Ricky Gervais in Talks to Star in 'Muppets' Sequel

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't see this as any different than it was in the old days. I see this as a lot of worry about nothing. There has never been a theatrical Muppets-only movie. In fact, the human counterparts are very important to the dynamic of each film. The juxtaposition of normal human beings to the Muppets' fuzzy anarchy is what makes a lot of the humor.

I have always wondered what a Muppets-only movie would be like. The idea does appeal to me. It worked for shows like Emmet Otter. It just becomes a different sort of thing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have always wondered what a Muppets-only movie would be like. The idea does appeal to me. It worked for shows like Emmet Otter. It just becomes a different sort of thing.
That's almost what I said earlier on this page: it works well for these type of specials, Emmet Otter, Bunny Picnic, etc... would it work for an entire movie? Especially theatrical? Perhaps, but I doubt it would be entirely successful. It would probably be overly fanciful of a movie (not that that's a bad thing), sort of like how Jim Frawley originally wanted TMM to take place in a fantasy setting on a soundstrage, but Jim (Henson) wanted to place the Muppets in the real world.

From a producer and puppeteer's viewpoint, I can understand why Jim would want to do that; sure, there's a charming quality to a show or special where it's all puppets only, in fantasy settings, but there's some thing to placing those characters in the real world, interacting with real people, and having those real people really connect with the puppets in that world. I remember Jim saying puppets look so much better outdoors, in the natural light, and I agree, they look spectacular, which is why from time to time, I try to find an excuse to do a project where the setting it outdoors, they really do look more lifelike.

Again, I can go either way: sure, the Muppets probably COULD carry a movie on by themselves, but it wouldn't be as good as other Muppet movies... they kind of NEED humans to interact with, not to mention, sans S&F and the early commercials, the Muppets almost always interacted with humans... what kind of a street would SST be if none of the human characters lived there? It wouldn't look entirely right.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see this as any different than it was in the old days. I see this as a lot of worry about nothing. There has never been a theatrical Muppets-only movie. In fact, the human counterparts are very important to the dynamic of each film. The juxtaposition of normal human beings to the Muppets' fuzzy anarchy is what makes a lot of the humor.
Closest thing is Dark Crystal, but even then the puppets are overdubbed with different actors in some cases. I'd love to see an all Muppet movie, but let's face it. It's fan only appeal.

Not to mention this. Look up ANY Muppet movie on DVD on amazon. They always list the human leads. I've never seen them list Muppet characters or Muppeteers once. So basically what I'm saying is:

Muppet films have always had human leads.

We don't even know what role Ricky's going to play in the movie. He might be the villain, he might be a police superior... Seems Ty's role is that of a police officer. I can see a very Zenagata type role as the bumblingly by the book no nonsense superior.

Heck, we don't even know what the plot is, so we don't know who's going to be what.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Cl
Not to mention this. Look up ANY Muppet movie on DVD on amazon. They always list the human leads. I've never seen them list Muppet characters or Muppeteers once.
I've noticed a number of SST DVDs, particularly the sets like the Old School sets, or the 40 years set, list Jim and Frank.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I personally have nothing against ANY humans being in Muppet films. I understand the need to balance out the human and the Muppet world. I think people are associating the last film because in certain parts it seemed to focus too much on Gary & Mary. However I only found this to be true in the beginning to set the story up and the last half for them to resolve their issues. Pretty much through out the whole film once they met up with Kermit they did just sort of blend into the background and let The Muppets do their thing. I don't see this being an issue not that I really ever considered it any issue in this film at all.

I think this film is gonna be like the original three films. Just pure Muppet fun! :smile:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I worry that a Muppets-only movie would alienate too many non-fan adults. I'm not saying that all wouldn't enjoy it. I just don't think a lot of people wouldn't give it a chance without some recognizable stars. Jim understood this. I do wish Disney or Henson would come out with another Emmet Otter sort of piece. It's just too expensive to create all of those non-CG effects for a modern marketplace that no longer respects that sort of craftsmanship.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I think it could work if they wanted to do some Muppet direct to DVD releases but not for theatrical releases. So I do agree with Jamie on this one. ^^^

Drtooth

Reaction score
I worry that a Muppets-only movie would alienate too many non-fan adults. I'm not saying that all wouldn't enjoy it. I just don't think a lot of people wouldn't give it a chance without some recognizable stars. Jim understood this.
Unfortunately, you need big name stars to move just about any movie. Even if they're just celeb voice actors. I wouldn't be able to see them even get to make an all Muppet movie unless some celeb overdubs a specific movie only character.

