offer it) cable and/or satellite channel, basically, it's what TV Land USED to be: all classics, all the time.

I haven't seen Car 54, Where Are You? yet myself, but from what I understand, it's a really early (like 1950s I believe) sitcom, starring pre-Munster Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis as cops.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh, Snowth... I think I know why you like Munsters so much.

The show was created by one of the head writers of the Bullwinkle show. Chris Heyward. Also wrote for MY favorite sitcom, Get Smart.

Hubert

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm a little confused, is this a Munsters' episode? What's Car 54? and Me-TV?
Me-TV is a relatively new (I say relatively because it's been around for quite some time, yet, my cable provider JUST NOW started to offer it) cable and/or satellite channel, basically, it's what TV Land USED to be: all classics, all the time.

I haven't seen Car 54, Where Are You? yet myself, but from what I understand, it's a really early (like 1950s I believe) sitcom, starring pre-Munster Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis as cops.
Car 54 actually is from the early 60s, but other than that, yes, it is a sitcom (and a very good one at that), featuring the above mentioned people. It's pretty much a show about the lives of two police officers.