Your Thoughts: A Special Sesame Street Christmas DVD and CD

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
So, here's what happened:

Today, I did my Christmas shopping (ALL of it; You will never find me in a store in December - I care too much about my personal safety), and I walked on into Toys 'R' Us and, it happened... I finally bought Happy Holidays from Sesame Street!!!!

Thanks to my first copy of A Special Sesame Street Christmas coming to me broken (Read the story above if you don't know), I not only own Christmas Eve on Sesame Street before owning the OTHER 1978 Sesame Christmas special, but I also have Elmo Saves Christmas and a copy of Elmo's World: Happy Holidays that I will never touch. :smile:
Three specials much better than A Special Sesame Street Christmas... just sayin'.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Three specials much better than A Special Sesame Street Christmas... just sayin'.
Well, to be fair, I think I would rather watch A Special Sesame Street Christmas than a full hour of Elmo's World. :stick_out_tongue:

But yes, I'm quite happy to own the other two. I can finally retire my VHS copies. :smile:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, I think I would rather watch A Special Sesame Street Christmas than a full hour of Elmo's World. :stick_out_tongue:
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually seen the Elmo's World holiday special. The year it aired was the year I stopped watching current Sesame episodes on PBS my local station only showed it once, therefore I missed it. Can't imagine I'm missing much.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually seen the Elmo's World holiday special. The year it aired was the year I stopped watching current Sesame episodes on PBS my local station only showed it once, therefore I missed it. Can't imagine I'm missing much.
I remember seeing it years ago. Bert and Rosita do a nativity play, which is kind of interesting (I think Cookie Monster was one of the three wisemen, who brings cookies to the baby... then eats them... :insatiable:), but hey, you can see that on YouTube.

Elmo also visits Santa at the end, and I think they sing a song.

Aside from all that, I can only recall typical Elmo's World fare.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
In my own humble opinion, they will NEVER top Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. The Elmo's World Holidays special is pretty cool, because it explores other holidays like Hanukkah and Kwanzaa (a good lesson of other celebrations and cultures), as well as featuring Kelly Ripa who I thought played her role and well (and wasn't bad to look at either). Elmo Saves Christmas was pretty cool, (loved Lightening the Reindeer as well as the tree selling bits with Grover) BUT...A Special Sesame Street Christmas, I hate to say it, was very lackluster. I bought it from Amazon and watched with my family, and we all agreed that it wasn't as good as the others. I wanted it because I collect all of the Sesame and Muppets DVD's, and I know you all have posted your thoughts and background information on this special so I won't be redundant...but I have it, I may watch it again, and most of all I am glad it was released.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember seeing it years ago. Bert and Rosita do a nativity play, which is kind of interesting (I think Cookie Monster was one of the three wisemen, who brings cookies to the baby... then eats them... :insatiable:), but hey, you can see that on YouTube.

The fact that they're brave enough to do the Nativity story in a kid's show and make it work (sorry, Animaniacs... it would have been so much funnier if you spent the short harassing King Harrod) makes it more than just an Elmo's World extended episode to me. Though I hate how all the Hanukkah stuff was recycled in the new Shalom Sesame series. Plus, at least there was that minor plot of Elmo not knowing what to get Dorothy. EW never has a plot. That's why it's so off.

In my own humble opinion, they will NEVER top Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.
True words, man. There's something very special about CEOSS... it even incorporated Muppet/Kid talk spots and had multiple intersecting plots. Not to mention the character development on Oscar. To have him basically tease and yell at Big Bird through the entire beginning, and genuinely be the most concerned that he's missing? That's Oscar to me. Elmo Saves Christmas is very good as well. Not quite CEOSS, but you have what could very well have been Kermit's last reporting gig on the series. Christmas Countdown is kinda schizophrenic, but has some genuinely fun moments. I refuse to acknowledge A Sesame Street Christmas Clipshow Carol since it seems like a wasted concept... but at the very bottom for me is Very Special Christmas. All because it was made by people who didn't understand Sesame Street and wanted a generic variety special attached to a popular show. Even (bite my tongue) the Star Wars Holiday disaster had more care to the source material.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
The fact that they're brave enough to do the Nativity story in a kid's show and make it work (sorry, Animaniacs... it would have been so much funnier if you spent the short harassing King Harrod) makes it more than just an Elmo's World extended episode to me. Though I hate how all the Hanukkah stuff was recycled in the new Shalom Sesame series. Plus, at least there was that minor plot of Elmo not knowing what to get Dorothy. EW never has a plot. That's why it's so off.

