Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
That's the thing, no one seems to get that you can't just pick up a character and start performing them. You have to truly known and understand all facets of the character's personality. You have to connect to the character and be able to relate to them. Recasting is much more than doing an impersonation with a puppet on hand.
Yes, exactly. Impersonation isn't what's needed to take on a character. You have to know everything about the character. How it thinks, how it would react to a give situation, etc.

David Rudman knew Richard Hunt well, so he seemed like a natural choice for taking on Scooter and Janice. Jerry probably knew Richard even better, so natuarlly he acted as a good mentor for David. And Jerry had said in the past that he chose Matt Vogel to take over for most of his characters because Matt seemed to understand him best. Same goes for Steve taking over Kermit from Jim. Though you could argue that it was a different story with Eric taking over Frank's characters, but nevertheless, Eric had already been around the Muppets for awhile.

And as much as I hate telling people who so desperately want to become Muppet performers, and feel that they're suited for taking on already existing characters, they should know the truth.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
But he didn't. Remember, when the first accuser came forward, Kevin immediately took a leave of absense from the show, and then once the second accuser came forward (and prompted the first to recant his recant), then he resigned permanently.
The initial accusation happened in June. It just didn't become public until recently (which I believe is when Kevin left. If I'm wrong, please correct me). Fox's concern is that Sesame still had Clash working, despite being aware of the claims.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I hate to hear that Mo....If you need to talk, yell cuss of a sholder to cry on, feel free to send me a pm. (That gose for anyone else who may just need to talk as well)
I may want to take you up on that offer, Dwayne. My life is pretty crappy as well, maybe I'll message you later on.

This is also a different ballgame, where it might not be wise for the new performer to try and make the character his own, this isn't like when Marty took over for Snuffy and Telly and eventually made them his own as opposed to trying to immitate Jerry's Snuffy and Brian's Telly, or even when Kevin virtually reinvented Elmo altogether after he was passed by Brian, and eventually Richard.
Yeah. I know what you mean. We'd definitely want whoever performs Elmo next to at least sound like Kevin's Elmo since he was the one who made him what we know today. For anything to happen otherwise might be like Eric Jacobson doing a Richard Hunt-like voice for Miss Piggy, so I'm glad he didn't go down that route. Yet Jerry Nelson who was the original Statler returned to perform him again after Richard died, so he went back to the original voice, (only making him sound a bit more energetic and lively than in the TMS pilot), but I guess that was because they felt that he wasn't as popular a character as the others. They couldn't do that with Elmo, as someone mentioned, whoever will take over has some big shoes to fill, but recasting Muppets are inevitable, so that's something to keep in mind. The only classic characters who are still played by the original that I can think of are Big Bird (despite Matt Vogel being the understudy), Rizzo and the Great Gonzo as well as Dave's other characters. (Not counting the SS Muppets who came later: ex: Zoe, Rosita, Abby, etc.)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I may want to take you up on that offer, Dwayne. My life is pretty crappy as well, maybe I'll message you later on.

Yeah. I know what you mean. We'd definitely want whoever performs Elmo next to at least sound like Kevin's Elmo since he was the one who made him what we know today. For anything to happen otherwise might be like Eric Jacobson doing a Richard Hunt-like voice for Miss Piggy, so I'm glad he didn't go down that route. Yet Jerry Nelson who was the original Statler returned to perform him again after Richard died, so he went back to the original voice, (only making him sound a bit more energetic and lively than in the TMS pilot), but I guess that was because they felt that he wasn't as popular a character as the others. They couldn't do that with Elmo, as someone mentioned, whoever will take over has some big shoes to fill, but recasting Muppets are inevitable, so that's something to keep in mind. The only classic characters who are still played by the original that I can think of are Big Bird (despite Matt Vogel being the understudy), Rizzo and the Great Gonzo as well as Dave's other characters. (Not counting the SS Muppets who came later: ex: Zoe, Rosita, Abby, etc.)
Sure Hit me up I'm always here....

