Ricky Gervais in Talks to Star in 'Muppets' Sequel

GURMAN

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure about this. Really isn't a big seat filler they could do so much better than this

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hey, it could work out.

I was just as apprehensive about Jason Segel being involved with the first movie, given how filthy and vulgar his humor tends to be, and just about the only lowbrow thing that was in the first movie was the fart shoes, other than that, Jason proved that he could tone down his usual filth and really respect the Muppets and their intergrity, and I feel he really delivered with the movie, both in writing and acting.

Now then, if the first movie was able to work out well with Segel, I'm sure the sequel will work out well with Gervais; I'm sure he can probably tone down his own questionable humor and "atheistic activism" for the spirit of the Muppets and do them just as much justice and respect that Segel did with the first.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Wow. The negativity here is astounding. Gervais is a perfect pick!

The best Muppet movie stars have largely been character actors like Grodin, Curry and Caine. Many of the best Muppet Shows were ones featuring stars most famous in the UK. Gervais is a big star, he's sought-after and he has a proven track record with Muppets.

This is wonderful news!!!

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
Yes can't wait to see him in the new Muppet movie He's great and he should be great in the Movie :smile:

TheMonsterAteMe

Reaction score
Some of you are fools blinded by your ability to not see anything but the past. Gervais is PERFECT.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
This seems on the same sort of page as Charles Grodin to me. I have a feeling some fans would have had a trouble with his casting if they hadn't grown up with GMC.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What exactly is/was wrong with Charles Grodin? I have a feeling I must have missed some thing; granted, I haven't seen a lot of his other work (except for maybe one of any of those Beethoven movies), but he seems like a pretty decent guy to me. :confused:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
What exactly is/was wrong with Charles Grodin? I have a feeling I must have missed some thing; granted, I haven't seen a lot of his other work (except for maybe one of any of those Beethoven movies), but he seems like a pretty decent guy to me. :confused:
I love Charles Grodin. Maybe you didn't watch a lot of television when Grodin was popular and/or you're part of a different generation, but he has a notoriously unfriendly persona. It's totally a put-on of course. Well, sometimes I'm not so sure. Ha! He enjoys making people around him feel very uncomfortable. Also, his dead-pan act falls in the same sort of area as Gervais.

What I'm saying is that we all grew up with Grodin in Muppet Caper so we naturally accept him without scrutiny. I think a lot of this online criticism is wildly unfair to Gervais and it really doesn't represent the Muppets I grew up with. This casting does!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ah, okay, I guess I can kind of see that now.

Well, y'know, it's not too awful different than, say, Doug Walker: we ALL know he comes off as a cynical a--hole on the internet, especially as Nostalgia Critic, but at the same time, people I know who have actually met him IRL (at conventions and such) say he's just as big an a--hole in person as he is online... HOWEVER, some people (myself kind of included), feel he puts up a front to "stay in character" when he's in public, but we don't know for sure...