True words, man. There's something very special about CEOSS... it even incorporated Muppet/Kid talk spots and had multiple intersecting plots. Not to mention the character development on Oscar. To have him basically tease and yell at Big Bird through the entire beginning, and genuinely be the most concerned that he's missing? That's Oscar to me. Elmo Saves Christmas is very good as well. Not quite CEOSS, but you have what could very well have been Kermit's last reporting gig on the series. Christmas Countdown is kinda schizophrenic, but has some genuinely fun moments. I refuse to acknowledge A Sesame Street Christmas Clipshow Carol since it seems like a wasted concept... but at the very bottom for me is Very Special Christmas. All because it was made by people who didn't understand Sesame Street and wanted a generic variety special attached to a popular show. Even (bite my tongue) the Star Wars Holiday disaster had more care to the source material.
Ha ha...The infamous Star Wars Holiday Special!! At least that show introduced the world to Boba Fett. I had almost forgotten about A Sesame Street Christmas Carol...what was that? Good call man!!

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
The fact that they're brave enough to do the Nativity story in a kid's show and make it work makes it more than just an Elmo's World extended episode to me..
Even as an atheist, I have to admit that it took guts to do. Although it's not the only modern children's show to tackle it (Barney and his friends once sang "O Little Town of Bethlehem" with a nativity set, and the Wiggles' Christmas videos are chocked full of religious songs), it's certainly worth noting.

I remember quite disliking Elmo's Christmas Countdown - It just felt like another excuse to say "LOOK, YOU KNOW WHO THESE GUEST STARS ARE!!" and not to give any real spotlight on the magic of the Muppet characters in it. (I've seen A Special Sesame Street Christmas several times since my last viewing of Christmas Countdown, so I can't say how the two compare, though I can't imagine that they'll stay equal)

Elmo Saves Christmas isn't nearly as good as Christmas Eve, but having watched it recently (From the Happy Holidays set I bought last week) I can say that it is a pretty nice Christmas special.

I have no plans to even look at A Sesame Street Christmas Carol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Even as an atheist, I have to admit that it took guts to do.
I am also glad they did the nativity story. People can be far too anal-retentive about avoiding religious symbolism in holidays. Though I think Christmas Eve on Sesame Street did it even better, basically teaching Big Bird about the concept of faith in a more subtle way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ha ha...The infamous Star Wars Holiday Special!! At least that show introduced the world to Boba Fett.
And all that stuff is canon! And it still has a better understanding of the source material than Sesame Street Christmas. The only thing they got right was Oscar being grouchy.

I remember quite disliking Elmo's Christmas Countdown - It just felt like another excuse to say "LOOK, YOU KNOW WHO THESE GUEST STARS ARE!!" and not to give any real spotlight on the magic of the Muppet characters in it. (I've seen A Special Sesame Street Christmas several times since my last viewing of Christmas Countdown, so I can't say how the two compare, though I can't imagine that they'll stay equal)
It has that same celeb over Muppet shortcoming that Very Special had, and the unfortunate tone that seems heavily on warp speed. But I'll give it two things over Very Special... it has all the Muppets in it and I like the celebrities and use of them much better. Some of the skits were actually quite cute. I liked the "I Want a Snuffelupagus for Christmas" bit. The thing that bugs me about Very Special is Leslie Uggams hijacks the special, first of all, and even then, we get one of the Smothers Brothers (which is essentially like getting just Larry from the Three Stooges) and a not singing Michael Jackson before he was famous as a solo artist. That's not to say I don't think Christmas Countdown was kinda screwed up, though. I HATED Charles Blitzen basically trolling Ben Stiller Muppet every 5 seconds, and the ugly storybook backdrop instead of the actual street... it was an eye sore all over.

That's the funny thing, Very Special is too darn quiet, Countdown is too darn loud. Polar opposites of what's wrong with each other.