I'm not really worried about the voice or even the personality of Elmo's new prefromer. My concern is all of the charity/mentoring/teaching work that Kevin did with Elmo, and I just hope that whomeever takes over they will be able, and weilling to do the same.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Dude Looks Like a Lady is getting ready to speak with Dr. Drew here in a little bit about his accusations, he's going to be sharing some "new details" about their relationship with us.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Oh joy that is all I need to make my night complet to hear "dude looks like a lady" pread more slander about Kevin and Sesame...Keep us posted Snothy I don't have cable right now and would love to hear more from this wako!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Currently airing commercials.

So far, DLLAL says that he was on a phone sex line, which he frequented, and that Kevin happened to be on as well, and the two crossed paths. Apparently, both lied about their ages: DLLAL claimed he was 18 when he was really 15, Kevin supposedly claimed he was 36 when he was really 42. Once DLLAL realized the HUGE age difference, he decided to call it off, after he and Kevin dated for at least two weeks.

He says the reason he was drawn to Kevin was because Kevin was the only man he had been with, thus far, who treated him with the most respect, and treated him like an adult (which flattered him); he described Kevin as being very chivalrous, and very much a gentleman, but the idea that he was with someone who was two years older than his mother made him feel uncomfortable, which is why he decided to call it off. He says when he finally told Kevin, he could tell his ego was bruised, but that he took in stride.

DLLAL shared some of his background, saying that he pretty much grew up in foster homes throughout his childhood, but he feels that's what made him as strong as he is today.

EDIT: Okay, okay, hold up here... NOW DLLAL is saying that their relationship was nine years, after he just previously said it was two weeks. He JUST CONTRADICTED HIMSELF! GET YOUR STORY STRAIGHT!

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, so basically, DLLAL says that this lawsuit really isn't about the money, it's about retribution. HOWEVER, he says he will willingly call the lawsuit off, on the condition that Kevin admits and acknowledges their relationship, publically apologizes to him, and never works with minors again. Oh yeah, and he said that once he found out that there were other young men Kevin supposedly took advantage of, he personally felt "naive, stupid, and guilty". He also seems to be implying that Kevin has also been taking advantage of boys as young as 13.

ANOTHER EDIT: So DLLAL is saying that the reason he decided to come forward was because he felt he had a responsibility, as a victim of Kevin's, to make people aware of him having a habit of going onto sex lines and chat rooms to prey on young boys, and to try to prevent this kind of thing from happening to any others. As for why he even hooked up with Kevin in the first place, he says he was in a bad place in his life, he was being abused by his stepfather, nobody else had his back or was supporting him, so since Kevin treated him with so much respect, and so much care, he felt he had finally found someone who could support him. And yes, he also acknowledged that he's aware there are people like us who are questioning his motives behind his coming out and lawsuit... he danced around that, claiming it's more a matter of homophobia.

AND YET ANOTHER EDIT: This is interesting so far: a woman called in, and also pointed out that there were some inconsistencies with his story, but aside from that, she said that he put himself in the position, because he knew, irregardless of the age lies from both parties, that he was getting involved with an older man. You know something? I get the feeling Dr. Drew is backing Cecil's story 100%

CONCLUSION: Another person called in, just to say that the lady who previously called in was a nut, and he too was playing the homophobia card. Afterwards, Dr. Drew did acknowledge in this day and age with the media and everything that many people can make these claims, without having any validility to them, so he wanted to make sure that Cecil meant what he was saying, and that he wasn't just looking to ruin someone's career by making claims. Cecil said that he believed in God with all of his heart, and as such, was incapable of ruining someone else's life and career; he again says he wouldn't have done this if he didn't feel it was the right thing to do, but since he wasn't the only one, he felt he needed to make people aware that Kevin is a predator. He again says that he would just as soon not go through the lawsuit if Kevin would own up to the responsibility of his actions.

SSLFan

Reaction score
This whole thing is getting out of hand. I wish it would just go away now.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow!.....This is going to be a lot worse then I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.