But the Muppets were always paired with celebrity human guests. What do you think the TV show was about?

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Put me in the disappointed category on this one. Don't get me wrong, I really like Ricky...for the most part. His original radio shows, podcasts, the office, extras and audiobooks always hit the target with regards to my sense of humour. I spend endless hours listening to his podcasts whilst I'm working and they never fail to amuse, thanks largely to Karl Pilkington really, but Ricky is brilliant in his control of Karl - borderline bullying the poor chap.

That said, his stand up is terrible - really poor. But that in tolerable when compared to his motion pictures. Ghost Town was OK at best but the Invention of Lying was unfunny, flawed and difficult to watch without getting infuriated. It had such a promising premise, but failed miserably to deliver in the laughs department. Then theres the Night at the Museum movies...enough said. Over time his self deprecating humour has been replaced with arrogance he once mocked. He seems to have adopted a superiority complex that manifests in a "look at me" way. Again, it's best to remind everyone, I love the guy, it's just theres a side to his more recent comedy that grates, like nails down a blackboard.

When it was announced he was to appear in "The Muppets" I thought "Great!!". A cameo appearance with the Muppets could have been a match made in heaven. However, having seen the omitted scene on the Blu Ray, I am so glad they removed it from the final film.

When I heard Christopher Waltz was to appear in the sequel to "The Muppets" (sorry I can't bring myself to call it "The Muppets 2" - nooooo way!!!". I thought it was a stroke of genius. Like Michael Caine, an actor of high caliber whose "acting chops" would prove a brilliant juxaposition with the Muppets irreverent humour. I was disappointed when he had to drop out and was replaced by Ty Burell (something that reeks of nepotism if you ask me). Again, don't get me wrong - I adore Modern Family, Ty Burell particularly makes me laugh (although Sophia Vergara will always be my number 1 reason to watch the show...and invest in a 3D TV!!). I just don't think he's reached the caliber to lead a Muppet movie.

Jason Segal did a fantasic job with "the Muppets". Whilst I wouldn't have chosen him to lead the Muppets comeback, it can't be argued that with him, we would not have seen the Muppets return to the big screen in such a way. He was also very clever to limit his screen presence, taking a backseat to allow the Muppets to shine through - something I can NEVER see Ricky Gervais do...ever!!

Now, I am prepared to get egg all over my face once again. Disney have showed they finally know what they are doing with our favourite felt friends. I was petrified how "The Muppets" was going to turn out and, although its not without some flaws, it's a film that seems to get stronger with each viewing*. Ricky Gervais is a comic with some "edge" and hopefully the writers will exploit this to give us back some of the Muppets humour from yesteryear.

Time will tell, but second time around, I really slightly more relaxed in anticipation of whats coming...I just hope they don't drop the ball!!

*With the exception of Eric's Fozzie, which get's more and more annoying the more I see it. As I've said previously, the new puppet doesn't help, but the way Fozzie is "developing" under Eric makes him one of my least favourite characters when, in Franks old days, I'd have placed him a close "Number 2" to Kermit** :frown:

**Don't hate (it's Christmas), this is just my opinion coming from a huge Fozzie fan!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
*With the exception of Eric's Fozzie, which get's more and more annoying the more I see it. As I've said previously, the new puppet doesn't help, but the way Fozzie is "developing" under Eric makes him one of my least favourite characters when, in Franks old days, I'd have placed him a close "Number 2" to Kermit** :frown:
I don't see why. Any time in the movie Fozzie didn't sound like Fozzie, you can tell it was ADR. It was always off screen at the worst moments. Plus, it seems that Fozzie was Flanderized ever since MTi, and if he continued down that track, even with Frank, he would have been a blithering idiot instead of the naive comedian that we all know. Fozzie was pretty much his previous self ever since Eric took over. If you don't believe me, check out MFS. He seems particularly dumb in that one. MTI has the excuse he was playing a character.