Camp Lazlo

MissMusical12

Reaction score
So.....I was scrolling around Youtube the past few days and then all of a sudden, Camp Lazlo popped into my mind. I haven't watched that show in a few years and I still remember it being one of my favorite shows (Although, I thought the series finale for this show was....really weird. I mean, I liked the episode...but it was a really weird way the series ended. :smirk: ) So, did anyone used to watch this show at all?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I wanted to like this show... I REALLY wanted to like this show, but I didn't. It's almost kind of like how Drtooth has pointed out, many times before, Camp Lazlo pretty much only served as a reminder that Rocko was gone.

Not only that, but it too fell victim to CN's overhype... at the time (and I think they still do), EVERY new show CN got was instantly overhyped: from the get go, there were specials (not episodes, specials), TV movies, merchandising, all of which ruined its credibility.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
I use to love this show I watched it all the time but then i forgot about for ages until I remeberded it one day and went and watched clips of it on youtube

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I hated that show...I didn't even know it was from the same guy who made Rocko until recently...

I always thought they were trying to be Ren and Stimpy only failing on every level to be honest

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wanted to like this show... I REALLY wanted to like this show, but I didn't. It's almost kind of like how Drtooth has pointed out, many times before, Camp Lazlo pretty much only served as a reminder that Rocko was gone.

I have to admit, I do like Camp Lazlo, but it's just one of those sad reminders that just because it's the same creator, doesn't mean it's the same quality because they need the same writers to get the show to work. Of course, let's not forget, one of the writers for Rocko had his own show and left it for other things early on (I'll get to that later). Personally, I blame myself and anyone who wanted this to be as funny as Rocko for it not being as funny as Rocko. We all should have known this was a different show completely, just the same creator and some of the same voice actors. Sucks they didn't get Charlie Adler involved. HE would have made the show funnier. It's enjoyable on its own, just not one of CN's best. Though, I must point out this was CN's weakest and worst line up, just before they started the live action nonsense trying to be Hanna Montana. This line up also introduced Squirrel Boy and my personal least favorite, My Gym Partner is a Monkey. Seriously... MGPIAM had the feeling of a bad Disney Saturday Morning cartoon, which would have lasted a season, that was trying too hard to be a Nicktoon and failing. The line up failed to catch on.

I always thought they were trying to be Ren and Stimpy only failing on every level to be honest
I'd say this more recursively. Hear me out... Spongebob is pretty much the same humor as Rocko's Modern Life, just not quite the same. Given the fact it has some of the same writers, of course. Steven Hillenburg was a head writer for Rocko long before Spongebob. Now, if you ask me, Camp Lazlo is trying to be Spongebob, which was trying to be Rocko. Lazlo is very much like Spongebob, the Camp Counsilor is very much like Squidward, moreso than he is trying to be Mr. Bighead. So, the problem with the show's humor is simple. Spongebob has similar humor to Rocko, Lazlo has similar humor Spongebob, essentially a photocopy of a photocopy that lacked the substance of the one prior.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I've never been able to bring myself to watch a full episode. The bits and pieces I did see reminded me more of Ren and Stimpy *shrugs*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah. It also has a vibe of the unfunny later Games animation "We don't know what's really special about them" Ren and Stimpy's to it, especially the soundtrack.

But it's... kinda enjoyable. I dig it, but out of the CN originals I like, it's the last one on the list. I mean, I never really cared for Mike, Lu and Ogg, but then again, I never bothered watching it either. And honestly, I have a better batting average of liking Nicktoons to CN, but I pretty much like most of what CN did so far. EVEN the new stuff.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hated that show...I didn't even know it was from the same guy who made Rocko until recently...

That's what I thought about Regular Show when it first came out, but Drtooth swears otherwise.

And I don't see any similarities in the humor of Rocko and SpongeBob: I know SpongeBob was created by a former Rocko writer, but the humor of Rocko was more cereberal and edgy (for a kid's show), where as the humor of SpongeBob is more watered-down and slapstick.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's what I thought about Regular Show when it first came out, but Drtooth swears otherwise.

It's more like Clerks with Supernatural stuff happening. Ren and Stimpy is hard to explain, since all the good episodes are author appeal and have a weird 1950's retro vibe that the Games animation team didn't get and just got the "Hey, kids like it because it's gross and has nonsequitor endings." The closest thing they have in common is nostalgia from the authors, Regular Show LOVES the 80's. They clearly live in our time line, but they have cassette tapes and 8 bit games, like they just released them. It's stuck in the 80's similar to Ren and Stimpy's stuck in the 50's... but the similarities end there.

And I don't see any similarities in the humor of Rocko and SpongeBob: I know SpongeBob was created by a former Rocko writer, but the humor of Rocko was more cereberal and edgy (for a kid's show), where as the humor of SpongeBob is more watered-down and slapstick.

It's there... it's painfully obvious when you see it. Just a fuzzy copy of it and more along the lines of if it was like Ralph Bighead's cartoon. If nothing else, Spongebob and Squidward share an exaggerated version of Rocko and Mr. Bighead... only Spongebob is completely stupid and Squidward has a much more comedic depression approach, rather than energetically angry. It's similar, but not quite the same thing... I dunno... someone pointed this out to me years ago, and I forget the specifics... but Spongebob does manage to hide adult jokes in the series as well. Unlike Rocko, they weren't caught because they were a little more subtle. Especially when Spongebob tells the driving instructor, "See you next Tuesday." That was intentional, and I'm not going to explain it.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I have a question about camp lazlo did tom Kenny voice lazlo or someone else