Your Thoughts: A Special Sesame Street Christmas DVD and CD

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Another big problem I have with A Special Sesame Street Christmas: who is this special aimed at? Sesame's primary target audience at the time was obviously the 3-to-6 demographic despite the best efforts to get parents to watch the show with their kids. But this special has nothing to indicate little kids would enjoy this. I doubt little kids want to sit through five-minute love songs that have nothing to do with Christmas...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see too many things appealing to an adult, either.

That's another thing. Christmas Countdown was very juvenile, but at least it's supposed to play to juveniles. Anne Murray coming on to Big Bird? I don't think anyone wants to see that, kid or adult. This was a complete misfire.

That said, I really wish whoever owned this special owned Out to Lunch. THAT deserves a release much more.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And all that stuff is canon!
In the book "100 Dumbest TV Moments", there's a quote by George Lucas saying that the special is not cannon, "period". I wonder if he's changed his mind or if he's gone back-and-fourth over the years on the subject (like how he often says the whole original trilogy was originally written as one script but has also admitted that that's not true, and wikipedia points out that the original Star Wars script only has a few minor things not in the first movie that appear in the sequels).

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Another big problem I have with A Special Sesame Street Christmas: who is this special aimed at? Sesame's primary target audience at the time was obviously the 3-to-6 demographic despite the best efforts to get parents to watch the show with their kids. But this special has nothing to indicate little kids would enjoy this. I doubt little kids want to sit through five-minute love songs that have nothing to do with Christmas...
Let me just point something out quickly, John - I talk about that in my upcoming review. I've already written that specific section, so don't go around crediting yourself when it comes to air. :stick_out_tongue:

By the way, happy (belated) birthday! :smile:

http://www.toughpigs.com/special-sesame-christmas-1/

^Toughpigs review. Apparently, the reviews on the back are completely fake. not much of a surprise there.
That certainly explains why somebody would say "Oscar and MJ - Love it!" when Michael Jackson takes up... What? 50 seconds of this special?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
That certainly explains why somebody would say "Oscar and MJ - Love it!" when Michael Jackson takes up... What? 50 seconds of this special?
If you check the DVD's Amazon page, it's has extremely positive reviews by people who only seem to review releases from the distributor of this release. Makes you wonder...

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
If you check the DVD's Amazon page, it's has extremely positive reviews by people who only seem to review releases from the distributor of this release. Makes you wonder...
We're being Chris Bores'd here, eh? Now... HOW did this company obtain the rights to this thing again?!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
We're being Chris Bores'd here, eh? Now... HOW did this company obtain the rights to this thing again?!
Because it seems they own everything this Bob Banner guy produced. My guess is that Sesame Workshop never owned this special, so it was completely up to Banner to release. Once this Legendary Pictures Alliance or whatever they are called got the rights to his stuff, they came across this.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
A Special Sesame Street Christmas is a "fun, new and exciting Christmas CD for everyone!" eh? Yeah... no it isn't. That like saying that vampires sparkle, or that (ware)wolves can change at will. Not buying it, guys.

My free replacement copy has shipped. Hopefully, it doesn't come to me horribly damaged like the last one did. :stick_out_tongue:

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Because it seems they own everything this Bob Banner guy produced. My guess is that Sesame Workshop never owned this special, so it was completely up to Banner to release. Once this Legendary Pictures Alliance or whatever they are called got the rights to his stuff, they came across this.
Fair enough. But still, with all of that copyrighted music (Especially with "You Needed Me" being the regular studio recording), I'm surprised this is seeing any light at all on DVD...