The Christmas Toy on The Hub, Sunday Dec. 23rd

snichols1973

Reaction score
DVR alert: Jim Henson's holiday special, The Christmas Toy will be shown on the Hub Network
this Sunday, Dec. 23rd from 8-9 a.m. CST.

In this one-hour Christmas special, Christmas Eve is celebrated at the Jones' home, where the toys in the playroom magically come to life when people are not around.

Following an introduction by Kermit the Frog, who provides a glimpse into the Jones' household as the family makes holiday preparations, the toys talk about the meaning of Christmas and how they will prepare to welcome the new toys that will be given to the Jones children, Jamie and Jesse.

Rugby Tiger, who was Jamie's Christmas present the previous year, remembers that special day, and decides to find a way into a gift box under the tree again this year. But the other toys are worried that he will become "frozen" once he leaves the playroom, and they devise a plan to rescue him.

http://www.muppet.wikia.com/wiki/The_Christmas_Toy

Hubert

Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know about this...I've been slacking terribly on my Muppet special watching this Christmas, so this will be a way to at least cram one more in.

JohnMan418

Reaction score
Have it set to record. First time I'll be watching it. I know it's edited so I'll probably find a VHS copy at a thrift store

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I just got my DVD from KermiClown of this special today (that actually has Kermit's scenes, though pay attention to the ending song on The Hub's edit - you can still hear Henson's Kermit vocals) but if I'm awake for this I'll certainly watch it though.

I hate to keep bringing this up, but it seems like The Hub still has a good relationship with Henson even though Fraggle Rock re-runs are gone. This broadcast makes me optimistic we may continue to see more of the Henson backcatalog on The Hub in the future.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I hate to keep bringing this up, but it seems like The Hub still has a good relationship with Henson even though Fraggle Rock re-runs are gone. This broadcast makes me optimistic we may continue to see more of the Henson backcatalog on The Hub in the future.
Yeah I've been impressed thus far with their willingness to show Henson material. Fraggle Rock is still on their website so you never know, it might come back on rotation eventually.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Yeah I've been impressed thus far with their willingness to show Henson material. Fraggle Rock is still on their website so you never know, it might come back on rotation eventually.
Yeah, they've shown The Christmas Toy every year since The Hub went on the air but last year they only aired The Christmas Toy once very quietly early in the morning right after Thanksgiving. The Sunday before Christmas is a much better timeslot. Maybe next year, they'll finally add Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas to their holiday rotation (I'm surprised no broadcast network hasn't picked it up in the years since Henson has been pushing it as their top-tier Christmas special).